soc. sec. disability

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2008 at 8:07 pm

has anyone had any trouble getting soc. sec. (who is at below retirement age) due to there disabilities aquired wiyh the gbs? does anyone have any suggestions on how to make claims and hearings to come quicker. i submitted a clasim in 6/06 due to other disabilities and got denied, when i got gbs in 10/2006 wee refiled and have been denied 2 times. i have a hearing set for june 2009.is this normal or should something else be being done and what? any sugguestions or comments welcome.
      istaroaz

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Hi! I have a ton of disability questions, too. I just exhausted my short-term disability, so i have no income now. I wish i could go back to work, but that is not possible, so i wonder about any kind of disability i could get until im well enough to work again.

I read somewhere in the past few days that there is a list of diagnoses and that if your specific diagnosis isnt on that list, then the process takes forever! This info was from a professional on a gbs website, but i dont remember which one. I do remember her saying to keep a journal of MEASURABLE information. For example, rather than saying that you can’t walk very far, you should write, “Today, I could only take ten steps before i had to rest, related to shortness of breath and weakness. It took 15 minutes of rest before i regained enough strength to walk another 10 steps”.

If i find that site again, i will let you know. Good luck!

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2008 at 8:24 am

I found the message boards at this site helpful when I applied for disabilty.
      [url]http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/boards/[/url] There was some good information and I followed the route that Jamie suggested. I was very honest about my ablitlities or should I say lack there of but I put them in very measurable terms. Rather than just saying I cannot prepare meals I would say something like “unable to stand longer than 5 minutes due to pain/soreness in ankles, unable to lift a jug of milk, unable to empty dishwasher due to balence of bending over and lifting item to cupboard. I quantified the number of words I was able to type now verses before I got sick. Basically I just went thru each part of my life and qualified how the disablity impacted it based on my old job. I was fortunate to be approved for 18 mos on my first try. I should be having a review again soon. 😮 Good Luck

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2008 at 11:35 am

My husband, Gary, contracted GBS in April 2007. He is unable to use his arms or hands at all. I waited until April 2008 to file for his SS disability. We had our telephone interview on April 22, 2008. I sent in all our paper work and we were approved as of yesterday, June 4, 2008. I had no idea that this would be approved as quick as it was! The Lord has certainly answered our prayers!My husband has worked at the same job for almost 30 years and when this hit him last year it was devastating for all of us. My mom was diagnosed with lymphoma in July 2007 and she passed away in Jan. of this year. I must say it has been a long and hard year but I have put all my faith in the lord and knew that he would take care of me and my family. We have had so many people praying for us and still praying that Gary will eventually get well one day. My husband was very active before this hit him. He took care of himself, he walked 3-4 miles a day after working 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, but through it all he has maintained a good and positive attitude, which I think has helped him improve. He still cannot feed, shave or bathe himself but hopefully one day with the grace of God he will be able to return to the man he was before this devastating disease hit him. God bless you all!
      Gary’ wife: Debbie

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Debbie,

Welcome to the forum. It is caregiver’s like you who are truly a blessing to those of us affected by GBS. Gary is so lucky to have you in his life. God Bless. And you are right, the Lord can and does look out for us.

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2008 at 11:37 pm

Wow! I’m so happy to hear that you folks are getting the help you deserve! I have worked since i was 12 years-old, first in the family business. I was raised by and am married to workaholics, so not working seems so unnatural. When i tell people i dont work anymore, they say, “Man, I wish i didn’t have to work!”, and that upsets me. They obviously don’t understand. Im sure you all agree that the though of being able to work, to buy the things you’ve saved for all of your life, would be wonderful. In the cases where that is not an option, though, it makes me feel better to know that hard-working people do get some kind of respect when they fall ill. Best of luck to you all!

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2008 at 11:44 pm

Hey! I’m from michigan, too! Isnt shelby twp near flint or saginaw? Im right in the middle of the mitten. We live in a gorgous state! Dont you agree? Have you heard that new kid rock song called, “All summer long”? It’s about spending the summer on the beach in northern michigan. It’s awesome! My dad even loves it! There’s a bit of bob seger in it, too! First time i heard it, i cried. Still do! Happy tears, of course! Have you been able to hook up with Jerimy, yet? I’m hoping to meet him this summer, if my health and the baby allow. Take care!

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Jamie I sent you a private message….to get those you click on the Private message in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

• Anonymous
      July 2, 2008 at 12:53 am

I was just informed to day that i have a hearing set for August 19th can anyone help me with what i will need or what i should do and have for this hearing so i can get approved please help……. thank you

• Anonymous
      July 2, 2008 at 10:08 pm

There is a great book out by NOLO that gives advise on how to file for Social Security Disability. There are specific terms and explainations of your illness that SSD looks for. I have been turned down twice before hiring an attorney and having a hearing. It took me three and one half years for approval. I heard about this book after hiring an attorney, purchased it, and was very impressed with the information it contained. There are specific illnesses that are supposed to be “automatic approvals” but, they overlook their own list and deny claims. Best of luck to you. If I can be of any help let me know.

• Anonymous
      July 3, 2008 at 12:32 am

First we need to make the distinction between SSD & SSI. SSI is for those people who qualify as to being diabled, but do not have enough quarter hours worked to get SSD. They are usually younger people (I had students 18 years of age getting SSI for dx such as bipolar disorder, shizophrenia, or severe depression.) But one must qualify for SSI by being considered low-income & cannot have assetts totaling over $2,000. This includes your automobile, computer, savings, etc.

Most on this forum are people who have lengthier work records, & so do qualify for SSD as far as quarter hours. Now, the main criteria that is the most important thing is a letter from your doctor, preferably your neurologist who knows the most about GBS or CIDP, saying that you CANNOT work in any capacity for at least 12 months. Even then many will be denied, because our government is under the assumption that most people who are denied once will give up.

The best time to apply is while you are still getting short term disability from your last employer; that is why there is a 6 month waiting period, even for people who are severely disabled. The government assumes that most employers offer this 6 month period of time for people to collect from their previous employer. It also helps to be older; someone who is 50 or oler is much more likely to get SSD than someone who is 30. They are also less likely to get reviewed, as they consider people over 50 “umemployable” as far as starting a new career. For the younger people, they always look to “desk jobs” as a job anyone can do. They don’t realize that for some of us, the loss of our hands kind of rules out that aspect. Or even a weak voice, such as I now have, can rule out jobs such as telemarketing or receptionist jobs.

I was so severely disabled by progressive CIDP in such a short period of time, that I was approved over the phone in a week’s time; I was 48 at the time & had been teaching. Even 6 years later, having made many improvements, I still cannot think of any job that I can do. I have only been reviewed once, & that was just over the phone. But if you have to resort to an attorney, I believe that they take about $5,000 & you do get back pay going back to the time you first applied. Certainly better than giving up…
      Pam