Recovery question

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who has helped Bob (my father-in-law) and our family through the diagnosis phase and increasing our understanding of GBS. It has meant a great deal to us, and we have begun to rely on the forum for info and support. No matter how supportive others are, it’s nice to talk to people who have been through the same experience.

Well, Bob has had great news and progress over the last week and a half. First, the second opinion that he received said that they did not see any axonal damage, no muscle damage, etc. They second the diagnosis of atypical GBS.
      In the last 2 weeks his vision has returned to normal, his swallow reflex has greatly improved (was able to swallow pudding yesterday:), his neck and head movement have greatly increased, and the newest improvement, yesterday he gained trunk movement (he could lean forward and backward). All of this seems to have come very quickly and we are soooo thankful for these improvements. Just 2 and 1/2 weeks ago we were told by a dr that Bob had a 50/50 chance of never showing any improvement and only a 5% chance of walking. We were very excited to show Dr Downer (our nickname for him) Bob swallowing pudding yesterday.

So this brings me to my question, and I think I already know the answer but want to ask you guys anyway. Does this relatively fast recovery rate indicate that things will progress more quickly in Bob’s recovery? Are his chances of walking higher b/c of this? In other words, can we expect this rate of recovery to continue, or could we bursts of recovery then long periods of no recovery?

I know that recovery is different for everyone, but are there general trends that we can look to?

Thanks in advance,
      Christie

• September 29, 2007 at 1:52 pm

It is so awesome to hear of his improvement!! Another reason not to listen to the negativity of doctors and to teach them all we know from experience.

His recovery could reach a plateau and he could stay the same for a while, or he could recover everything just as fast and have only residual problems for awhile. I have read of people getting hit hard and being back on their feet and back to work within a couple of months. Others are still making progress years later. It sounds as if your FIL is very positive and determined which is a very good thing. We cant predict how soon he will “be back to normal” but we pray it continues the way it is. Make sure he gets plenty of rest and doesnt over due it or it could set him back.

Prayers and hugs!!

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2007 at 2:29 pm

Christie,

The [I]general [/I]rule is that if his recovery has been as “fast” (and I used that very lightly), it [I]should[/I] carry on quite well (will still have good and bady days tho) …… however, having said that, it does not mean he will not come away without any residuals that he will have to live with permenantly i.e. greater fatigue or less stamina than before, or pain in feet or tingling etc.

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2007 at 10:47 pm

Christie, That is Wonderful News about Bob. Please give him my best and a Big Hug also!:) Recovery is different for everyone. He still needs to take it slow and easy-even though he really wants to get up and Run around!;) In my opinion, Bob will be up and walking in no time, but it all starts with just small steps at first. Trunk control is important in the act of walking, so he is already going through the tough part. I can’t wait to hear from you when Bob goes strolling by Dr Downer!:D Remember to get plenty of rest in between playing with moving your arms and legs Bob! Rest is very important in healing the nerves and preventing any chances of relapsing.
      In my recovery(ies) I was up and taking steps after 1 week of paralysis, and with each of my relapses(5) I have recovered in about the same time frame. So chances are good that Bob’s recovery will continue at the same pace, if plenty of rest is gotten.
      Keep Up The Good Work Bob!!!