school

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Hi, for everyone that wished me luck on starting to school after my husband passed. I received my 3 week grade today and it is a 98. I am studying about 3 hours every night because my mind is jello. I was worried about my age and the lady that sits next to me is older than me. She is doing very well also. Going to school keeps me busy and my mind occupied. My Dr. appointment is Monday afternoon I am going to see if we can try to wean me off anti depressants. I found out today that one of our papers we have to do is research some type of medical illness or disease. I decided I am going to do mine on CIDP because so many people in the medical field do not know what it is. Since I was the caretaker and not the person having it I may need some input from some of you if you do not mind. As a caretaker I think I know more about it than some doctors. Thanks for listening.

• February 4, 2009 at 6:39 pm

sorry no info

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2009 at 7:38 pm

cookiegirl,
      Nice update you have given us. Proud of you and your grade. Keep it up.
      Good luck to you.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2009 at 7:43 pm

I am 51. I am going to school for a certified medical assistant. We do the same as LVN’s. I looked at all the websites for job postings and most of them said a CMA or LVN. I go to school for 10 months a 2 months internship. From what I understand the instructor told us we will be doing plebobotmy next month. We can also give shots and administer medicine. We will take a national certification test at the school. With that certification we can go anywhere in the country to work. During the interview with counselor I told her I did not have nursing experience except for taking care of my husband and that I retired to take care of him. I told her I gave him his infusuion ant. his B12 shots insulin shots gave him all his meds and changed the dressing on his foot. My teacher and counselor both told me that is considered life experience which is more than someone just out of high school. They both told me to mention it on my resume. The difference between a CMA and a LVN is that they have prerequisites they take before going to nursing school and we go right into the program without any previous college. I believe that is what i was told. As far as your weight being an issue none of us is small as we were in high school. I have gained 8 pounds since my husband passed I believe it is stress, hopefully by the time I graduate I will be slimmer. Everyone told me including the people on this forum that you are never to late to go to school.

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2009 at 7:56 pm

I forgot to tell you the counselor told me with the economy being the way it is many people with degrees are pursuing the medical field. She said the day before she interviewed me she had a school principle apply. CMA in the next two years will be a very high demand jobs with all the baby boomers retiring and getting older. I feel like I have another good 15 or 20 years left in me before I retire. Sometimes I have moments of depression. In class we were discussing medical abbr. and they came across DNR. My husband had a DNR order at the hospital and I was thinking about that morning. I had a breakdown in class and lost it. The teacher knows it had only been 2 months since my husband had passed. She excused me to go to the bathroom. When I came back she told me every once in a while I will have moments like that thinking about little things. Mattaeray thank you so much for the encouraging words. As far as being strong I truly believe my husband is with me and helping me stay strong like he would want me to be.

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Sandy, Way To Go!!!!!!:) That is Wonderful!!! You will be Very Successful in your Career!!:cool: You know We will all help you anyway we can! How are your necklaces coming out? Keep us updated, Hun!!

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2009 at 6:31 pm

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]Sandy, Way To Go!!!!!!:) That is Wonderful!!! You will be Very Successful in your Career!!:cool: You know We will all help you anyway we can! How are your necklaces coming out? Keep us updated, Hun!![/QUOTE]
      Hi angel, i made everyone the peace sign necklaces and key rings for Christmas. Everyone loved them. Thanks for the encouraging words.

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Way to go, cookiegirl!! So proud of you — keep up the good work!

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2009 at 10:16 pm

I think that is great Cookiegirl. Us more mature types do well at school because we have a real sense of motivation. As for being too old at 42, Dawn, my wife is 62 and is a junior going for a degree in education. She absolutely loves it and is a deans list student. We know she may have trouble getting a job because of hidden but real age bias but whether or not she does she loves learning and teaching. I think one is never too old to learn. I have a PhD but love listening to the Teaching Co. recorded college classes in history which I always wanted to study.
      Cookiegirl-as a caregiver you have much to offer. Many recent studies show that doctors simply don’t know how to listen to patients. I know in my ordeal without the nurses I had it would have been much worse. I drove them crazy but I loved them too. By the way, my sister is 65 and she just got the CMA degree in Arizona. She got a job almost the minute she left school. Jeff

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2009 at 11:49 pm

It is good to know that other people do not think I am too old for school. I am also glad to hear your sister got a job right after graduating. Everyone in my class is very encouraging. They have a great deal of respect for me going to school so soon after my husband passed. I was going crazy at home. Until school I really did not have a drive or goal in life. Some people tell me I have a very high standard being married to my husband for 33 years. I married him right out of high school. He was just out of the marine corpse. Everyday when I come home from school I want to tell my husband about my exciting day and what I have learned today. I have a feeling he knows. Also my Doctor teaches med students and he said I could do my internship with him. If he does not have an opening I am sure that he will probably know a doctor that does need a medical assistant. He knows what I have been through as was my husbands internal medicine Dr. also. I think I will feel more relaxed learning from him.

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2009 at 10:48 am

cookiegirl-

good luck with your school, girlfriend and congrats on the A! I too am in school for nursing…….I am sorry I cannot give any input on CIDP, I had gbs. you are never too old to learn! I too thought i was old in my 30’s but there are women in their 50’s changing careers.

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I did my power point today on CIDP. We were graded by the students and the teacher. Everyone after class told me I did a very good job explaining. Some of the students stated they had heard of it but did not know much about it. I will let you know what my grade is . I thank everyone for their input.