Slow Progress

• August 5, 2006 at 2:55 pm

Since I last posted my progress has been slow. I can walk a little better but not yet normal. I can stay on my feet longer without having to sit down. I still have a lot of numbness and burning sensations in my feet and ankles. My fingers are numb with a strong “pins and needles” feeling especially in my finger tips. I am able to drive and do shopping. It is a bit depressing to go from being very healthy to having quite a bit of disablity. The lucky thing for this 65 year old man with GBS is that I have a cute little one year baby girl and her beautiful 25 year old Panamanian mother who has stood by me during this illness. She is full of life and enthusiasm. Also we have 18 parrots including Tita my scarlet macaw who always wants attention. I think pets are very good for people with GBS. I remain concerned about my recovery because I want to be able to walk normal out-of-doors and enjoy a large property I bought which has a lot of tropical rain forest. I am a nature enthusiast and want to be able to walk over rough terrain like I use to be able to do before I got GBS. It has been a little over 7 months since I first got the disease. I enjoy the different posts on this forum as it is very helpful to read about the experiences of others.

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2006 at 11:18 pm

Hi Robert,
      Congratulations on the little progresses that we make. Every little step is a step towards recovery. I’m impressed if you can keep up with a one year old baby and a very young wife 😀 She must love you very much. And I agree with you about the pets. I think i would have went crazy on some days if it weren’t for my pets. I love animals but try to limit myself. Speaking of birds, I just went to the pet store and looked at a beautiful sun conure (sp). He was a young male but was absolutely beautiful. I would love to have one but he cost $549.00. So, i envy you in having them right in your back yard. The macaw’s are beautiful and there are so many different types. Try to get out and enjoy as much of nature as you can and remember tomorrow will bring a little more improvement. Post us some pictures of your lovely land, I would enjoy seeing it.

Take care

Sherry

• August 6, 2006 at 9:17 pm

I paid $650 for the scarlet macaw but my other parrots were inexpensive. They all are native to this area. Seed is imported from the US and is more expensive. I can feed and water my birds but because of GBS I can’t clean their cages too well. However my wife cleans the cages. I’ve been taking Neurontin 400 mg once a day but it doesn’t seem to help. The burning sensations in my feet are annoying but not really painful so I think I will discontinue the neurontin. My left foot is worst and hurts when I put weight on it after a day of walking on it. In the morning it is better. Last night I went out and had me about 10 beers. I suppose that is not so good for someone with GBS but it helps me feel more like I am normal. I am wondering how long it will take me to get rid of the pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet. Does anyone know?

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2006 at 11:43 pm

robert,

no one knows, but odds are in your favor that they will diminish & maybe even eventually leave. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2006 at 6:54 am

Robert,

After almost 20 years I am still dealing with the pins and needles feeling in my feet. I have gotten use to it and only notice it when I have been on my feet for a long time. Then they get numb clear up to my knees, but still tolerable. As Gene says, the odds are in your favor that you will loose the feeling altogether or at least it will hopefully get to a point where you can tolerate it without much discomfort.

Jim

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2006 at 9:00 am

Robert-

Recovery is slow, but be happy about any little improvement, because it is the beginning of getting better. I take nortriptyline for the tingling/numbness bit in my hands/feet. I am lucky, as I am returning to work, taking care of my 2 kids and living my life. I had GBS in February, and have had steady improvement since coming home. Dont give up hope. I too was very active before this happened, working, being a mom, and a nursing student. I wont be able to return to nursing school, GBS took that from me. But I have learned to accept it, I need to save my energy for my 2 wonderful boys. God bless.

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2006 at 10:21 am

Hi Robert,

There’s a bit of a stigma connected to GBS recovery, and it’s slow pace. At least that’s what I discovered. When in a hospital, or in a flat on your back position no matter where you end up, or close to it, your full attention is on the disease. Recovery comes quickly in areas, and are noticed as soon as one can achieve them. When getting back into life, your attention is divided now, and even though you are recovering in areas just as quickly, it’s precieved that recovery has slowed down. Not so many eyes, including your own conciously, are watching anymore. Subconciously though, improvements, or recovery, is occuring at pretty much the pace it always has. Eyes and minds are on the driving and shopping, bird care and big tickit items, when the small stuff needs just as much attention to heal too. Which, over time, it will. Healing will come in 2 ways only. Heal phisically into full function, or adapt to near full function. Either way, you will heal. Look at your oldest bird you’ve had since it was a baby. Seems like yesterday, doesn’t it? Time can be, and most often is, the hardest for people to come to grips with. Just as you invested time in your birds and loved ones, you need to invest the time in yourself, and like you recieve from them, the payoff is great.

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2006 at 2:43 am

I’ve been taking Neurontin 400 mg once a day but it doesn’t seem to help. The burning sensations in my feet are annoying but not really painful so I think I will discontinue the neurontin.

Hi Robert,
      400 mg of Neurontin isn’t very much, I take 800 mg 4 times a day. I understand that some people take up to 5600mg per day. I still have problems with my hands and feet, but I really know that it is helping when I forget to take one, be well.

John

Live for today, look foward for tomorrow

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2006 at 6:32 am

ditto john. up to 5600 mg per say. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength