Sleep (or lack of!)

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2010 at 2:55 am

Hi there, having read a few threads, compared to most of you guys I’m a lucky guy and only developed a mild case of GBS. I had difficulty walking but it never spread past the lower legs. I was hospitilised for 6 days and 5 days of IVIG. My Dr is amazing and I’m under a neuro rehab team (physio/occupational therapy/technician who desensitises my feet). I’m now 5 weeks post diagnosis at home, tottering about and trying to take it easy but desperate to get the legs working proper so I can get back to work!
      Anyways, I’m on top whack Gapabentin for the pain in my feet (my god the pain is evil! It’s good to among people who understand it!) and I’ve just been started on temazepam as I am consistently waking up between 2-5am. Well the temazepam didn’t work last night, (I’m from the UK we seem to have different drug names to you guys in the States..it’s a sleeping tablet) and still woke with the pain. Do you guys have pearls of wisdom that might help, or am I doomed to never get a good nights sleep again?!

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2010 at 10:41 am

Dan,

Sleep is a big issue for a lot of us. I know that in the beginning, I would wake up every 2 hours like clockwork with pain, numbnes, etc. and then would have trouble falling back asleep again. You might want to do a search on the Forum to see other responses. I know some people took Xanax and I am sure others have some good advice. I tried Xanax, high doses of ibuprofen, benadryl and I found that eventually, it got better over a few months. My current rheumatologist recommended melatonin (can get this over the counter). I have not tried it yet, but that is a suggestion. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry that you have to join us! 😉 Be thankful that you have a great team of docs and treatment. I did not have any of that and am still plagued with issues 6 months later. Hopefully, your recovery will be much more speedy!

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Thanks Jessica..I’ll look into the melatonin thanks. And I guess I’ll learn to be patient. Yeah it’s good knowing you’re not the only one going through what we do.:)