Scared to death

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 5:00 pm

I am having a nerve conductivity test in 2 days and I was wondering if there are any side effects I might have and also if it hurts alot or a little if anyone can give advise or info that would be comforting to have the information for peace of mind. I have been crying for 2 days anything would help right now!

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 5:28 pm

My 5 year old has been through 2 of them. They are not pleasant but I’d say they are more irritating than painful.

Don’t worry about it. It will be ok. They take about 30 minutes & you should not have any side effects.

Good luck!

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 5:30 pm

hi eryn & welcome,

no side effects. they will give you a series of jolts. most you feel but are no big deal. the last 2 or 3 can make you take notice. focus your mind of something pleasant & mentally place yourself in nice surroundings. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 5:34 pm

Eryn,

I havent had one myself, but I have heard others speak of it being a little uncomfortable more than anything else. All the best. 🙂

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 6:07 pm

Don’t worry, they are really not all that painful. It sounds much worse than it is. I’ve had six of them by various neurologists. I don’t have an especially high threshold for pain. Really, it’s not bad.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 6:23 pm

I think I am more scared of what will be said after then the test it self am xray exhauts me to a very low functioning level so will it be the same with this test

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 7:17 pm

Hello Eryn,
      I have had nerve conductive tests and it is something that can be tolerated. When you have the test done, ask them to do it as quickly as possible, ask them not to let a phone call or knock on the door delay it and ask them to let you know when it’s almost over. If you’re scared, it helps to know when it’s almost over.

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 11:23 am

Hi Erin,

You got it right. It’s how and what a doctor reads into this test that makes it somekind of experiance. It’s not a crystal ball. Just a measurement machine. If you can do things phisically that you couldn’t before, then that machine will tell you that. Haven’t had one yet, then it should just be a baseline set for future referancing. It will not record functioning levels, nor fatigue. Just nerve signals fireing muscles that you either have or not. This is where my beef with doctors and what they like to interput out of this test. Again, it doesn’t tell the future. Really, it’s more of a math problem, and should have more weight put there, then trying to diagnose from it. Everyone should have at least one though. Like a membership fee or something.:)

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 1:47 pm

hi erin,
      i have had several. i was more nervous about the results too. at the time of the test i did go in and tell her, don’t stop until your finished. and yes no interuptions. she would wait and ask if i was ok and i told her to stop doing that, just hurry up. i did put myself somewhere else, on a beach with wind blowing and nice calming music playing. you can sing or curse if you want they don’t care. we got through it, legs and arms in about 30 minutes. then i went for icecream!!!!!
      good luck and take care.