problems with family doctor

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I am fairly new to this illness i was first diagnosed with gbs and now diagnosed with cidp. My problem is that my family doctor doesnt seem to want to do anything for me. She always tells me to talk to my neurologist. I feel like she doesnt want to deal with me. But then i am concerned maybe its just cuz she doesnt understand what i have. Has anyone else had that when they first got diagnosed.

• GH
      April 29, 2012 at 10:40 pm

My General Practitioner referred me to a neurologist as soon as he determined I had a neurologic condition. I have both a GP and a neurologist. The neurologist treats me for CIDP, and my GP treats me for ordinary ailments. This is normal. The GP need not understand CIDP in depth. It seems unusual that your doctor wouldn’t want to treat you at all, however. Is that what you mean, or do mean that your doctor won’t attempt to answer questions about CIDP?

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2012 at 1:18 am

here is an example. i am having a big problem with depression went to family doctor about it. she tried to get me on cymbalta. so i could possibly not half to take so many meds. the insurance company denied the medicine. so doctor tells me to take it up with the neurologist. i feel like its her place to help me with depression (or counselor) not the neurologist. she has done this to me with other things. says she doesnt want to treat me for something in case its from my cidp. so ifeel like whats the point of going there then if she is not gonna help me with anything.

• GH
      April 30, 2012 at 3:33 am

There has to be a division of responsibility between your doctors, and both need to know all the meds you are taking anyway. I don’t see a problem here, because you should discuss that drug with your neurologist anyway.

I’m conservative when it comes to taking drugs. Some doctors wanted to give me an antidepressant in the hospital, but I refused them. I wouldn’t presume to say whether you should take this drug or not, but you certainly should read up on it and discuss it with your neurologist before deciding to take it. The insurance company always has its say, of course.

Putting a problem off on the neurologist does not seem like a good reason to drop a General Practitioner to me. I see my GP for high blood pressure, skin rashes, and other ordinary stuff. I see my neurologist for CIDP. I’m not sure where depression would fall., as I was not treated for it.