QuestionsThat Need Answers

• Anonymous
      December 20, 2006 at 5:28 pm

I was diagnosed with GBS October 17, 2006. Started with the tingling in the hands, then feet, numbness etc. Had the spinal tap which confirmed that I had GBS. I was hopsitalized for 10 days and underwent treatment for 5 days. I’m now at home and have recovered 85%. I use a cane to get around . I’m still experiencing discomfort on the ball of my foot when I walk especially without shoes. Walking with shoes is also uncomfortable especially if I’ve been walking/standing alot. Is this a common problem? Also, just in the past few days, I started to get tingling in my right hand usually first thing in the morning. It’s like I’ve slept on it. But when this has happens consistently over a period of 4 days I’m just wondering if it is GBS related?! I’m scheduled to return to work within the next 4 weeks. Mentally I’m ready but, I’m concerned physically if I will be able to put in a full days work. I find that being at home I feel great and ready roll but, a little concerned what will happen when I return to work full-time. Can anyone comment how they eased there way back to work. Is my understanding correct in that once you have GBS that you are more susptable to colds/flu, fatique etc!
      Thanks for your help! H.

• Anonymous
      December 20, 2006 at 9:01 pm

hi h & welcome,

your feet problems are common. your hand prob is most likely gbs related. most start work by working 4 hour days. if you can’t cut it, don’t push yourself, it will slo your recovery, at best . take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      December 21, 2006 at 12:40 am

Canada,

What you are feeling is not unusual. I take my hat off to you for starting work so soon, specially since having been diagnosed in October. I think our minds are always ‘more’ ready than our bodies. I had finished a year at college, and was going on to university to do further studies when I got GBS, needless to say, I didnt finish varsity, and thank goodness I was still living at home.
      There is one thing you have to understand, and that is that regardless how GBS effects you, totally paralyzed, or just weakness of muscles, it is a devastating disease and takes a long time to recover from. Please dont push yourself unnecessarily because this could possibly cause a setback. Would it be possible to go back to work half day for a month before returning full time?

Regarding the flu or fatigue ….. Once again I think this effects people differently. I have heard of people who say that they seem stronger than before and havent been effected much with the flu since GBS. Personally, in 20 years it hasnt effected me badly at all …… so far. Many people have symptoms return and take ages to recover. As for fatigue, many say that this is, possibly along with pain, the worst of the residuals. I have always needed PLENTY of sleep and rest, and it has been my worst residual. Sleep all weekend after work, and until 2 years ago, I never knew what the cause was until I did research. So my advice is ….. when you need rest, please rest and dont try and ‘outdo’ your body, IT seems to know best.

Please keep us updated.