Shingles after GBS?

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2007 at 9:49 am

I’ve read that shingles and/or the chicken pox vaccine is associated with GBS onset, but anybody experience it the other way around? My mom (GBS dx 10/2004) has shingles. Anybody else out there get shingles after GBS?

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2007 at 11:38 am

In 1991, when I had GBS the first time, I got the chicken pox again at the age of 22. It was about a year after I got out of the hospital. I was working in a hospital at the time and was exposed in the pediatric intensive care unit. The first time I had chicken pox I was 15. I never figured I would get it again!

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2007 at 12:38 pm

I had an outbreak of herpes after gbs, had no idea I even HAD it before then. Shingles can be brought out by many things. If your mom had plasmapheresis, it removes all the antibodies out of system, and you are temporarily immunosuppressed. But since your mom’s outbreak was a few years ago, the shingles is probably not related to it. Has she had a cold or a recent surgery, even if minor? HOpe she is feeling better soon.

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2007 at 5:31 pm

Thanks everyone. Pretty sure her case is a fluke – like she really needs something else to hurt! She’s a trooper.

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Katy,

I had GBS in 85/86 and got shingles/herpes sometimes in the early 90’s for the first time. Unfortunately I do get it relatively often now, some years about 3 to 4 times a year, really depending on when I’m run down.

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 2:47 am

Katy,

What a coincidence………….I have been waiting to hear if there was a thread on this!!!…………I have shingles, eczema, and all that other crap as we speak………..and I am convinced it is GBS related. I am seeing a dermatologist now, along with my neurologist, primary doctor, and I don’t know who else. And this skin disorder is getting worse…..I have an appt. with the dermatologist every 30 days. Yeah, thanks alot, again, GBS for all you have done. I am more depressed now (because of this skin situation), than I am about the residuals of GBS.

Sorry to come off negative, but I have to call it like I see it,

Per

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 8:52 am

Hi Perry. I know, me too. Mom has come so far and has had to work so hard. This reminds me of supporting her through some of those really dark painful early weeks of her GBS. UGHGHGHGHGHGHG!
      Katy

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 8:54 am

Anybody who has/had shingles got any hints to help Mom with her pain? She takes Neurontin anyway for the GBS and is taking Demerol at night for pain. Usual takes Darvocet at night when GBS pain is worse than usual.

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 9:04 am

Have you tried soaking in an Aveno bath? It might only be for the itching. There is also a cream/lotion called “Sarna” that helps alot with the itching. My daughter also liked “cool” compresses put on it.

Shingles are a painful thing. I hope she finds relief.

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 12:09 pm

Katy,
      I sent you a private message. Shingles is easy to get rid of. I got rid of it in a few days and several of my friends did also. Since you seem to be fairly new to this site, look in the upper right hand corner for your private messages.

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 12:38 pm

I had GBS in November of 2004. In May of 2005 I had rectal Herpes. It was awful. Of course you can’t get a doctor to say they are related, but the thread seems to be running this way. Thanks to all for sharing. Carolyn, of you would be so kind as to pass along how to get rid of them. I’m scared to death of a recurrance.

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2007 at 3:43 pm

My mom got shingles a few days after her diagnosis with GBS. The doctors said it’s common and that she might have a herpes flare up around her mouth as well. They said something about the weakened system bringing forth all kinds of stuff that normally gets suppressed by a healthy system. Sorry that’s vague- it’s been a while and I can’t remember everything they said. They’ve treated the shingles, so it’s gone now.

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2007 at 12:51 am

Neurontin is given for shingles also! It is painful and can last for months or years(as my f i l can atest to)! Shingles affects the nerve endings in the chest area, usually on one side. Take care.

Per, I’m sending you Big Hugs!!! Sorry to hear you’re dealing with yet more problems. I’m praying for ya my friend!!

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2007 at 3:08 am

Thanks Cher……..you are the best!!!!!;)

P

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2007 at 11:41 pm

Victoria,
      I sent you a private message. Many of these problems can be prevented. It is giving the body what it needs – you will be amazed at how simple it is.