results of facial numbness

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2010 at 12:45 am

Many of you were with me as I have battled my latest CIDP challenge. For those who missed it, briefly, I went back to work part-time. The first few weeks of work were a litle more than part time and were a bit stressful. A numb place developed on my lip and then spread to my face below the eye. I went to the neuro.

They drew lots of blood and did an MRI. The MRI was lookng for tumors and/or stroke and blockages. All of the tests came back clear. Blood sugar, sed rate, ANA, red and white counts, cholesterol, everything was fine. MRI was fine.

That leaves the CIDP.

I suppose it means that I am limited in the number of hours I can work. I have cut mu hours down to the upper 20’s, and my work is mostly clerical paperwork type of work. Physically not strenuous. Stressful, yes. I have communicated the results to my employer and am trying to work out a schedule where I can get the work done in a suitable time frame so I can get out of there, go home and rest.

Life goes on….

Dick S

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2010 at 2:38 am

Hi, Dick.

I can sympathise with the facial problems. I have all sorts of numb spots in my head (including, according to some members of my family, my brain!). With my lips fairly numb, it makes drinking a bit interesting sometimes.

I’ve been in discussion on FaceBook with others about the role of stress in the exacerbation of CIDP, and the American Autoimmune-Related Diseases Association ([url]www.aarda.org[/url]) have a couple of articles on stress and autoimmunity. One correspondent and I both have found that stress brings on more symptoms. My father died in September, and I found the fatigue and sensory problems in particular were worse for a couple of months following — and my next two IVIg infusions did nothing to help. It was late November before I started getting back to my normal.

Keep fighting,

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2010 at 8:54 am

Dick,

So glad you posted, have been wondering how you were doing.
      Less work, less stress, more rest, your headed in the right direction.

Thanks for the update.

Good luck to you.

Shirley

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2010 at 11:21 am

[QUOTE=Dick S]Many of you were with me as I have battled my latest CIDP challenge. For those who missed it, briefly, I went back to work part-time. The first few weeks of work were a litle more than part time and were a bit stressful. A numb place developed on my lip and then spread to my face below the eye. I went to the neuro.

They drew lots of blood and did an MRI. The MRI was lookng for tumors and/or stroke and blockages. All of the tests came back clear. Blood sugar, sed rate, ANA, red and white counts, cholesterol, everything was fine. MRI was fine.

That leaves the CIDP.

I suppose it means that I am limited in the number of hours I can work. I have cut mu hours down to the upper 20’s, and my work is mostly clerical paperwork type of work. Physically not strenuous. Stressful, yes. I have communicated the results to my employer and am trying to work out a schedule where I can get the work done in a suitable time frame so I can get out of there, go home and rest.

Life goes on….

Dick S[/QUOTE]

Interesting, i was in the ER two days ago for CIDP related issues- weakness, oain, breathing trouble and while there I felt as though a large area of my facial muscles were feeling numb and stiff. I thought oh God what now… ??!!!! Enough is enough. Today that sensation seems to have lessened. But I don’t think it is all that uncommon with CIDP. DOcs may say so, but I have gotten to the point where I know that they know very little about the symptoms of it and one really can only rely on what fellow sufferers experience. Hang in there, and keep me posted.

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2010 at 1:08 pm

[I]Hi, Dick. I think Shirley’s post holds the key. None of us can push ourselves even the slightest bit past a certain point else we have to deal with the consequences.

I haven’t noticed facial numbness … yet. Cross fingers!

Rocky
      P.S. I have an absolute to-die-for bread recipe if you’re interested. 😀 [/I]

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I don’t know what, or IF there is a normal progression of CIDP. I don’t know if facial involvement is “the” next step or just “another” step.

Philosophically, we just need to be tuned in to our bodies, and if something new happens along, we need to pay attention to it. In my case, I started back working, got a new numb spot, ruled out everything else.

The only real result is CIDP, overwork. The only solution is rest and moderation.

Take care everybody and have a great holiday season

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Hi Dick,
      So sorry to hear about the numbness.
      I have a rare syndrome due to my CIDP, called, “Horner’s Syndrome”, which affects my eyes, I only sweat on half of my face, and I have numb areas on half of my face.
      You can google “Horner’s Syndrome” to see what it’s about.
      Perhaps you might have this?
      If not, it’s our good ol’ nasty pal, CIDP.
      You never know where it’s gonna hit next, as you know my health with this damn disease.
      Hope you had a good holiday.
      Ken
      (KEDASO)

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I also had facial numbness that lasted about 5 months. I was still able to show expressions with my face, but it felt like it was asleep. I went to the neuro and mentioned this and he said there could be some nerve involvement right now due to CIDP. I will look at my medical records and let you know exactly what cranial nerves he mentioned.
      BTW: The numbness left about 2 months ago but it was so uncomfortable. It was half of my face and scalp>>>>>:mad: UUUGGHHH!!! The Sh*t we put up with!!!

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I’d guess that it’s ‘another step’. Why it makes diagnosing us already diagnosed and w/other issues at times so complicated.
      I bring I very ‘tight’ one page summary of my medical history to each new doc I see, and updates for any other doc visits. It’s all on one page and jam-packed! The first five lines are ‘medical history’ mostly for the last 10 years. I LOVE to watch a new doc’s eyebrows when scanning this page? I’ve not been turned down as a patient yet? But, [B]they[B][/B][/B] now know ahead of time that I’m NOT a ‘simple’ case from all quarters. [BTW? I had to ‘shrink the print’ to get it all to fit on ONE page – we all know how long attention spans are for some medicos? And the print isn’t soo small it can’t be read? But close enuf to get professional ‘attention’. Go figger?]
      Getting new neuropathy wrinkles is not unknown. Key here is a] catching possible problems in time and b] getting all the help and sorting out you need to deal with issues promptly! Far easier said than done however.
      Find your work/health balance. It’s sort of like learning or re-learning your balance all over again? You will need to fine tune it a bit, but you’ll find what you can do best! Hope and faith!

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Thanks guys. and gals,

The nerve that seems to be affected is the one that comes out from around the ear. It goes up to the bottom of the eye and then down to the lip. Part of the nerve branches up and around to the forehead. I am sure that part of it got demyelinated and is not transmitting sensation. That seems to be the modus operandi of the CIDP that I have.

I have always been affected sensory first, muscular second or not at all.

Hopefully I can rest to the point that the Schwann cells can repair it faster than the d*#n immune system tears it down.

It’s a race. Can we meditate?

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Dick is it on both sides of the face or just one side of the face?
      My friend had Bells Palsy last year that took a while to go away.

PS: Glad to see you working

Sue

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Sue,

It is only on the right hand side of my face. It is only maybe 15 to 20% of what it was when it was it’s worst. I am hopeful that it will go away completely over time. I hope I quit the stressing activities soon enough before any permanent damage occured. Time will tell.

When I went to the Neurologist, He did a number of diagnostic tests and ruled out many common disorders. He did not think that they would turn out to be the cause, he just wanted to cover the bases. I was glad he did.

He did change my neuropathic pain drug from neurontin to topomax. Several years ago, I used topomax and got better relief. It is generic now so it qualifies under my drug plan. I hope the change in meds will help as well.

Take care

Dick

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Bell Palsy only affects one side of the face. It affect the eye also where he had to put drops in it.

Sue

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2010 at 12:33 am

The neuro checked my eye with great interest. He had me look up down and all around. I am sure that was to rule out the Bell’s Palsy.

I am almost 100% sure it is the CIDP.