So…..who is thinking of coming to the Chicago Symposium?

• June 13, 2008 at 6:31 pm

sorry no info

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2008 at 7:13 pm

I hope to be able to attend the Chicago meeting. I also think it will be really nice to meet all of you. We may need to have names tags with “real names” and with “on line” names. There has to be a name for those–?e-names??
      WithHope for cure of these diseases
      GBS 3/07

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2008 at 8:25 pm

I am for sure coming. I can’t wait to meet all of you guys too:D!!!

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2008 at 4:38 am

I am planning on coming. I’ve never been to Chicago before. I will need to start feeding the piggy bank! Been off work for over 4 monthes now with cardiac stuff but will start back on the 30th. I would love to meet you Dawn and the rest of the group. We should have a get together.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2008 at 9:23 am

Would be nice to come and meet everyone but financially it just can’t happen. If you all get together, raise a glass for those of us who can’t be there.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2008 at 10:39 am

Hi family,
      I am hoping that I will be able to go, it will have to depend on how much I’ve gotten done with my move. I am moving in July and I may still be up to my ears with packed boxes waiting to be unpacked.

I remember from the last symposium that the foundation gives us a name tag, but it is a good idea to make a big tag with your forum name on it. And we’ll have to get everybody from the forum together on a free night and go out for supper.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2008 at 12:00 pm

I’m planning on it right now. I’ve just checked the airline fairs and them seem to be manageable. Now as long as they don’t start charing for oxygen, cushions on the seats, fuel to run the engines and an extra charge for a pilot, I think we can make.
      I agree it would be a good idea to have a name tag with you screen name and picture of your avatar. There may be more than one 5′ 18″ bald male there
      Come to think of it, I do have a pilot’s license, but for some reason my medical certificate is not current and I have 0 time in multi jet engine transports. However it is still push to go down and pull to go up…

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2008 at 3:20 pm

You Can Make Plane Reservations Now, But Remember To Wait Until You Receive The Information For The Symposium In August, Before You Make Your Hotel Reservation. If You Reserve A Room Now, You Won’t Get The Discount Room Rate.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Hey Jim,
      What airport will you be flying out of? If you can go to Orlando, we can hook up and go together ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Dana and I will be there for the whole Symposium. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Make sure your fridge is stocked with beer Dawn ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2008 at 9:38 am

I really want to go, too! So, if we all end up attending, are we going to have a big get-together/party so that we can be sure to meet one another? I’d love it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2008 at 6:49 am

does anyone know if this will be a kid friendly event ?
      I’d rather not bring kids but my step daughter and hubby’s bday in on the
      11th and not sure I can get him away without her…and finding a sitter for Connor isnt as easy these days.
      but, I DO want to come…

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2008 at 11:32 am

Hi Stacey,
      The best thing to do is to call the foundation. I don’t see why children wouldn’t be welcome, but you’d have to bring things to help with the boredom.

• June 16, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Stacey,
      It is a resort, so there is a pool. We have seen it twice now. If you wanted to, you could stay for the lectures while hubby goes downtown to museums. The area itself is like a suburban town. A neighborhood if you will. downtown Chicago is about 45 minutes away. Since it will be November, ther are also orchards about an hour away, maybe you could have hubby get some apple picking in. They showed us the sheet at the last litle meeting we went to so that we could figure out what lectures we would like to attend and what times we would be available to volunteer. There are times in between the lectures for me personally, when I am going to volunteer, so maybe once you get the sheet mailed to you you can figure out what times will work for you and when you will be free to be with the family.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      June 28, 2008 at 9:40 am

Hi Dawn, I am sure hoping to come-heck it is just down around the lake from me. Now if my cidp will cooperate. Can a caregiver/ best friend come with me? And hey Jerimy, you guys gotta share the beer. Heck, I’ll bring wine to share. Emma

• Anonymous
      June 28, 2008 at 11:01 am

Hi All,

That would be so cool to come to this. I’ll do some checking on flights, etc. Where do I find more info. on it? I’ll also have to bring more beer ๐Ÿ˜€

Okay, I just found the basics… does anyone know if Chicago Midway is okay to fly into? I’m checking into SW Airlines and they have $152 each way?!?!

• June 29, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Midway is fine, actually a smaller airport than Ohare, so there is less walking from flight to baggage. Logistically, probably both around the same distance, just different ways. Southwest is a bit of a challenge, as the seating is not assigned, so if you are bringing a friend or want to board first, you have to get there early and 24 hours prior you go online to pre ticket. (not sure of the airport lingo) They also OVERBOOK!!!!! So don’t wait till the last minute. If you ask for a wheel chair at the gate, or have your own, you will get priority check in and they usually sit you by the first seat (extra room) If you have a wheel chair, I would bring it, as there is some walking at the resort.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2008 at 7:39 am

Good morning everyone,

My wife and I are thinking of making the trip from Missouri…

Where is the symposium at? I haven’t heard as of yet…any information would be great (general location to Chi-town).

I’ve only been posting messages for a while now, but I would like to meet the people that I’ve gleaned information from.

I read there are 20 workshops????? WOW. And a walk-a-thon???? Even a state night dinner, whatever that is. Sounds like a good reason to put a shirt and tie on and turn the charm factor up a bit……my wife is in trouble. GRRRRRRRR.

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Dawn-what does ” some walking ” mean, so maybe I start to train myself now and condition my legs a little better? Thanks, Emma

• June 30, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Hi Brett/Emma,
      The symposium is at Indian Lakes Resort in Bloomingdale Illinois, a suburb about 45 minutes or so from Midway or Ohare airport (non rush hour traffic) About an hour from downtown Chicago.
      The foundation will be sending info soon with a code to book the hotel at a discount. It is a Hilton Hotel. I think there is also a $150 charge for the lunches and State Dinner. A formal dinner one of the nights. It also is for attending the symposium events as well. Don’t quote me, but I think that is the price, they will be sending info soon.

Regarding the walking, The hotel is in a building seperate from the convention area. There is a shuttle between the two, it is a large van and may pose some difficulty when getting in the back seat. I tried it out when we were there a couple of weeks ago for a volunteer meeting. I would say the distance between the two is about 11/2 parking lots of a Walmart from the front of the Walmart door to the last parkingspot plus a half, give or take depending on your local Walmart. If you guys have any other ques. about location or distance, just ask.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Dawn-do you know if there might be a DVD of the symposium to buy in lieu of attending ? That walking distance is pretty far for me but I got time to start training, but I wondered about the DVD. Thanks Emma

• June 30, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Emma,
      The walk would only be once a day. They will have lunch in the center and there are restrooms, you would only have to walk twice.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      July 1, 2008 at 2:07 am

Dawn-that sounds pretty good. Thanks. Emma