residual question

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 11:16 am

It has been 8 months (Nov. 07) since GBS entered my life and my recovery has been remarkable. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks, 10 days of that in ICU and 7 days on a ventilator with total paralysis, couldn’t even blink my eyes. I was back at work (part-time) by January 7th. My strength and energy level is really good, I’ve gotten back to bike riding (18 miles a few weeks ago). I haven’t had a lot of residual issues, just some tingling in my feet when they get hot but that has gotten better. The other day I had one spot in my left leg go numb and then one spot at my left ankle. The numbness would come and go in both places. Is that some sort of residual effect or just coincidence? I have to admit it really scared me at first. The numbness has gone away now, but is that something that I should expect occasionally? How do you know the difference in a residual and GBS coming back?

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Residuals usually show up if you are overdoing and then go away with rest, and from what you say you are definitely overdoing it. Some people have lots of residuals and some have almost zero. Each individual is different but like I said if the problem goes away with rest then you can pretty much decide that it is a residual, if it is something that continues after plenty of rest and hangs on for awhile then you need to let your doctor know. I know i have lots of areas that go numb if I over do or if I am under a lot of stress. The right side of my face is where I usually notice it first, which by the way is numb right now and I think it is because I just got a message that we still owe $600 for my sons college this quarter and we thought we had it all taken care of. Talk about stress because it is due all at once..hopefully the numbness will go away and take the problem with it..lol. Anyway, take care and don’t push yourself to much.

Sherry

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2008 at 8:55 am

Jan,

I agree with Sherry, don’t over do it. Get rest.

Your recovery does sound AWESOME!!!! 🙂

I notice my residuals in the evening after work, and I go home and begin to unwind. I get stiff legs and very tingley feet. Usually, after I relax and settle into the evening, I begin to feel better.

Keep up the great recovery and keep us posted. You’re doing great – just be safe.