Soapy’s Music Room, Come on in, chat

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2006 at 2:24 pm

————-

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2006 at 4:01 pm

Soapy,

I bought a squire telecaster, hard case, pod 2, and various utensils which all came out to be around $650 I think. haven’t been playing it at all but i’m trying to get a “place” set up where all i have to do is go sit down and goof around.

i got my wife a yamaha p120 a couple years back but i don’t think she’s ever really messed with it much. don’t really know much about it. i took organ lessons as a kid. wish i’d have stayed with them now. who would have known that folks like the doors would use one of those good old hammond organs with that original dolby sound? had i known it would grow into the rock world, i would have been set. as it was, i only heard similar sounding organs on records made from night club acts, you know “well the shark babe … has a bite.yeah…yadayadayada” and “what’s new pussy cat woooaaaooaoooaaoaoao …” so i gave it up with the intention of learning that really cool instrament, the electric guitar. but i had parents who were into Englbert Humperdink or however you spell it, and Herb Alpert, and some of the crooners. not that there’s anything wrong with that! but they were really “square” when it came to music. they were not greasers by any stretch of the imagination so electric guitar came as a total repulsive shock to them.

needless to say, i never figured out that most rock groups played the guitar more towards the body on the frett-board, so i never could find the right sound. not to mention, i was into partying and didn’t take the time to just sit down and play the thing, so i never was any good. there’s only so much you can learn on your own when you read music, can’t play by ear, and buy all your sheet music from mall music stores :confused:

so, thought i’d learn it in college. thinking “if i take classical guitar and learn it that way i ought to be better than any play by ear rocker out there”. classical requires 8 hours a day practice and more time studying theory, etc. and once again, partying got in the way! I went to Western Kentucky University because they made the top 10 Rollingstone Magazine party schools in the country sometime in the mid to late 70’s and man did I party! I think I was there for 2 semesters before I realized that it was college and allot tougher than high school! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

I learned a few chords and could strum out a few songs, desperado, peaceful easy feeling, horse with no name, … and when my voice is in top shape I can sound allot like James Taylor (my favorite artist) although I’ll never have his range – and it’ll be awhile before i learn some of his songs. he’s a musical genius nowadays and his chord progressions have become more and more complex over the years. I’ve made up few songs over the years, a couple inspirational numbers and a really fun campfire song called “Toys are Fun” – you know, one of those where folks make up verses one after the other around the fire, the funnier the better (or dirtier).

to be continued! gotta go to a fish fry…

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2006 at 4:48 pm

If you wear your bass high, you play with your heart.
      If you wear it in the middle, you play with your gut.
      If you wear it low, you play with your balls.

• Anonymous
      July 22, 2006 at 7:40 am

well, fish fry wasn’t much fun. mom and dad were busy working it and a pretty strong weather front came through and closed down all of the kids attractions, so we ate quickly and high-tailed it out of there! at least there’s rain for a change, maybe all me trees will survive afterall.

let’s see, where was i, well that’s just about the long and the short of it really. then i got into keeping up with the jones’ and making money – which i’ve never made much of anyway – tried to run a pc repair business on the side and put me in debt over 10 years ago which i’ve never recovered from and then, WHAM the good old CIDP friend came to visit. music and guitar and keyboards just had to take a back seat.

Rituxan seems to be doing great for me though. i’m so much better now and i’m trying to get a “music room” set up here at the house where i can start playin’ again. i have 8 years of “letting-things-slide” to catch up on around the house but eventually i’ll get there. of course, one other thing i’ve been spending spare time on is my spiritual life. i’ve been doing allot of bible study and reading over the past 4 years so that’s cut into music time as well. then there’s the boy. at 7 1/2 years old he’s getting into doing some extra things like baseball. i’m making allot of excuses seems like, doesn’t it? probably more than you wanted to know as well. however, the itch to get back to playing again is getting stronger by the day. also, a guy at work has turned me on to tabulature and offered to help me out with getting a jump on some technique etc.

guess that’s about it for now.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 9:37 am

I been looking to pick up a cheep guitar. This weekend there where 3 local on craigslist. So, ahhh I got 3 guitars I don’t know how to play..:cool:
      I figured the sherriff would put me in jail, but she wants to hang 2 of em up on the wall to decorate, my music/bedroom. The black one and the red one. There is a perfect place for them on each side of the big window. The Keyboard sits in the middle. Can’t play it much either. I bet u fellers wish u had a woman like mine huh? yup, I’m a lucky man.:cool: you know why she loves me don’t ya. Bass players find the bottom.

Ain’t it good to be alive and be in Tennessee.

Hell yeah.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 9:52 am

Eric,
      I got one keeper out of the deal. All are electric, strat copies. I got a nasty soundin guitar amp also. I got a nice big guitar chart of the chords, ie. poster size. I am going to try and learn some chords. I would much rather play bass, so I don’t see myself becoming the next great guitar picker. I got em for when a friend stops by, so we can jam. So practice up, you don’t even have to roadie your stuff over, just show up. If no one comes to the door, its because the music is too loud, just follow it on in, thats what everyone else does.
      Only one song away from being a millionare..

Hell yeah.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 5:41 pm

[COLOR=red]Soapy[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000]I can play the triangle if you need![/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
      [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Triangle_instrument.png[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 6:32 pm

Well I suppose so Cap N dave,
      At least you have your own… Thats always a big plus. I remember we sold our soul once to the AMVETS, to get a keyboard for this guy…Seems like no one had a job back then.. * Looks around* not much has changed round here.
      Thanks for postin Cap N, I lost alot of friends when I started havin LSD flashbacks in the Tavern. I’m over that.. *cough*

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 7:34 pm

Soapy and Eric,

My husband hosts something called PLOJ at our home about two to three times a year. Originally it was started by a young guy whom he employed and had his own band (and had rather a bohemian following), and we were asked to host it a few times. Then that band broke up, and we have started out own version of PLOJ. It is turning out to me less of an [FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana]eclectic gathering, and more of some awsome good ‘oldies’ rock and blues type music[/FONT].[/FONT]
      [FONT=Arial][/FONT]
      People wander in anytime from 7 pm, and it normally ends between 1 and 4am. (Let me assure you guys that I have long gone upstairs to try and sleep). Some people only stay for an hour or two, others the whole night. It really is a great atmosphere.

I am going to post the invite below this, as it is too long and it wont let me post with this posting

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]

[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 7:42 pm

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Here is the invite we send out for PLOJ ๐Ÿ™‚ [/FONT][/FONT]
      [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial][quote]
      [B][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][SIZE=2]What’s a PLOJ?[/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]The world isn’t full of enough gatherings. The world isn’t full of enough music. The world isn’t full of enough food … The PLOJes solve all of the above problems by bringing dozens of musicians, music Lovers and their friends together. People bring food, people bring their enthusiasm, their voices, whatever, and we have a little celebration. In the past we’ve had flutes, drums, guitars, opera, fire eating, sword swallowing (this is all true), basses, pianos, bazoukis & poetry – We challenge you to bring something new. This is part song-circle, part open jam, and even if you want to just sit on the deck and listen, we encourage anyone and everyone to come on out.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]A PLOJ may sound like something you step in, but this is an ongoing festivity of music and mayhem, beauty and food, friendship and fuss.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
      [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]
      [/FONT][/FONT][B][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][SIZE=2]All Are Welcome… [/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B]
      [SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Originally, when PLOJes were held at different private residences, they were by invitation only. The [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Northern Virginia[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial] chapter of PLOJ is still held at a private residence and Listeners and players are all invited, though everyone should bring a dish of food. Desserts are discouraged, because that usually means it’s knee-deep in cookies and cake. Frequently, there are both vegetarian and meaty meals. [/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]We do have a minimum age limit – 11 years old – as having very young children running around in a small venue with expensive equipment around is not a good recipe!! There is no maximum age limit – so if you want to bring your great great grandparents, then feel free (as long as they are not transported in a decorative urn!!)[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]And the music is as eclectic as the eats – there are rockers and folkies and poets and rap artists – but it all stays acoustic. Original artists and cover artists are welcomed. Be aware that this is more than just a song circle – it’s also a jam. Though people will respect your wishes, unless you state that you want to perform solo, people will feel free to sing along, play along and tap more than their toes. Please respect other peoples music genres – you will hear a mixture of Christian music, rap and good old rock and roll – the only unofficial rule is NO BARRY MANILOW SONGS!! [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Percussionists are invited, but as with all musicians please stay aware of (and courteous with) your volume. There is also often a bass player or three, but only one bass amp may be set up at any given time. This is also true for keyboards. Recently, there have been difficulties with djembes, as their bass tones drown everything else out. There is limited space for a drum kit and one will be provided, but other percussion toys that respect the size and climate of the venue are certainly encouraged. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]It’s a great place to network, or just informally make friends. It’s a great place to swap songs and swap recipes. It’s a great place just to sit back and listen – and knit, for some reason. Big knitting circles at the PLOJ. Go fig. We even had somebody knitting chain mail at one PLOJ.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]This is all ages – please, no drugs or outside alcohol. This is acoustic. See more about how the mechanics of a PLOJ works in the Etiquette section.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
      [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]
      [/FONT][/FONT][B][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][SIZE=2]PLOJ Etiquette[/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Finally attracted to a PLOJ, you look sheepishly around…[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
      [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]You’ve parked, and you’re meeting a bunch of new people. You have your mandolin in one hand, your electric guitar in the other and you’ve forced your boyfriend/dog/wife/packhorse to haul your amplifier, drum kit, food item and songbook. In your pocket you’ve got your contact book, a bunch of fliers and a bag of weed. Ah, musicians, a predictable lot.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Well, first off, leave that bag of weed at the door… or better yet, in your car. These are all-age parties, and drug free. Now, some people have previously expressed the idea that you can’t properly appreciate music unless you’re high, stoned, rolling, tripping, dying, whathaveyou, but that is not the belief of the organizers. Alcohol IS served but we monitor age restrictions VERY carefully, and its consumption should be respectful of the group – beer & wine only – no hard liquor. While you’re out there, drop off your amp and kit, too. Think acoustic, guys. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Stumble inside with your load o stuff, thoughts, ideas, songs and pack beast of choice. Food all ends up in the kitchen. There is not a lot of room to spare, so instrument cases might be best left in your car, if possible. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Please, be aware of what’s going on around you. You might be entering during a Quiet Moment. Get drinks from the kitchen, say hey to the hosts, Jerry & Alison, and then figure out where to sit. If you’ve brought a cushion or something, sprawl on the floor. Your hosts are floating around somewhere. Feel free to say hey, and they’ll do their best to make you feel Loved and welcomed. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Music etiquette is tricky, but really it all comes down to listening. When you’ve got so many people playing, it’s useful to have a base-line for your tuning. If you’ve got a tuner, go ahead and use it. We try to have everything tuned to 440 rather than some circumstantial communal A. It makes Life easier for the harmonica players and the pianists. It also doesn’t hurt to bring a guitar stand. Dozens of precariously balanced instruments beg for trouble. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]At the PLOJes, there are some people who are there to jam, others there to share their songs and all sorts of other things are going on at the same time. Listen to yourself; listen to the other people in the room. This isn’t an open mic, and there isn’t a list. When you see an opening in the music, jump in. In any song, there will always be a “leader” – and if they can’t be heard, the whole thing falls apart. If you’re playing too loud to hear the changes initiated by the person leading the music, you’re playing too loud. This is the reason electric instruments and big drums are banned – it’s just too easy for them to get out of control. The most important thing is that we’re all having a good time. Don’t let ego get in the way of that. If you’re asked to turn down, or if someone specifically wants to play a song alone, don’t be offended. Also, with this statement made, please talk to one another if you can’t hear something.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Please, keep in mind that your hosts, Jerry &[/SIZE] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Alison [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]are there to make you feel welcome, but they sometimes have to maintain a little bit of order, too. Don’t be offended if they ask you to turn down, or give someone else a turn. Generally, the hosts guide the flow. [/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Don’t be afraid to mess up. You’re among friends here (or you’re about to be), all just having a good time together. The goal of PLOJ is not the goal of most music parties and open mics which are often covers for networking and selling CDs and filling your mailing lists. At a PLOJ, you’re meeting friends. Sure, pass cards to one another, and trade CDs – but try to avoid music community politics at all costs. Our music world is cut throat and merciless, but only because it’s allowed to stay that way. A COMMUNITY of ARTISTS can be built if we all just get past the business of our egos for a bit. It’s a worthy goal, and for years, over and over again, people have come together to realize it. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Stay as long as you like, play as much as you like, and eat. Pick up after yourself, don’t walk off with the wrong guitar and be open to meeting some new people. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
      [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]And again, have fun.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
      [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]
      [/FONT][/FONT][B][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][B][SIZE=2]A History of PLOJ:[/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/B]
      [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]The Pot Luck Open Jam was initially created by Syl and Sara Smith and ilyAIMY’s Rob Hinkal in 1999. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Rob, with a penchant for unwieldy acronyms, dubbed the thing PLOJ, and after the success of the first one, it quickly became tradition.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Every PLOJ is different. [/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]We are the unofficial[/SIZE] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Northern Virginia[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial] chapter of PLOJ.[/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]
      [/quote]

[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 7:57 pm

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Hey, Ali…how cool is that!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 10:44 pm

[QUOTE=Debi][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Hey, Ali…how cool is that!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
      *nods in agreement*

Ali,
      So, when be the next one? I hope I can member all those rules…Speakin of rules…

I got to play some strange places in my dayz. (Hard to top Lee’s about the house of ill repute though) There is a place outside of Knoxville tn. called Norris. Big lake, dam and so on. They had a park there, and the Army Core Of Engineers, (don’t ask, cause I haven’t a clue) built a stage around the trees in a kinda natural ampitheater place. They had seats in the hillsides around it and ck this, Built tree houses connected by huge wooden tunnels in the trees around the area. Real purdy, ya know. To this day I have never seen a treehouse setup quite that large… Taxpayers money at work I mean.
      Anywho, it was supposed to be a dry party, started about noon and lasted till dark, with different bands/people playing. Police everywhere. I thought I would be slick, and put my beer in an extra large cup. Got on stage, set my cup down, started scanning the crowd for groupies, when I spotted this policeman. He was looking and headed straight for me, almost running. He motioned me over to the edge of the stage. I went over to him and he said ” I can see the head on the beer in that cup from the top of that hill, u need to pour that out”. So much for fooling them boyz. I’m better with rules these dayz, well when I can remember them..

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 11:04 am

Debi,

It really is cool! Sometimes I’m not in the mood for too much noise, but others I really enjoy sitting with everyone and often singing along. Its stress free!

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 11:13 am

Soapy

You make me laugh!!! Trust you to think in terms of rules ๐Ÿ˜ฎ . I think when you are in someones basement and the room is big, but not hall size, you have to make it pleasant for everyone, because on rare occasions you may have the odd weirdo (who you dont know from Adam), who enjoys ruining it for everyone (thank goodness we havent so far). Nobody comes here thinking they have to “follow rules”, they just jam. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 11:23 am

[QUOTE=ali]Soapy

You make me laugh!!! Trust you to think in terms of rules ๐Ÿ˜ฎ . I think when you are in someones basement and the room is big, but not hall size, you have to make it pleasant for everyone, because on rare occasions you may have the [B]odd weirdo (who you dont know from Adam),[/B] who enjoys ruining it for everyone (thank goodness we havent so far). Nobody comes here thinking they have to “follow rules”, they just jam. :D[/QUOTE]

Ali,
      I KNOW HIM!

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 11:37 am

Mmmmmm Soapy, did you really mean you [B]are [/B]him, or do you only [B]know[/B] him? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 11:46 am

*blows Ali a good morning kiss and swaggers away*

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 11:49 am

Hi,

It’s who, not where, I had some great times at and with. All dives with history like lee pointed out. Our band played with James Cotton Blues Band once. Still have a harmonica from James, and he was one horse put away wet one too many times. A walking history book though. Harvey Mandel(Canned Heat guitarist) was a hoot. Had scortch marks on his amp head from laying joints up there while playing. Snorted pepsi with Doug Kershaw(cajun fiddle player) back stage in Reno once. That was interesting.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 12:03 pm

Sweet.

———

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2006 at 12:57 am

I love to listen to country music. My mom sang for years in various bands. She had an opportunity to go to nashville to sing many years ago but gave it up to raise us six kids. My dad also played music his whole life ( they are divorced but she raised us alone sometimes only with money she made from singig). She had such a beautiful voice, i remember her singing house of the rising son, coal miners daughter, coat of many colors, and lots of wonderful oldies. Three of my brothers can play guitars like you would not believe. One plays bass, one plays rythmn and one plays lead. They can all sing and i love to sit and just listen to them pick. i don’t think any of them have ever had the first lesson, they have always played by ear. I know if someone out there heard them they would be impressed, and at 63 my mom can still belt one out every now and then.

stormy

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2006 at 10:39 am

Big Family there. So Stormy, what is your talent. Beauty Queen? ah, Fan Dancer like Marge? Inquiring Minds want to know.

Yesterday, I got one of those guitars I bought out. The one that was nasty lookin. I mean as in dirt. Took the strings off, got some simple green and windex. Cleaned that monkey up. Noticed that one of the tuners seems kinda loose. Have to get Belly Ray over with that spare parts guitar soon.. Need a couple of screws also, and the pots cleaned and, and.. Whew! Well thats enough work for today.

I may have to go see the shrink myself. When I look at guitars, they make me smile. ๐Ÿ˜€

I been readin up on how to do a setup on one. I’m still aways from that tho. Still in the clean / repair stage.

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2006 at 6:55 pm

We have a couple who visits us from the UK twice a year. The guy, Mark and my husband were in a band together from the age of 16 into their 20’s. For the past 3 years, Mark has come out with the express purpose of buying a PRS guitar. Him and his wife drive up to Annapolis and spend a few days there, one of them spent at the store (and have toured the factory) to decide which guitar to buy. I didnt realize there were different models, which is obvious I suppose. The previous 2 times, it has been arranged that they meet Paul Reed Smith at a local bar, and he has signed the guitars in gold permanent marker. Two weeks ago however, he was unable to arrange a meeting for Paul to sign the third one he had just bought. At the moment that very guitar is in our spare bedroom waiting for Mark and Kate to return from a tour of Canada. I have to say that when Mark showed me the guitar the other day, it was almost the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! The workmanship is absolutely exquisite! I cant believe I am not a musician and here I am waxing lyrical about how beautiful a guitar is. for the last number of years, everytime I ask my hubby what he really wants for his birthday, he says a PRS, and my answer is “Yes babe, right .. no problem”.

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2006 at 10:14 am

Ali,

you r so interesting. If you don’t mind me asking, what does you husband do for a living? How did you meet? Just curious. Won’t matter if its private. I looked at those guitars your friend has. Woot!

Well, I worked on learning guitar repair/ setup yesterday. My buddy, Belly Ray, knows this fellar, who knows this other fellar. Ray brought over 2 more guitars for me to put togther. My wife is now watching me for more signs of mental illness. Now I have 5 guitars here, and I don’t play guitar.
      They are cheep strat imatations also. They where bought in a big lot of stuff. Each one was missing something. I selected the best one, and have been useing the other for parts. A good learning experience without the worry of messing up a good guitar. My back, neck, and fingers where sore this morning, so it was good exercise also. Still got a way to go on it. The neck is going to need a shim under it, and I spent last night reading on how to adjust the tremelo.
      It feels good mentally also. After being a maintence man for all those years, the guitars put me back in that trouble shooting / fix it mode. Soon as I had breakfast this morning, I wanted to start on it again.. Todays Sunday tho, so I’m taking the day off. ha
      Well, looking around you can’t walk for the guitars lying in the floor. 3 on the floor, gig bags and a hardshell case, one in a stand, my bass in a stand. Well got to go friends, I think I hear my wife screaming…

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2006 at 6:29 pm

Hi Soapy,

My husband works with computer software, from developement to sales, rather complicated to explain myself. We met at work, he was a director/owner of the company, but it was quite small, about 15. Believe it or not, we weren’t ‘involved’ when I worked there, but I was very close to most of the guys there. We were actually quite close from a friendship point of view, funny thing is, he would always give me advice about my boyfriends, now I know he had ulterior motives ๐Ÿ˜€ . After I left, about 6 of us from my old company would go out for lunch or dinner and at least twice a week – him being one. It was probably 6 or 7 months after I left that we started seeing each other in a romantic context. He has always said it was love at first sight, and has stuck to that story. When I laugh at him about it (sort of in disbelief), he always recounts the afternoon and evening that he first saw me, in great detail. I think its sweet, and I’m lucky he fell in love with me.;)

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2006 at 5:18 pm

[QUOTE=ali]Hi Soapy,

and [B]I’m lucky he fell in love with me[/B].;)[/QUOTE]

I C Y !

[IMG]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/86/women1wo5.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3961/jawdroplh1.gif[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2006 at 8:42 pm

Okay y’all, i have to relate a little story. I now know why guitarists should never go to the guitar store unless they intend to buy. spent the time since my last post ordering the “gripmaster” finger/hand strengtheners and reading up on guitars and looking for beginning guitar stuff, as well as reading about some of the newer guitarists (famous kind) that have been and are out there since about 20 years ago when i was last paying attention to such things.

So, i come across a hit on google that mentions this guy “Paul Reed Smith”. Who’s that, i sez to myself? google some more and see the amazing stuff this guy creates. woodworking being a hobby of mine before CIDP, i just can’t believe what i’m seeing on the prsguitars.com web site!

well, i’m finally getting to the point where i have an actual “music room” – not quite there yet but close – so i’m practicing on my Squire Tele and realize that i hate the way the cord plugs into the guitar with a straight cable. i decide i need to get a cable with a 90 degree elbow connector on at least one end. so, i set out to go pick one up at a local music store. i find a store online and head over to Guitar Center here in nashvegas. my son is with me and he was also ooh-ing and ah-ing over the PRS guitars when i was looking at them online. we turn to the right because that’s where allot of guitars are hanging on walls, displays, … everywhere and i catch this blue flash out of the corner of my right eye. i turn to look and there is an entire wall of PRS guitars hanging behind the counter. i tap ethan on the shoulder and we’re both just jaw-dropping-staring at these guitars. dude behind the counter sez, they’re having a PRS give away and do i want to demo one and fill out the entry form to win the drawing? ok, sez i but i’m really tentative about it since i have forgotten everything and am just now getting back into playing. he grabs the exact guitar i was drooling over while online and set’s it up with a fender amp and explains a few things about the guitar’s functioning then i sit down and he hands me the guitar.
      as soon as my left hand grabs the neck and i strum the good ol’ basic C chord a sensation i have never felt hits me like an electric shock. it’s as if this guitar is part of my hands. like it’s custom made and designed just for me. the action is so incredible that i feel like i’m not even trying to fret the strings, and the sound … i can’t even describe how it all feels. i have to have this guitar! then i look at the price tag … $2000 on sale!!!!!
      oh man, don’t ever do that to yourself unless you have the money to buy the instrament! the past 2 nights all i dream about is playing that guitar! *sighs long and deep* i gotta have that guitar …

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2006 at 8:17 am

Eric,
      I’m no doctor but it looks like you have G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome). This can only be relieved by a F.A.R.T. (finally achieving real tone). I hope you get help soon. Good Luck.

[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/189/rockmanua5.gif[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2006 at 1:19 am

got another axe