Primary Care Doctor in Wash D.C. Area

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2006 at 8:35 pm

My primary care doctor (internist) who helped me through hardest portions of my ongoing recovery from GBS over the last two years is retiring. Anyone know of a good primary care doctor/internist in the Washington DC or Bethesda MD area who might have some experience with GBS recovery?

Jonathan

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 11:23 am

Jonathan,

I live in N.Virginia and have been looking for a ‘gbs’ neuro for well over a year now with no luck. I called the one or two that were suggested on the forum (before it crashed) to me, spoke to a nurse in both practises (cant remember the names now, it was last year) and they came back to me saying that the neuro wasnt that familiar with gbs, but they had both seen a case. Also resorted to “cold” calling neuro’s in the Northern VA area, with no luck. I have had such a VERY bad experience with one in my town, that I really dont want to go see another unless he/she is quite familiar with gbs, cidp or post gbs as I dont feeling like paying tons of money only to leave feeling defeated with no answers. The foundation is/was in the process of trying to compile a list of neuro’s, that information, I was told, was also made up of referrals from patients and forum members. Im not sure how far they have come, or if it has been completed yet. Also, I have been told that Balt/Washington Hospital may have a Neurologist that could be familiar with gbs. I havent called to find out yet because it is quit far, but I will travel if things get worse.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 4:50 pm

Alison,

If you succeed in finding a good N.VA neuro for GBS, please let me know. I also live in N. VA and am looking. Good luck on your search.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 5:16 pm

Will definitely do that Suzanne, ditto for you.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 8:10 pm

Alison,

Will do. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 8:34 pm

Thanx for the replies. I guess by definition a primary care physician/internist is unlikely to be familiar with GBS, unless he/she has helped a patient through it, as did my old internist.

I actually had two pretty decent nuerologists in Bethesda MD (they may also have an office downtown). I think that I was a “rare” case for them, so they took particular interest in my case while I was hospitalized and during the early stages of my recovery. However, once I was back up and walking around normally, they had limited advice in dealing with fatigue issues that persisted for some time.

Jonathan

P.S. In case you are interested, their contact info is below:

Martin S. Rusinowitz MD
      Nirjal K. Nikhar MD
      The Neurology Clinic of Washington
      (301) 260-7600
      8218 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite P14
      Bethesda, MD 20814