so many with absent reflexes

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2008 at 7:34 am

I was at my GP yesterday and she tested the reflexes in my arm and wrist. She said, “your poor reflexes”…meaning, nothing there.
      Both arms. I also dont have them in my knees or ankles. Havent had for since before diagnosis. My left side seems to be the worst…foot went first and then issues with the hand. My right foot now is affected quite a bit. I know that my strength is poor in my arms and wrists…sometimes I try to convince myself it’s b/c I am a girl..easy way out.
      I just wonder if there are many of others that dont have reflexes in the arms and legs both ?
      I need to start strengthening and exercising big time.

best wishes,
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2008 at 9:36 am

Hi, I don’t have reflexes either since right before dx 6/07. When doc first hit my knee with the hammer I couldn’t belive my leg didn’t jump. I said do it again, nothing. Both legs and arms are still that way. Scary huh, when you know what it’s supposed to do. I am exercising at the yMCA. Swim classes (arthritic swim) and Silver Sneakers range of motion and yoga. I enjoy it and it gets me moving. I usually must rest for awhile afterward, but it feels like a good tired. (I ran out of ins. covered PT so I’m trying the YMCA as a substitute) Good luck to you!

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2008 at 12:09 pm

My reflexes come and go. I can have really good, strong reflex and then a week later there is nothing. What is that about?

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2008 at 1:42 pm

HI All
      I am the same has you to i lost my reflexes back in 11/07 not to been since
      doesnt seem to bother me though 😀

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Hi Stacey,
      I haven’t had reflexes in either arms/wrist or legs/ankle since I was diagnosed with CIDP in 1998. I never worried about it, why do I need my leg to jerk when Dr. uses little hammer. I can live without reflexes.

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Emily lost hers too. They came back after 3 IVIG treatments.

I met a mom who had a daughter that had MFS when she was 6. The girl was 15 then & still never recovered her reflexes. That’s the only thing that didn’t come back.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2008 at 12:49 am

I don’t think it really matters all that much if one has reflexes or not. When I was first dx with GBS (later changed to CIDP), one of the first things the ER doctor noticed was my total lack of reflexes. I still had all of my strength, except for slightly diminished knee strength.
      Six years later I still have very little feeling or strength below the knee & overall weakness & yet have reflexes back in my elbows, wrists, knees, etc… Nothing below the knee, of course. I would rather be the way I was physically when I was first dx & had no reflexes at all?

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2008 at 11:39 pm

No reflexes here either. I use to have them up to the start of all my auto immune issues came to be. I like to watch the faces of the student drs after they pound the heck out of my knee and don’t get anything for their effort-the look of puzzlement.:D its amazing how many times they hit you before finally asking if I have had no reflexes before. I stop them when they pull out the sledge hammer!:eek: