problem with hands

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Hi All: Hope you all had a happy new year. Among my other residuals I have pain in the wrist and hands that is much like carpal tunnel and wear braces on both wrists. Lately the pain and numbness has increased greatly with no cause that I can tell. My hands go numb all through the night and sometimes during the day, and when I wake up in the mornings my left hand has been completely paralyzed. It has taken me up to ten minutes of moving the fingers with my other hand to get it moving again and this with a great deal of pain. I have seen a rheumotolgist who told me I had no signs of arthritis at all and that all he could say was residuals. I wonder if any of you have had this problem and seen it get worse, and what, if anything, can I do about it. I am on oxycontin and neurontin for pain in the legs but wonder if an antiinflammatory might help too. I hate to take more meds but I am having pain in my wrists that lasts much of the day and night and nothing has helped. It is making pushing my wheelchair all that much harder as well. Any suggestions? Thanks for all your help, Jeff

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2008 at 11:42 pm

How long has it been since your onset of GBS? I had noticed others with problems with their wrists and hands like you mentioned when I was coming up thru the ranks. I did not have that problem but later it showed up and lasted a few months. I was in rehab at the time and mentioned it to them. The OT that specialized in hands told me to give it time and not to get any surgery on it. It did go away and I avoided surgery. I had to retrain myself to bring my wrists up across the chest as I slept and I locked one arm in with the other one as I layed on my side. If they started to fall asleep or get uncomfortable I trained myself to wake up enough and reposition them. it is very common for a person with GBS to pull their hands up toward their chin and let the hand flop forward because all muscles are weak. This has been referred to several times to chipmunk or squirrel paws. Some have given it time and opted to have surgery. Many have got better with time. I wish you well and Happy New Year to you also! Be patient others will respond also. I don’t make any comments on medications since I never needed them the pains I had I could tollerate or were not consistantly there.

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, I don’t have any answers. Just to let you know that I share some of what you are going through. It doesn’t surprise me that I have nerve damage in my wrists as I have been a ‘secretary’ all my working life. I’ve heard enough stories about surgery and will never have that done. I just try to deal with it, but do worry as this is my occupation.

Take care and I hope you get some relief soon!

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Thanks Kit and Chrissy. Kit-I had GBS almost three years ago. My hands were partially paralyzed but they seemed to heal quickly. About a year ago I started to get pain in my wrists and hands and that has increased a lot in the last month. I am most concerned because my hands are getting worse now. Thanks Chrissy for your support. Jeff

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2008 at 9:34 pm

jeff,

perhaps a ncv is in order. if the ncv is ok, then you must give your hands/wrists more rest [i know that would be hard cuz you propel yourself w them]. lastly, but it seems too early, you might have that post polio like thingie that some say can come on abt 10 yrs after the initial gbs attack. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Thanks Gene. I have an appointment with my rehabilitation and pain management doc on Monday and will discuss these possibilities. I am trying to rest my hands by not holding books (am listening to audio books instead) and watching how I sleep on my arms as well. It is amazing how difficult things are when your hands are not working so well. Jeff

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2008 at 8:02 am

jeff,

you can also buy a book stand. it holds the book & you only need to turn the page after reading it. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Check out the internet for B6 vitamin and Carpal tunnel Syndrome.

Large doses of B6 should help.

Remember to take B12 as well.

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2008 at 1:43 am

Wish I could give you a hand, but mine are just like yours. Gene, you are right about the 10 year mark, as this is about the time mine started bothering me. I never did post about it though. Jeff, I too am on the same two medicines you are and a bunch more to boot. I just take alot of antiinflamatory type drugs for them and try to keep them under the covers and warm, and that does help some doing that. Mine are hurting now as I am typeing this post here, but it is almost bed time for me and also medicine time…again. 🙁 God bless all my frineds on here and hang in there…cause we are gonna make it.
      Good night all.
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Jeff, Try wearing wrist splint ups at night or during the day when you use your hands. They rest the hand in the proper position, allowing for better blood flow through the tunnels. The pain might be caused by the tendons rubbing on the tunnel because they are too swollen. This in turn causes a snowball effect with the blood flow and muscles and nerve signals in the hands/fingers. there are also some therapeutic gloves that you might try wearing during the day while using your hands. you can find them at sewing/fabric/quilting shops. Quilters use them to relieve hand pain/tension. They are usually $10 or less. It will take a few weeks to get the tendons shrunk down while using the splintups but it does work. if you can’t find them at your store in the bandage/heat therapy aisle, then look for a bowlers wrist guard, its the same thing. Take care.

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Thanks all. I appreciate your comments. Cheryl-I have worn the splints for over a year but, while they seemed to help at first, my hands keep getting worse. I might think about the gloves. Thanks Drummer-taking all these meds is very much a drag and I have not wanted to add an antiinflammatory on my own-will talk to my doc tomorrow. Jeff