Problem With Forum Already

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 11:57 am

Hi,
      Some of our members are having a problem accessing this forum, so it’s possible things will be a mess for awhile.
      I’d appreciate any advice on what I should tell people who email me that they can’t access. What can they do. I’m in New York and I think I hear Brandy screaming across the river in New Jersey.

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 12:07 pm

Liz the URL/link on the GBSFI main page is no good. Some people might have the bookmarks or favorites to the old forum and it might not be exactly right. I was lucky my link worked ok. They may have to bookmark or add a new favorite for this forum.

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 12:14 pm

Liz…

I think people may be confused about registering with gbsfi (where you can request gettng information about gbs/cidp) and registering with the forum…

If they go to this site

[url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/index.php[/url]

they should see a place to register for the forums in the upper left hand corner underneath the word [B]Forums[/B]

This is just a guess about what the problem might be… ๐Ÿ™‚

Aimee

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 12:15 pm

Hi Liz,

I am here now thanks to Pam and Norb. I had to renenter the http address and I also forgot to tell the site to remember my name for when I return.

Yes, you did here me screaming across the river and I am sure you heard me now that I am closer to New York. Did you hear me cursing up a big storm?

Ok at least we can now help all those that might need some help. I e-mailed
      alot of people who couldn’t get in yesterday and today, so I’m hoping that this will have helped. I told them they had to reregister and gave them the address and that to save their name to this website. PHEW.

We are all newbies again. So let’s get started on helping the real newbies when they register now.

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 12:36 pm

I have an icon on the desktop pointing to this address:

[url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2[/url]

that gets me right to where I want to be.

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 1:03 pm

Here is another problem I am having with these Forums. I can’t get the standard posts to a thread. I get the little box on top that has a few words and only the original posters thread. I tried changing it in my profile area,but with no success.Anyone can you help me correct this problem? I am getting frustrated and the gif attachments aren’t showing either , only a link to the attachment of the gifs I use.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 1:09 pm

Brandy,
      So glad to see that you can access now. I tried a few things and sent you another email but there’s an “oooops” in it. I found out that [url]www.gbs-cidp.org[/url] doesn’t get us here (error page). I get here by putting in [url]www.gbs-cidp.org/forums[/url] The email I sent to you I typed /forum and that brings up error page, it must be /forums ๐Ÿ™‚

My ears aren’t tender, years of working at a VA hospital, heard everything and said everything myself to a rat in my life. ##**XX^&

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 1:15 pm

I don’t quite understand what you are describing. What is the http address you are using to first get in? I don’t seem to have any problems.

I havn’t tried an attachment yet but will do it here.

… that worked OK. I used this file from my hard disk.

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 1:28 pm

Dear Friends:

This site first came on line at 10 PM Eastern time on Friday. That would tell me that someone put in some long hours to get this back on-line. I think we should appreciate this effort. I am pretty sure that the forum is in the process of being repaired. The avatars are not turned on. Attachments probably won’t work, and there are no sub-categories of forums. I think if everyone is patient that all the bugs are going to be worked out soon enough. I am thankful they at least got something up so that our community can re-unite. As far as attachments, links on the home page, graphics, avatars, and trying to re-create our past work, I feel it may be wise to wait until the site is up and functioning properly. I certainly don’t want to make it any harder for the IT person. For the time being, things aren’t perfect, but they are a whole lot better than they were before Friday night.

As an endorsement, I have seen other sites which have used the V-bulletin software, and when it is up and running properly, it is really, really cool. Furthermore, V-bulletin is about 1000 times more secure than our old software. I know it will take some getting used to, but once we learn how to use it, I think you will all be impressed.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 2:17 pm

I did the “Log Out” to see what would happen and what I would have to do to log back in and a message popped up saying that “all cookies would be deleted” or something… I asked my husband whether I should continue or not… He said that was a good feather that most discussion boards do not have… I am not exactly sure what it means, but it is nice to keep things tidy… I guess that goes for cookies too… ๐Ÿ™‚

Aimee

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 3:47 pm

I can understand your concern but I don’t see how we can make it any more difficult for the administrator by trying out the available features of this new software. During my 30+ years in the computing field I personally have designed a lot of complicated software and installed difficult commercial packages on a variety of platforms and operating systems. Once I had it up and running – which is true for this forum – I usually asked my users to try it out and give me feedback.

You are right, certain features apparently are not turned on yet and here we need to be patient.

If the administrator would want us to wait with certain activities, I would expect him or her to post a request accordingly. I have not seen one.

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 6:08 pm

Dear Norb:

This site came back online at 10PM on Friday night, which is pretty late working hours. The link from the main GBSFI page still hasn’t been fixed. To me, that looks like a work in progress. I wonder if the poor IT tech shows up on Monday and all of a sudden finds 200 posts on a site he/she didn’t even know was up and working. Anyway, I guess we will find out in the near future.

Anyway, you are right about the tech needing some feedback. That was good thinking on your part. I just wanted to keep everything positive and let the tech know how much we appreciate getting the forums back.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 7:07 pm

The same thought has occured to me, too. Maybe I’ve taken too much for granted. I really don’t know a thing about the wonderful person who is bringing this site up again. Like you said, he or she may be totally surprised tomorrow to find out how much has been going on at the forum since it came up.

I’ve been thinking too much in my own box and how I would have done it: Test it on my own by not making it public and then open it up. Once it was open I would expect my users – anxious to get going again – to really go for it and hit it hard, no holds barred. I think this is what is happening.

Should be interesting tommorow. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 7:19 pm

Guys…

I think that I sent a message “Thank You” to our techie… I was looking at one page about the “Forums” and saw that the administrator was “gbsfi”… I clicked on the profile and it just said gbsfi with no messages to his credit… I sent him a note thanking him for getting this back up… Maybe his day won’t be so hard tomorrw… He has all these posts and at least one “thank you”… ๐Ÿ™‚

Aimee

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 8:46 pm

Dear Aimee:

That is really thoughtful of you. It never occured to me that the member GBSFI would get to the tech. I guess thats the good thing about this forum. A lot of minds seeing things from different experiences.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2006 at 6:48 am

I am a little frustrated just reading the posts because there is nothing to indicate whether or not I already clicked on a certain thread. On the old board there were little symbols to tell you whether you had read it or not, and if there were new messages since you posted, that sort of thing. On this board, I assumed maybe the color of the thread title would change once you clicked through it, but no. Hmmm……… :confused:

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2006 at 7:11 am

Hi there OneEyedBirdie…

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2006 at 8:14 am

Birdie on the page with all the list of threads if you see one that is bolder it means you haven’t read it yet. Also once you click on it on the top of the page before the first post you will see VIEW FIRST UNREAD POST If you don’t see that that means you already read it.

Sue

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2006 at 4:11 pm

Yeah I figured the thread titles would be bold if I hadn’t read them and light if I had but when I was cruising around the board earlier, the titles weren’t changing. Now that I’ve logged out and logged back on, they are showing bold and un-bold (lol). Maybe it just took awhile to catch up. :p

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2006 at 4:44 pm

CRUD!
      Now it’s showing ALL of the posts as read (in light blue) and I’ve only checked a couple. There’s only 2 dark blue posts (unread) that must have posted when I did. Arrghghhh ~

Oh well, there are going to be some glitches at first.

Anyone know when we will get avatars?

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2006 at 10:39 pm

Lee,

You seem to know a lot about the workings of the forum. I keep sending a message on the “contact” link and my message comes back that they can’t deliver or find where to deliver it to. I know we must be patient but I had to rewrite my post 3 times and finally I got one through by a different method. If I use “post reply”, I get logged off and my message deleted. If I use the icon for a quick reply I still can get through. I know that we can call the forum if we have problems, but I hate to bother them for this. I thought an email would be easier for them. Thanks Lee, Judy

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2006 at 11:15 pm

Hi,
      I tried to access our forum my usual way, going online with internet explorer, about 11:30pm and I got “page cannot be displayed”. I was going to wait until morning, but decided to try again and go online with my mozilla firefox and that got me here.

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2006 at 5:45 am

I agree that a lot of work has been done to get the site back up. I am very thankful for what has been done and is being done to give us a great site again.

Yet, I have had a few times where I can not log on. One example was yesterday from about 4pm until this morning. This morning I tried and it worked. During the done period I would get a warning indicating I was using the wrong URL or the site was down.

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2006 at 11:24 am

Hi,
      I called the foundation and it was just a database problem, that’s common, but with the hacking so recent, it was cause for alarm, those three emails I sent out to frequent posters, can be ignored.

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2006 at 2:12 pm

Did everyone have to completely reregister?? If so, I would think it would say something about that here: [url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/[/url] or at least here [url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/index.php[/url] , at the top of the forum itself.

I had no idea the forums were back, I’ve just been checking every couple of weeks. When I tried to log in, the system didn’t recognize me (and when I reregistered, my screen name was *available*– so I [I]must’ve[/I] been deleted.)

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2006 at 5:30 pm

Welcome back Cat. No we had reregistered but some days we have a problem getting in. I should cross my fingers it’s been ok the last few days.

Sue

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2006 at 6:56 am

I still can’t figure out how to post a thread. Probably just me but I would love someone to give me a hand.
      Connie

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2006 at 8:15 am

Hi Connie.

When your on the main page within each section looking at all the threads it contains, in the upper left above the thread listing is a blue button that says new thread. Hope that helps.

Jerimy