Protien in CSF

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 5:40 pm

I just had a spinal tap today looking for protien to confirm GBS. I am wondering what happens if there is no protien? Is it possible to have GBS without protien in my CSF?

pk

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm

I would like to know the same thing pk. There was very low protein in my husbands fluid and the EMG was inconclusive but he is still being treated with IVIG bc he was deteriorating rapidly Mem. weekend and everything else was ruled out. I think hia right leg is moving a little more but wonder if it just the pain management or his ability to manuever it bc of practice?

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 7:58 pm

Is your husband in the hospital? What led up to your husbands symptoms? I had an EMG/Nerve Conduction test that showed slowed nerve conduction. I guess the protien confirms the GBS dx.

pk

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 8:01 pm

pk,

I have heard of others with inconclusive spinal taps that showed low or no proteins. They instead used the NCV and clinical observations to make the diagnosis.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 8:11 pm

Yes, my husband is in the hospital. Two weeks ago he was admitted to the hospital with what the Doctors felt was pneumonia. He has a history of severe asthma managed by prednisone (steroids). He was released and one week later his feet and legs began to go numb with severe pain. He was once again admitted barely able to walk. The numbness continued spreading rapidly and the Doctors were puzzled. After 4 MRI’s, cat scans, and multiple blood tests basically ruled out anything else. A Neurologist performed the EMG nerve test and then a spinal tap and even though they were not conclusive they began the IVIG anyway and he hasn’t digressed at least. I am puzzled, how did you come to this point? When will you know about the protein in your CSF?

~rothsnid

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 8:28 pm

I’m glad your husband is in the hospital being treated. My case so far is what they have dx’d as subacute. I began having waves of numbness travel up my body with numbness in my lower legs and forearms/hands. My doc has checked everything…B12 def, sed rate, MRI of brain and cervical spine, toxins, etc. The Doc who did my emg is the one who says I have a mild case of GBS. I should get the results of my spinal tap in the next couple of days.

Meanwhile, I will pray for you and your husband. I am so glad to have this site to turn to. GBS is so strange and no one really understands it much.

Take care.

pk

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 9:54 pm

normal protein count is 3 or less. over 45 is accepted as definate inflamation. lp can give false negs. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2006 at 8:14 am

[QUOTE=gene]normal protein count is 3 or less. over 45 is accepted as definate inflamation.[/QUOTE]

There are exceptions to this…Diabetics can have higher than normal CSF protein levels…Mine was 68 when I did the lumbar puncture thing (last year)…

Both MAYO clinic neuro and my regular neuro both say 68 is not high enough to indicate GBS/CIDP, even though I have most of the other symptoms…

Greenwing

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2006 at 1:58 pm

Dear Friends:

Some people have false negatives for protein. I think the protein levels lag the progression of GBS for some people with GBS. I never had my protein level over 37, so if I was diagnosed using just that criteria, I would have been in serious trouble.

Lee

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2006 at 4:44 pm

[QUOTE=pkrn]I just had a spinal tap today looking for protien to confirm GBS. I am wondering what happens if there is no protien? Is it possible to have GBS without protien in my CSF?

pk[/QUOTE]
      I never had an elevated protein and I had 4 spinal taps.

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2006 at 7:32 pm

….However I just got back from another long day and my husband does NOT have GBS, it is Vasculitis and will have a biopsy tommorow on a nerve and muscle to determine what type and then begin very high steroid treatments.

Best wishes to all of you as you fight your battles with this dreadful illness and keep on supporting one another, it has been very helpful for me. I’ve not felt alone.

~Rothsnid

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2006 at 11:33 pm

protein in CSF should be high.
      but my father’s protein level in CSF in normal.
      his doctors said that , not everyone result is so “classic”
      the doctors will dignosis by clinical

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 11:31 pm

[QUOTE=parkslope] and I had 4 spinal taps.[/QUOTE]

Ouch!! Why so many?

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2006 at 6:48 pm

[QUOTE=smallblockfuelie]Ouch!! Why so many?[/QUOTE]
      The docs were looking for the elevated protein. They never found it.:rolleyes: