Rely on safe food handling

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2006 at 9:13 am

Rely on safe food handling, not luck at holiday potlucks

“Illnesses due to unsafe food handling can mean more than just nausea and stomach ache,” Paul said. “People can die or they can develop chronic diseases such as reactive arthritis or Guillian Barré syndrome paralysis.”

See at http://www.montana.edu/cpa/news/nwview.php?article=4270

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2006 at 10:00 am

I have always been x-tra careful at potlucks after about 8 years ago, we had a potluck at work and no one was eating this one woman’s baked goods. A coworker told me no one would eat it b/c her kitchen was totally gross and she would let her cats all over the coutertops when she was baking,,,ewww!!! So now I avoid any “mystery loafs” and I must admit I avoid food that people I do not know brought. We have a potluck for cub scouts coming up that we have every december, and I pretty much stick to my foods and those of close friends. I also have to watch potlucks for my 4 year old, as he has a peanut allergy.

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2006 at 4:26 pm

Sorry for my ignorance but what is “Potluck”?

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2006 at 5:09 pm

Debbie ~ ignorance is only lack of information! A ‘potluck’ is where a group of people get together to share their food, cooked at home. In a small group, one person may bring the salad, another the entree’, another the dessert, etc. Sometimes in a very large gathering it may be divided up thus: going by the first initial of the last name ~ A thru G, salads; H thru M, vegetables; etc. And sometimes, individuals are asked to just bring their ‘favorite’ dish. Often the drink, bread, plates, untensils, are provided by the host, whether in the home or an organization (like a church) for a larger gathering. Even some weddings, with just family and close friends, are beginning to do this.

So, as you can see, if you have concerns about another’s cooking habits, you might just choose to eat only your own!! I, for one, cannot tolerate pets on the kitchen counters or table 😮 (I have a lovely calico cat, named Kali, so I’m not descriminating against pet owners :p)