• Anonymous
      April 14, 2010 at 4:57 pm

      What does a rheumatologist do? Has anyone had any luck with one? Do they deal with allergies too? I am considering this route because I am fed up with the neuros.

    • Anonymous
      April 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm

      Hi Jessicah: I have what is called autoimmune recurrent pericarditis, an inflammation of sack that surrounds the heart. I have worked with my regular doc and a cardiologist on this, but finally they referred me to a rheumotologist who has helped me a lot. They work with inflammatory diseases like rheumotoid arthritis and lupus. My doctor has been very helpful in working with me with medication like prednisone and helping me control attacks of pericarditis which is also an inflammatory disease. To my knowledge they do not work with allergies. So it depends on what you want help with whether a rheumotologist will be useful to you. Jeff

    • April 14, 2010 at 11:53 pm

      An imunologist would be the one for allergies, not just an allergist that specializes in asthma allergies, but someone who understands the imune system. Some are just good antibiotic givers and allergy shot givers. Sorry, but they are. The rheumatolog deals with inflamatory processes, typically arthritis but other conditions as well. Many here see one and get the best treatment plan from them. You have to get that Elisa to figure out what you are really allergic toO!