Prednisone Vs. Methylprednisolone

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2011 at 1:25 am

Greetings,

I have been on 1000 mg/wk of Methylprednisolone for 6 weeks. No improvement yet – but still hoping. I have almost no side effects at all – just slight jitters on the day of the IV.

A couple of months back I posted a question regarding oral Prednisone Vs. IV Methylprednisolone (Solumedrol). My neuro told me that, for the same degree of immunosuppression, the IV Solumedrol has less side effects.

Based upon what I read here, and the fact that the dosage I am taking of Solumedrol is equivalent to ~ 187mg/d of prednisone, I think it must be true that IV Solumedrol has fewer side effects.

Anyone else had the same experience?

Mark

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2011 at 5:02 am

I dobelieve that solumedrol has much fewer side effects, although I did gain 80# in 21 months at 1,000 mg per week whileI was on it, been battling the weight ever since I also needed cataract surgery on both eyes at 51, also from the steroids. And my bones aged considerably. But it did keep me out of the nursing home (just barely,) during the time I was on it. Cytoxan infusions for 9 months finally arrested my CIDP back in 2003; they weren’t doing the high dose cytoxan treatment way back then.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2011 at 1:36 am

Pam,

I appreciate your comments. From what I understand, the Hy-Cy protocol is very high doses but only for a short time. I read somewhere that with the reduced exposure time that you actually have less risk of developing cancer. Do you know of any evidence to that notion?

Mark