Recommendation for Doctor?

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Hello, everyone. I haven’t been on the forum for a while. During my last visit with my neurologist in Houston, a couple of months ago, he told me that he felt it was time for me to acknowledge that this is as good as it’s going to get. Although I have a great deal of respect for him, both as a physician and as a person, I’m not ready to give up the fight.

I’m searching for a new neurologist who specializes in CIDP and who is an acknowledged expert in treating the disease. Because I’m still working full-time, I have an excellent medical plan and my job is flexible enough to allow me time off whenever I need it. Location isn’t a major consideration. I can travel anywhere to see the right person.

My research indicates that the Cleveland Clinic and the Mayo Clinic (Rochester) are leaders in neuromuscular diseases and each organization seems to have one or two physicians that stand out from the crowd. Another possibility is Dr. Richard Lewis, at Wayne State University.

I will consider and will appreciate any and all suggestions.

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Hi Rod,

Up my way, Near Phili, you have Dalakas at Thomas Jefferson, I use Mark Brown at Univ of Penn. he is old school and thorough. I like him.

Also at Hopkins There are alot of Good ones. Flick through the Symposioum
      Bookslets and forum threads and get more names. There was a guy from
      Dallas there i think. Otherwise up to Mayo. Good Luck–tim–

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2009 at 12:02 am

I was really very impressed with Dr Richard Lewis at the Symposium. He seemed on top of all that was happening and also thoughtful to think about how this affects a person in life. WithHope

• March 16, 2009 at 11:02 am

I second the opinion of the reccomendation of Dr. Lewis. He was very gracious and interested in listening to all that I asked at the symposium. His reaction as a human being and not just a doctor was amazing. He seemed to have the whole person as the patient, not just the cidp. He seemed to realize the whole picture that cidp presents to a person, both physically and emotionally. There was one person on the site that mentioned some difficulty with appointments and the receptionist, so make it clear your are an out of towner. I would consider taking Keevin there if he is still in practice when Kevin is and adult and out of the care of our peds neuro. good luck to you.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I have had very good success with Dr. Lopate at Barns Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. He has been my primary neuro. since this journey began and has done very well.