Sister’s boyfriend

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2006 at 2:25 pm

My sister’s boyfriend (age 60) has been diagnosed with GBS and is in the hospital in ICU. She says he can only move one hand, just lifting it from the wrist. – has feeling everywhere else but can’t move at all. He’s intubated and on a vent at night and now a CPAP machine during the day. He’s been on a vent since after Thanksgiving. She says he’s totally aware of everything that’s going on. He’s having the plasma treatments and they’re trying to wean him off the vent. I’ve been trying to give her moral support. This is a new relationship for her (since July) and his children have not accepted her 100% in their father’s life. They really care a lot for each other, they were like teenagers before this happened. Sounds like every case is different. I’m trying to get her to reach out to this forum for support. Any input you can give me would be helpful.

Thanks. 🙂

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2006 at 3:20 pm

Venus, Welcome on board.
      I think its a great idea for her to get involved with the forum. There are so many questions I’m sure the both of them have, and forum members are so supportive. Also, if you let us know what area they are from, maybe there is a liaison in that area who can be of support as well.

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2006 at 5:35 pm

hi venus & welcome,

he seems to be within the normal range of what happens which is good. the plasmapheresis [pp] should stop his decline. if it doesn’t, then ivig should be tried. keep us posted on this thread. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2006 at 6:25 pm

They live in the South Florida area – near Fort Lauderdale.
      Thank you again.