Post-GBS Surgey

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2008 at 8:32 am

I had GBS back in 1995. Sometime in November I have to have the first surgey I’ve ever had in my life; it’s whats called laproscopic fundoplication. It is to correct severe GERD and a hiatal hernia.

I had my first meeting with my surgeon yesterday; he seems like a great guy, and it all went well. However, he mentioned two complications from GBS that could arise; he said tha people who have had GBS usually have a hard time with anestesia, that the recovery from its effects takes much longer.

He also said, that while a “normal” recovery time would be around 1 week, because of the GBS it might take up to two weeks.

Has any GBSers here had surgery subsequent to their GBS, and how did it go? Were there any side effects from the anestesia?

Thanks so much~!
      Bill

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2008 at 10:51 am

Had GBS 25 years ago. In 1995, I had major surgery and it went well. I did not feel there were any issues around GBS but my dr’s knew my history and I believe they took that in to account.

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2008 at 11:25 am

It’s very good that your doc appreciates your issues [I’ve CIDP] and that makes a big difference in how they approach your surgery.
      2-1/2 years ago I had a cancer surgery that lasted for 5 hours [followed by a second surgery of 2 hours 2 months later]. What I did with every single doctor involved each time was say I have a DEMEYELINATING disease, a cousin of sorts to MS. They all ‘get’ this with their sort attention spans. Why? Because MS folks have a DM issue which occurs in their brains rather than the peripheral nerves and many have suffered adversely from different anathesias – they are a very active group and procedures have changed for them. The same procedures for us do apply.
      Now as to recovery? Key is to try and drink as much water and other constructive fluids post-op as possible, and, also to move as much as is safe and as you are able. The sooner you get the anathesia out of your system, the better off you will be. At least, that’s been my experience.
      I hope this helps allay your fears. I’ve had several surgeries over the years [pre and post CIDP], and the ones above were the BIGGEST tho. Nothing ever eliminates the jitters, nor should they. Just follow all directions about pre-surgery prep [when to stop some vitamins and meds etc.] and all the what to eat or nots as well. The only other thing to expect is that the pain meds usually constipate like the dickens! Eating lite and taking all the things that work for you from the get go will help that issue.
      I’ve found that the first 10 days post surgery are the worst? But after that you will be going crazy and be pushing the envelope to get out and go and do things. GBS has taught you caution, you just have to be a bit more cautious.
      So go and get it over with, and I’m hoping that you ultimately feel lots better about 3 weeks after it all! I’ll be looking for updates!

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Bill, I had an outpatient surgery which required anesthesia about 3 years post GBS. Although the surgery was minor, it did take some time to get back to where I was. I went back to PT a few days a week to help jump start everything and that seemed to help. It’s very important that everyone involved in the surgery is familiar with GBS & it’s affects on surgical recovery.
      I understand your apprehension, I am scheduled for brain surgery in Nov. and I am scared to death! But if these surgeries are a means to improving our health guess we gotta do what we gotta do.
      Good luck, better health,

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2008 at 3:29 pm

🙂 Hi Bill,

5 weeks ago today I had laproscopic hernia surgery.. 😮 they put a mesh in groin area… I’m starting to get back to “nomal”, still need to stretch to get flexibility back.. I haven’t pushed to soon with the lifting excercise etc.. I think it took me about 2-3 weeks for the healing on the outside, but I’ve been told takes longer for inside…. I didn’t have any issues with anesthesia…. , they put me under at 11 a.m. and woke me up at 12 p.m… Job done.. The anesthesiologist and doctor will watch you carefully.. I think a lot depends on your past history…JayDee is right. You do what ya gotta do. I could’ve put this off, but I thought get it done now, rather than later…. Good Luck….
      P>S> I came down with gbs 11/07……deanop

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2008 at 6:50 pm

I just had surgery two weeks ago and actually did pretty good with everything. Am a little slow in healing but that is expected with me and my problems but so far so good. Actually being in my second week going starting on my 3rd.. I don’t think I am doing to bad. Did tell everyone I had CIDP and they took care of me! Good luck on your surgery and I hope you do well!

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2008 at 3:52 am

i had surgery a month ago (2 years post GBS) and my biggest concerns were 1. anaesthetic and breathing and 2. possible reactiont o surgery itself

The anaesthetist said because of having a trachy he would check for scar tissue and if a smaller size tube needed he would mark it in my file for future reference. Recovered fine from the GA, better than i ever have before in fact. No issues whatsoever.
      No problems with the surgery or recovery and no hint of any GBS like reactions so all is good

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2008 at 11:58 am

Hi, I actually had surgery while still recovering from GBS. I had to have both heel cords lengthened due to not walking for months. The only concern, which I don’t think is applicable in your situation, is that my doctors changed anesthetics because the one they normally would use had an increased chance of damaging the nerves without myelin sheath recovery.

The surgery went well and probably ended up speeding my overall recovery. Just inquire with your anesthesiologist.

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2008 at 4:42 pm

i had gbs 2 yrs ago but have had two major flareups since then. i had surgery on my achilles tendons everything went well no complications.kept me in the hospital one night to watch me after the anastesia.
      jojo

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Hi. I was dx’d with GBS 12/06. I have been on disability for the last year. Last August, I had my gall bladder taken out. The next morning I was in the ER with a lot of pain and blood pressure of 60 over 40. Took all day to stablize me then they went back in. I had hemmoraged. When they went to remove the breathing tube after they went back in, I went into respiratory failure. I was in the icu on a respirator for another day, 3 days in icu and 4 more days in the room. Took me about 3 weeks to get over that. It was scary as hell.

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Hi Bill.
      Last year I had a triple bi-pass. I was on the heart lung machine for about 2 hours and under for 6. I was home walking in 6 days. One thing I did was to tell everyone involved I had had GBS. I asked if they knew what it was and only one didn’t and I told her what it was.
      My anthioligist (I had 3 ) all were very well versed in GBS and the chief said she had changed one of the meds she uses while I would be under. I had no problems or pain.
      I have a Neuro doctor wanting to do back surgery on me but he can’t for at least 15-24 months due to the poss anthisea that may still be in im lungs.
      I turned myself over to God and said lets do it a new adventure. I feel you will be fine. Some may tell you horror storys about surgery but theses are few. Go with faith and I am sure you will be fine. I have you in my prayers (Steve)