Skin Discoloration

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 12:08 am

Just wondering if any of you have any skin conditions with CIDP? I get IVIG monthly, but don’t take any other meds. The skin on the back of my left arm looks like I have a bunch of little purple bruises. It looks like some kind of break out, but I’ve had it for years. I’ve asked my neuro who says it’s nothing. I’m wondering if it’s related to CIDP. It doesn’t hurt or itch, it just looks funny. It runs from midway between my shoulder and elbow, down the back of my arm, to midway between my elbow and wrist. Any one else have this?
      Thanks!
      Kristen
      cidpandme.blogspot.com

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 2:49 am

I get a rash every now and then when I get IVIg, but it’s a rash, itchy and red. I am curious of your left arm is the one you get your infusions in though. When I was in the hospital getting 10 days of huge amounts of IVIg the load on my veins was pretty high and some of the small vessels on my arms dilated looking like little bruises. Also, have you been tested for vasculitis? there are some versions that can look like skin discoloration or bruising. Good luck, Julie

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 6:52 am

I haven’t gotten any rashes or anything, but the skin on my entire body looks mottled and discolored and thinner (older looking). I have been blaming it on the prednisone, which I have read can cause your skin to change. I don’t think it is related to the CIDP, but maybe when you have an auto-immune condition it just takes its toll on your body making it age faster. I don’t know.

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 6:52 am

I haven’t gotten any rashes or anything, but the skin on my entire body looks mottled and discolored and thinner (older looking). I have been blaming it on the prednisone, which I have read can cause your skin to change. I don’t think it is related to the CIDP, but maybe when you have an auto-immune condition it just takes its toll on your body making it age faster. I don’t know.

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 6:17 pm

No, I get the infusions in a different arm each time,depending on what vein looks better. It’s on the back of my arm, which is really strange. I’m going to ask my neuro about vasculitis and I’m off to do a google search on that right now. I don’t have a clue what that is. Thanks for your reply! I appreciate your help.
      Kristen
      cidpandme.blogspot.com

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 6:20 pm

My skin definitely changed after taking the steroids and I think it’s changed from the IVIG too. It seems more “leather-y” and thicker when they start the IVIG. Thanks for your quick response! Take care.
      Kristen
      cidpandme.blogspot.com