Question about paralysis

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2007 at 8:38 pm

Nate has told me that his hands and legs are more numb than they were a month ago. He is almost 15 mos out.
      That really troubles me and I’m not sure what to make of it.
      Is it common for that to happen or are we looking at CIDP?

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2007 at 9:20 pm

NatesMom is he overdoing things? If he is not and he feels he is getting worse then he should be tested again with the Nerve test this way it would show if he is getting worse.

I know usually is you get worse and and it shows on the test then it would mean CIDP or maybe a variant of CIDP. Hopefully somebody who knows more then I do will answer your question better.

Wishing your son the best

Sue

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2007 at 5:40 am

Natesmum, numbness is a subjective feeling of interference with sensory perception. It is not paralysis, paralysis is due to the inability of muscles to work. Sensory loss is the perception of the physician following testing for light touch, pain, vibration and temperature.
      It is most unlikely that Nate has CIDP, numbness is a common residual following GBS. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2007 at 1:24 pm

I have always thought that if he was getting better, he would have less numbness. Does it come back sometimes?

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2007 at 1:51 pm

Trudy, numbness for me would calm down alittle and would increase with the more i did. i have the sensory problem, but i still can use my hands and feet-not always pretty looking though, i have found the tingles and numb feeling wasn’t as much if i took it slower and didn’t do as much as i wanted to do during the day. i have cut my activities back to about 1/2 of what i was doing before my last paralysis event last dec. my numbness in my hands and feet increased for a couple of days after i over did things, and decreased after i cut everything back. the last few days have been soo nice here that i did alot of outside stuff-too much-and the numbness/tingles and pain have increased to the point of making me take today to relax and rest.
      has nate been doing alot of hard things in pt or otherwise, that would contribute to the increase in numbness? his body could be telling him just take a day or so and rest and see what happens after that. the body knows what it needs and if he keeps ignoring that message then it will show him in other ways. the body always wins. if nate gets plenty of rest and the numbness continues to increase then it is more then likely cidp and he would probably need to see his dr. Give Nate a Big Hug for me. take care.

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Thanks for explaining that to me. It sounds about right.
      He is doing pt twice a week, going to the mall to see movies and shopping with me quite a bit now. He wheels himself thru Walmart, then around the whole mall sometimes when he goes, then goes outside over to Borders Book Store. That’s quite a bit IMO.
      It could be his body is just rebelling a bit.
      I will tell him that and we will probably both feel better.
      Thanks, Trudy, Natesmom

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Hey Trudy ~ Nate really is doing [I]alot[/I]! Goodness, I got tired reading about it:) I do know that he wants to be engaged in life again but sounds like his body is struggling. In reading other posts you know that each one of us has to find our own balance ~ and that can change from day to day 🙁 Gene would tell him “rest, rest, rest” until your body feels stronger again. GBS ~ getting better [I]slowly ![/I]