Recovering swiftly, i have a few questions

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Hello,

I am 17 years old you’ve probably heard my story from Wolfdolphin(my parents). It was a long road and i have some questions that are kind of thinking ahead but its a thought on my mind. While in the hospital all on my mind was my remembrance tattoo i wanted to get. Am i still able to get a tatto even though i have GBS? I wonder because my doctor said i wouldnt be able to get any vaccinations or anything. Does this include tattoos? and also, when and if i have children will i be ab le to have the shot during birth to ease some of the pain, has anyone had severe GBS and gotten a shot during birth or a tattoo? i realize they are odd questions but i tend to think ahead a little now…

thanks,

Survivor17;)

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2009 at 3:17 am

Hello Survivor17 and welcome to the forum!

It’s great to have you here, I’ve been following your story from your father’s posts. Congratulations for your fast recovery.
      I had GBS/Miller Fisher in May 08 and I’ve been thinking of having a tatoo done on the anniversary day, so I’m also interested to know if it’s ok. I live in England, I will ask this question on the British GBS site and get back to you if I get any info.

Keep fighting

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2009 at 4:34 am

Hi Survivor!!

Welcome to the family……….yes, we have all heard your story through your loving parents…..Congrats on your recovery!!!

I don’t have answers to your questions, but I am sure someone will come along with all the answers you need. And, NO, those are NOT odd questions. They are very legitimate ones 🙂 You should be thinking ahead 😉
      Hope to see more posts from you.

Per

• March 6, 2009 at 9:38 am

Hi,
      I guess a tatto could be a risk for anyone if it is not done at a reputable place regarding dirty needles and hepatitis or infection of another kind. I suppose if you are now extremeley sensitive to pain in certain areas, that might be a consideration as well. When people say you should not get shots, they mean live virus’s, such as menactra for spinal meinigitis when you go to college, or guardasil, for cervical cancer, or the flu shot, or pneumonia. There are some other immunizations you may be due for noticing your age. Those are what should be considered. About having children, I can only offer you aadvice from those who have shared their experiences on the site. My son is 12 with cidp, so I am not qualified to give a real life experience answer other than the basic medical issues. There is a liason on the site named Ali, check out her name on the members list. She had gbs around your age and has gone on to have two children. In closing, the thing to worry about shots is anything that is a live virus. In the end it is your personal choice, because at the symposium, there were doctors on the panel that suggested “shots” were ok unless that is how you got the gbs. Personally, I am not going to give my son or my healthy son any shots. Lucky them we will have to get them a condo for college as they cannot go in the dorm without the menactra shot for meningitis. See, there are some perks!!!! Good luck in your recovery and keep posting. I know at the symposium there were others your age that were going to start something on facebook for peers to communicate amongst themselves, check it out!
      Dawn Kevies mom
      PS there is a girl named Jessica Louise that is your age, try her on the members list too. Try her email, I have not seen her on the site lateley,

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome…

mdm thanks for helping out finding the information, 10 days after my 18th birthday is my anniversary of diagnosis so i want to get a memorial tattoo i have it all planned out in my head so im hoping i will be cleared to get one…

thanks to everyone for your posts

• Anonymous
      March 9, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Hi Survivor 17,

I’ve asked the people on the UK forum about tatoos, they just said to be careful and go to a shop that uses clean needles so that to avoid infection. Some of them said that maybe it’s better to wait a couple of years because in a few years time you may not want the tatoo anymore, I think they assume the design is about GBS…. I was thinking of getting something simple like a tiger’s head, what design are you gonna choose? In my case, my GBS experience was so major that I will never forget it and I like the idea of having a tatoo to commemorate it, maybe just to remind myself that I got through it, hence the tiger, a very powerful animal.

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2009 at 10:39 am

Hello survivor17,

I’ve been following this thread for a while and I’ve just got to put in my 2 cents worth with no ill intent.

With all the needles I had to deal with when I had my bout with GBS I’ve got to admit that the last thing I would want to do is have anymore needles stuck into my body. After over 20 years I am still reminded every day that I had GBS. Guess I should change my handle to “Chickenbear”! To each his own….:D

CB

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Mdm,

my intent with the tattoo is also to remember my journey, there is no doubt that i will remember this for the rest of my life but my GBS went so far that i had to wear AFO’s to walk and the design is butterflies my design in my head is an open book with tattered pages showing age, with the date i was diagnosed on one side and the date i was discharged and recovered on the other page. flying out from the book pages on the right will be a butterfly landing onto a fairies wings. it sounds really busy but in my head it seems to just fit me.. the boy that i got quite close to in the hospital called me his butterfly and it has stuck with me since then bc butterflies go thru such a long process to become what they are and it seems like so have i…

thanks for the info

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Hi Survivor17

I really like your idea for the tatoo, and I agree that the butterfly is a great symbol for the journey.

all the best

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I too am in England (Cambridgeshire). For the record, I’m 18 months into recovery of GBS and I just had a few small (self-made) tattoos removed using red-laser burning technique. I told them about my GBS and they said it was fine. This laser removal treatment breaks down the ink, which in turn enables the body’s system to break it down and absorb it.

mdm, what is the url for the UK forum?

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I don’t see why not! But make sure you go to a clean place that uses all new needles on their customers. Just make sure you always tell medical professionalls too what you want done so they can give you the best advice. They would be best to answer these questions since they know your case history and help you in the right path. Good luck and I think that tatoo is going to look nice! Hugs
      LindaH

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2009 at 11:23 pm

I had GBS in march 2008 when I was seventeen turning 18 and I think about the same questions. Here is my ideas, pay mind that I am no doctor, and you should ask them before you so anything. As for the tattoo, since it is only going into the first four layers of sking(if done properly) there shouldn’t be a problem. If it goes into your blood stream then problems could arise, but the likely hood of having a reoccurance is about 5 percent. The epideral i don’t really know. Here is a like to a website for doctors that talks all about that stuff.

[url]http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/792008-overview[/url]

BTW it says on that website there is a lower risk of getting GBS during pregnancy but a high the first few months after childbirth.