Problem with Emily’s port

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2009 at 9:44 am

The new nurse came yesterday to give Emily her infusion. She accessed the port but couldn’t get a blood return on it. When she flushed with saline it was hard to push it through. The heparin went in a little easier.

The nurse thinks maybe the port is clogged since it’s 3 years old. I’m worried the catheter is kinked & the port will need to be replaced.

The nurse is coming back today to inject Cathflo into the port to see if that will work. If it doesn’t then Emily will have to have an IV put in to get her IVIG today. Then she’ll be having surgery to remove the port & having a new one put in.

Emily is completely freaking out over this. She cried herself to sleep last night & first thing this morning she started talking about it.

I am bribing her with a game called Bop It. (Hey, a moms gotta do what a moms gotta do).

This is all on top of Emily’s hamster dying 2 days ago. We buried the hamster in the backyard, by the swing set, last night. My husband put the hamster in an empty match box & then put that in a Ziploc baggie. Emily put the hamster in the grave herself & picked out the perfect rock as a grave stone. In the spring she’s going to paint the hamsters name on the rock.

The kid has had a rough week.

Please say a prayer that there isn’t anything majorly wrong with the port & all goes well today.

Thanks.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2009 at 9:53 am

kelly,
      i sure hope it works out when the nurse comes back.
      my thoughts are with you both.
      hug,
      alice

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2009 at 10:19 am

Thanks Alice.

I hope it works out too.

I don’t want Emily to have to go through another surgery.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2009 at 2:34 pm

has the nurse come back to try to make it work?
      hope so,
      a.

• October 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm

With a Mom like you Emily will be OK. You’re the best. My prayers and best wishes.

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2009 at 7:35 pm

New nurse came back. She put cathflo in port, let is sit for 30 minutes & WHOLLA! port is fixed.

Emily was a trooper & only get slightly freaked out when she was putting the cathflo in – Emily was afraid it would hurt. But she didn’t feel a thing.

The nurse did spill blood on my jeans though…but at least the port is working.

Kelly

• October 2, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I talked to you, ain’t writing too!!! lol
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Dawn – You did just write to me, LOL!

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2009 at 2:56 pm

it got resolved…
      a.