Smoking may link with GBS

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Dear Friends,

I think the question “Can Smoking Cause GBS” has been brought up before.

The article below suggest tobacco contains many types bacteria and smoking may cause these different bacteria to be in the lungs…bacteria such as campylobacter jejuni, a bacteria that causes Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/55678/title/Cigarettes_might_be_infectious

Regards to all.

Jethro

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Hi Jethro – long time…

I am wondering if smokers that quit after GBS felt better? I know it is a rather stupid question, but really – what gets better??? I have a quit date for spring and need reinforcement that I will feel better!

• January 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I had to giggle at this one…one more thing smoking is linked to. I want a big billboard that says Surgeon Generals Warning: Smoking Causes Problems. Or a cigarette pack campaign that has every possible smoking related problem on the packs. Collect them all! Win a t shirt! Sorry poor attempt at trying to be funny.

Interesting info about another hazard of the habit…thanks!

BTW I will be celebrating my 1 year quit anniversary March 16th!! Honestly I thought I would feel so much better, less residuals, more energy, etc and so on. Personally residual wise I felt better when I was smoking. Nicotine or tobacco is/has been used to treat ulcerative colitis, so I assume what ever is in it acts as an anti inflammatory? My ex hubby has UC and was better while smoking than when he quit. I dunno. Anyhow, not sure what feels better since I quit. BUt I am glad I did. Not exactly the reinforcement you were asking or looking for, Sorry CHrissy. Your breathing will be better and that alone is huge! I meditated about it, woke up the next morning and had no desire for a smoke. My hubby still smokes in his office…it is way gross to walk in there…and yet I still have no craving or desire. The smell or idea actually repulses me.

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 6:54 pm

fairly_odd_mother,
      [QUOTE]I want a big billboard that says Surgeon Generals Warning: Smoking Causes Problems. Or a cigarette pack campaign that has every possible smoking related problem on the packs. Collect them all! Win a t shirt![/QUOTE] I suppose you would like Surgeons General Joycelyn Elders on the billboard too. As Surgeons General, she wore a Navy Officer’s uniform of Vice Admiral (equal to a 3 star General), but at times displayed the mentality or intelligence of an AWOL drunken seaman recruit.

I smoked for more than 20 years but quit 28 years ago, and I’m glad I did quit. I know I would have been dead now if I continued smoking, and I did feel better; everything smelled better; tasted better; and if there is one thing I can not stand today, it is to walk into a smoke filled room.

FOM, don’t kill the messanger. I just thought people may like to know what the article said. It’s sorta like global warming and green energy…I don’t believe in all that s**t the bureaucrats are shoving down our throats, especially with disputing and opposing scientific data.

Regards to all.:)

Jethro

• January 31, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Jethro

it wasnt meant as a criticism to you. Not one bit and I apologize if it came across that way. I simply thought it was slightly amusing to have one more problem linked to smoking…as if people didn’t have enough reasons to stop yet keep on going thinking ‘it won’t happen to them’. The Powers that Be do cram a lot into our craws so it is difficult to know what is true and what isn’t. We do know that there are hazards to smoking, eating, drinking, heck living. But I believe more in Big Foot and Aliens than I do Global Warming (as I watch it snow outside). How much of the things we are told is actually true? I dunno, I am right there with ya on that one.

I appreciate the info and found it quite interesting. Never would have thought it possible…I’m the one who uses those sanitizing wipes at the store before, during, and after shopping. I freak out over chicken “juice”, and have just started being able to even eat chicken again. Kids get sick, they are old enough to take care of themselves for the most part. You get the idea. So if I had read this while still smoking it definitely would have been an instant quit for me! I still live in fear of getting GBS again although the fear is a lot less than it was a couple of years ago. Will it ever go away? Hopefully, I am still holding onto hope that I will wake up one morning and have no signs or residuals that I was ever hit with this. *sigh*

*hugs* sorry again.

Oooo just ordered my 1 year quit anniversary gift! cant wait to get them! Custom converse hightops. Can you tell I am very easy to please?

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2010 at 7:31 pm

[U]fairly odd mother[/U]
      [QUOTE]I am still holding onto hope that I will wake up one morning and have no signs or residuals that I was ever hit with this.[/QUOTE] As I pray, the last thing I ask our Father God, is to reach out with His healing hand and touch all of us with GBS and CIDP. FOM, I share your hope for all of us.

Please don’t be sorry. In fact, your post brought a little humor with it because they have dumped about everything on smoking, and the billboard made the statement.:) I just had an instant thought on global warming and let my thoughts get a little carried away. I do that at times..sorry.

And chicken…I will eat it but I look at every bite, my favorite is KFC. But I will never go to a chicken barbecue in fear of the chicken being undercooked.

With warmest regards,

Jethro

• February 4, 2010 at 2:58 am

wow how I understand about the dammm chicken, I only eat it when I make it my self and it is so well cook that the bones fall out when I take it from the oven :))))) that is my biggest fear of all that is geting this damm bacteria again.
      But Im struggling with the smoking, I love to quit but that couse me to use other meds to help me breath, I know now you put upp bigg ? mark.
      I stoped smoking many years ago, ended in hospital for 3 months using only 25% of my lungs. I have alergy for all kinds of dust, so when I stop smoking I need to cover my lungs with meds that keep my lungs dust free :)))) this is so stupied when I see this on paper but my doc say he cant aske me to stop for he know that I enjoy my meds now but the other one is just horrible to put into my lungs.
      xoxooxoxoxxo
      Helga

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 8:10 am

Okay, I’m not a smoker but I had to chime in on the “well done chicken comment”. I literally kill the chicken twice before I put it on my plate and still look while I’m eating. I am brave enough to order it from a restaurant, but you’d better believe every morsel is scrutinized under my harsh glare (which is probably strong enough to cook it for the third time).

I’ve cut down on meat consumption as sometimes I cook it so long, it’s hardly edible; especially the rare (no pun intended) occasion I eat steak. :rolleyes:

Jethro, I didn’t mean to go all off topic, but I wanted to bring a little levity to the site. It’s been a bit, um, tense in the forums lately. Nope, ain’t going there a ‘tall. Just gonna sit here and mind my manners. 😮

Hope everyone is having a terrific day!!!

Take care,

Tina

• February 8, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I am laughing about how many people do the chicken check! I don’t even like eating it if I cook it…and my family complains I overcook it. I loved the Kill It Twice comment!!

Ummm..what is going on in the forums? Did I miss something?

Anyhow, Jethro always has good links to interesting info. And it is true, you learn something new everyday.