Currently: Clear

Austin, MN
      Temperature: 16°

Currently: Clear

Full Forecast

Pork Processors Become Ill

Dean DeBoer
      KTTC

Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy or CIDP is what the state health department is calling the illness. The first case was reported in December of 2006, the latest just this past November.

“At this point we have not determined a specific cause for the illnesses, it’s very early in the investigation.”

CIDP is what the State Health Department is calling the disease.

Ruth Lynfield, a State Epidemiologist says, “The 11 workers do not appear to have any commonalities outside of work; they are different ages, different genders, different ethnic groups.”

The 11 workers showed different symptoms as well, from numbness to severe weakness.

Lynfield says, “what the disease is is an inflammatory response to something, there could be several different causes to that response.”

The only thing that is common between the workers, is well, where they work.

Kelly Wadding, President and CEO QPP, explains, “is where they process the head of the hog, and that is done with wizard knives and they basically dismantle and take meat off the hog head”

Wadding said that the workers have been given masks and protective sleeves and the plant discontinued using compressed air to remove some of the scraps leftover from the hogs.

The investigation is on going into what caused this unusual illness.

Lynfield says, “I am optimistic that we will learn a great deal more in the near future”

Sanne Magnan, the state health commissioner, did say that Quality Pork Processors has cooperated fully in the investigation.

So far the state has not found any other cases at any other similar plants in the United States.

Health officials say so far all 11 cases are isolated to Austin and no cases have been linked to eating pork or any pork by-products.

Updated: December 3, 2007, 4:58 pm

E-mail This Story Print This Story

More Headlines
      » British Teacher Leaves Sudan after Presidential Pardon
      »——————————————————————————–

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2007 at 11:43 pm

NF, Very Interesting, Thank You for posting that! Hope You are doing Well.:)

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2007 at 12:55 am

I have had CIDP for God know how long, but was diagnosed two years ago. I’m really a big pork eater. I read this article today and was shocked. Thank You for posting this for all to see. I did not know how to post it, so I’m glad you did.

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2007 at 12:07 pm

I would like to know if there were any mandatory vaccines prior to working there. Maybe a new chemical of some kind is being used. I doubt we ever find out the whole truth.

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2007 at 12:53 pm

I think it’s a little too early to guesstimate about how all this came about.

Dell was 5-8 months of age at the time of onset and I am the kind of mom who starts feeding her children with the “books” say to do it. He would have been on only fruits and vegt. at that time of his life.

Lori

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2007 at 4:05 pm

I honestly think that there is another link besides the pork. If the pork was the problem then people at other plants would be getting sick as well. I wonder if they had a flu vaccine day or something similar. Heck, it might even be caused by mold in that specific area.

Now as much as I’m trying to tell myself that it isn’t the pork there’s still that crazy fear going in the back of my head. Emily doesn’t really eat meat. She will eat bacon or sausage though so she will have either of them once a week. Aren’t hot dogs made from pigs too? She eats those once a week, sometimes more – like she’s already had 3 this week & it’s only Wednesday.

Kelly
      (trying to be as optimistic as possible)

• Anonymous
      December 6, 2007 at 10:22 pm

As someone who’s had cidp since 15, and a vegeterian since I was four and a jew on top of that, I’ve got to say I really doubt there’s a direct link between cidp and pork.

Though I have no medical anything to back that up!

• December 7, 2007 at 10:34 am

It has to be some sort of chemical used in the processing. Or even a vaccine that they might have to get. I remember something about a swine flu vaccine in the 70’s and a high incident of gbs? I think?!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2007 at 5:42 am

I suspect it’s more like there is a bacteria or virus residing in the brain or lining of the brain of the pig that humans respond to. Not everyone working on the pig head table would be exposed because not every pig has this bacteria or virus and as we know, everyone’s immune system is different so some exposed might not develop CIDP etc. Whatever this virus or bacteria is it somehow triggers the CIDP. That’s my suspicion anyway. I feel horrible that I’m excited about this outbreak but wouldn’t it be amazing if they found out what caused it in these people? Then, just possibly, we could be aware or and/or eliminate at least one trigger. That’s all I’m hoping for right now… but I hope they find out about the forum and join the family. 🙂

P.S. When I was 12 they thought I had swine flu because I got really sick, my Dad had just travelled to the Far East where there was an outbreak of Swine Flu etc. etc. etc. To make a long story short – I sat in pediatric isolation watching my brother draw pictures of pigs with wings outside the window until they figured out it was mono instead. It was still kind of weird to get mono at 12 though, I didn’t even know what boys were at that age except pests. 🙂

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2007 at 10:01 pm

my husband works in a meat processing plant and from what he said the plant brings in a nurse to give flu vaccines to help keep the workers healthy. More than likely this is the cause more so than any chemical(which are food grade use)or anything from the hog itself(remember they use air pressure which would put anything into the air for everyone to breath in). Also the cluster factor who knows if all these employees are from just that area? they could have moved there for the job as at my husbands company they bring people in from all over. Yes this is strange but maybe through the CDC research some kind of help for this stupid disease may come through but I certainly do not believe it to be pork causing this.
      😮

• Anonymous
      December 14, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Just got back to the forum today and the story as I read it in the Dec 8 issue of the Oklahoman was that the brains were removed from the head using high pressure air hoses ?? and the mist that this created was suspected of being the culprit. It was an Associated Press story with a lot of emphasis on how rare and how disabling CIDP is.

Morris Bealmer