Short Term Disability

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2006 at 6:19 pm

I am going out on short term disability for the full 6 months (I will only get $500) a month so the SSA can’t say I am earng SGI. I am planning on not retturnin to work because I will be doing the SSA disability while I am out on STD. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to work the letter to my employer? I cant tell them I am not coming back or I wont get my STD and I have to have it. even though it is unfair to them I have no choice but to do it this way

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2006 at 10:09 pm

I got a letter from my doctor each month stating that I was unable to return to work due to my current condition. The letter asked that I remain on leave without pay until my next evaluation a month or more later. I was able to get disability pretty quick so I was already receiving it while the doctor was writing these letters. The only difference we have is I wanted to go back to work as soon as I could. I ran out of leave and advanced leave in September 2004. My disability checks started in October 2004. I finally gave up and took an early retirement in February 2006, but my work carried me on the books until then.
      Good luck – John