Recovering from severe GBS with ?’s

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Hi, I’m 38 yrs old & I ‘was’ in great health until a severe & sudden onset of GBS last July/Aug-within 48 hours I went from having some loss of feeling in my feet to complete paralysis of legs/arms, digestive system shut-down & lungs stopped working- they did a trache. I was in ICU for weeks & rehab for weeks learning how to eat, walk, etc. My recovery was relatively fast.

Here are my questions:

1. GBS struck me out of the blue– 3 days after doing IVF. Has anyone else noticed a correlation between infertility treatment & GBS?

2. I am now doing “fine”. But recently my lower lip started trembling & it didn’t stop for 18 hours. It coudl be stress I guess. Has anyone had strange side-effects during recovery?

Thanks!

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2007 at 7:30 pm

Hi Molly: Try to read through the forum entries for all the different comments on residuals. You will see that most of us have residual symptoms that crop up when stress or overdoing have their impact. When you get a residual symptom it might well be your body telling you to slow down and rest more. Recovery is a long slow process but you’ve come to the right place to answer all your questions and find a welcoming community. So welcome to our community. Jeff

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2007 at 1:00 am

Hi Molly just wanted to say welcome. I haven’t heard of any other people getting GBS for IVF treatments but that doesn’t mean much. Best of luck to you, hope to see you around here more.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2007 at 5:02 am

Hi Molly

I came down with GBS in July last year too and like you went downhill very quickly. Mine started with pins and needles in my hands and double vision and within 48 hours i was completely paralysed and on a vent in an induced coma. My recovery was also quick – 4 weeks in ICU and 7 weeks in hospital altogether.

My GBS came after a bout of the flu and / or gastro, take your pick, i had both. As for the IVF, i presume you were on some type of fertility drugs, could these have made you susceptible to other viruses etc? Had you actually had embryos implanted … it sounds weird but maybe your body treated them as foreign bodies, just an idea.

Anyway, glad you found us here and that you are doing well. Have you returned to IVF? If so, hoping that all goes well too.

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2007 at 7:59 am

Hi Molly

Thanks for sharing your story. I came down with GBS following a flu like montanasmum. Within 2 days I was in hospital and within a week completely paralysed in ICU and my hosp stay ended up being 5 months.

The ‘experts’ say that GBS normally follows some sort of health problem ie viral infections, food poisoning, surgery, vaccinations, flu but I haven’t heard of any cases following IVF treatment (not saying it can’t happen just haven’t heard of any).

Unfortunately for the majority of us residual damage occurs and it can be in many different ways. You may be experiencing some form of residual damage or your body is telling you to rest, you may be overdoing it or like you say stressing out. It is important when recovering from GBS that you pace yourself. Keep positive and you’ll get there 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2007 at 9:45 am

hi molly & welcome,

yes, your lip prob is due to stress. pls rest more. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2007 at 3:54 pm

Greetings and welome aboard!

I notice a similar sensation, but it is my upper lip and nose. Rest and not pushing as hard helps me out.

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2007 at 5:15 pm

[B][COLOR=”SeaGreen”]welcome Molly……..rest works wonders[/COLOR][/B]