Pregnancy and GBS

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2007 at 11:30 pm

A local doctor here in Louisiana told me that since I’ve had GBS I can never have children because it may trigger a new episode. Have any of you had this experience?

Ginger

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 6:17 am

Hi Ginger,

I am not a mother myself, but there will probably be other members of the forum who will tell you their experiences with pregnancy after having GBS, because women did get pregnant after having this illness. If you look at the main page of the forum, you will see there is also a forum for expectant mothers. I hope you will get some answers. Take care.

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 8:25 am

Ginger,

I started a thread early last year that you may find interesting. Copy and paste [URL=”http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85&highlight=Pregnancy”%5Dwww.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85&highlight=Pregnancy%5B/URL%5D. I know that Kassandra, one or our Liaisons was told the same thing many many years ago. If you go to the search icon at the top, type in Pregnancy, and it will bring up all threads that have the word pregnancy in it. The word will be highlighted for easier reading, so you can see if any posts are relevant or not. I hope that helps.

Just a quick word, I have had 2 children since GBS.

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 11:06 am

hi ginger & welcome,

many things MAY trigger gbs. stress is one of them. however if we live in a cellophane bag we’d never do anything. many on this site know i am quite a conservative person & believe on erring to the safe side. that being said, many here, prolly all, who have become pregnant never contracted a 2nd case of gbs. btw, the fact that you had gbs will not cause any damage to the fetus. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2007 at 10:00 pm

Hi Ginger, Go for it!!! another member had a baby last year. 🙂 make sure you have a way to reduce the stress and you should do great. Good Luck! take care.

• January 28, 2007 at 11:31 pm

I know my menstrual cycle causes residuals…I now judge PMS by my left foot and leg hurting and feeling wierd. I had asked awhile ago if any women of child bearing age had the same problem. It would be interesting to read or hear if pregnancy causes residuals to act up as well. I am off to read that link….

If ya go for it, good luck and best of wishes for a happy, healthy new angel!

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2007 at 10:00 pm

Hi Ginger! You’ll probably want to check out the thread on GBS and pregnancy on this forum and talk to other women who’ve dealt with the same issues. Please let us know what you decide though. It would be great to have a new baby in the family!

Shannon

• Anonymous
      March 9, 2007 at 10:22 am

Hi Ginger;
      I’ve had 3 children post GBS. The only thing my OB advised was C- sections ; because of sensation problems. I didn’t have the ability to push correctly. Just take it easy and remember that you need plenty of rest ,excercise,(but don’t overdue it) and remember being pregnant does not give you a free pass to eat everything in sight. The extra weight will make it harder on you and even more tired. Try to maintain a healthy balance. My kids are now 22, 19, and 18 years of age. Plus 3 grandbabies….. All healthy…. Live your life and take care…..