protiens that help regrow nerve

• Anonymous
      February 14, 2007 at 12:25 pm

This might sound a little crazy but we were watching HOUSE on fox and they were talking about a protein that helps regrow nerves. Did any one know anything or hear anything about this? My husband still has no feeling in his hands or feet. He was totally paralyzed. He was diagnosed ON 8/15/05. We keep watching and praying for some new miracle drug.

• Anonymous
      February 14, 2007 at 1:53 pm

i saw that too .. I am hoping for that special potion too but for now stick to what works and keep asking doc what she thinks of this and go from there. keep looking for the new things and keep asking questions..

• Anonymous
      February 14, 2007 at 11:51 pm

My ears picked up too when I heart that last night. Meant to do a little looking around on the web, just havent got round to it yet.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 12:25 am

[QUOTE=ali]My ears picked up too when I heart that last night. Meant to do a little looking around on the web, just havent got round to it yet.[/QUOTE]
      My husband and I were watching also and I remember telling him in the middle of the show. He sounds like he has what you have.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 4:52 am

Hmm! I missed that but would like to find out about it too! I would be interested in that myself! Wonder what it’s all about? I think I will too do some research! Ohh that would be great for many of us!

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Drat!:rolleyes: I usually watch House too and forgot it was on. There have been several episodes since I’ve gotten GBS where the symptoms on the show are similar to what I’ve been through. Once they even mention GBS and Miller Fisher, turned out not to be “it” but atleast it was mentioned and maybe got people thinking about our illness. I tried to do a Google search on protiens that help nerve regrowth and only found some old info, one by Johns Hopkins and a study with frog nerves and regrowth. Hopefully someone watched House and can give us the name of the protien to search or ask our docs about.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 5:46 pm

This post(thread) was from a year and a half ago so unless House comes on in reruns we may not get to see it again. It would be interesting to know though….I wonder who their medical advisers are. :confused: We could maybe google them and see what they do and what their backgrounds are.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 7:23 pm

[url]http://www.thisisms.com/article215.html[/url]

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 9:17 pm

i wonder if this is not referring to the set of proteins called nerve growth factors or neurotrophins? These got a lot of press a couple of years ago in association with Christopher Reeve and spinal cord injury regrowth. Nerve growth factors would be especially important for those of us that have axonal damage.

The link right above is to a 2005 article on re-myelination. This is a different protein, called LINGO-1. Remyelination is repair to existing nerves and in this article it talks about turning the switch to reform myelin around damaged nerves.

WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 10:23 pm

WithHope, I’ve got a disease I don’t know much about…:( I thought my body’s antibodies attacked the myelin sheath (sp?) around my nerves causing the nerves not to work properly or at all. Don’t I want a protien for re-myelination?

Aaaaah, Janet, I didn’t notice the date on the thread. It was before I was dx with GBS so I prob saw it and didn’t realize I should have been paying attention:D

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Smiley, yes, you want remyelination. I was trying to say that this might be a different protein than the one listed as being for nerve regrowth.
      I did some further investigating. LINGO-1 is expressed in the central nervous system–so could be potentially beneficial for multiple sclerosis and demyelination of the central nervous system. I saw two promising research topics about myelination in the peripheral nervous system that would be important for GBS and CIDP. One talked about EGR2 regulating the myelin genes PMP-22 and MPZ. A link to this is [url]http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/apr2007/nichd-16.htm[/url].
      The second is about neureglin I, type III which seems to be similar to LINGO-1 but for the peripheral nervous system. A link for information about it is [url]http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/09/050902073203.htm[/url]
      I hope I got those right.
      WithHope

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 11:03 pm

WithHope, yep you got them right. Thank you, I went to both sites. I was hoping that they were going to tell us what meds or something to take to help us make this protien or give us this protien 😀 But it looks like it is in the works that the discovery made will help them help us eventually.