poem published

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2006 at 1:00 am

[COLOR=red]A poem I wrote was published in my local paper:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000][CENTER][CENTER][B][U][FONT=’Courier New’][COLOR=red]Not Like Us[/COLOR][/FONT][/U][/B][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Shhh….[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Don’t stare at them.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]You might make them feel uneasy.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Those people are not like us.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Oh, you say?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]They look like us,
      And they sound like us,
      And they smell like us,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]But I tell you,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]They’re not like us.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Our kind used to be,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Carefree and taking everything for granted.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Like them.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]But now they just tolerate our kind,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Most would be happier if we just went away.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]No, they won’t admit it, but,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]If they did care why do we have to struggle so?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Their world is not designed for us.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]We are tolerated, that’s it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Think about it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]How often do you see our kind?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]In the media, in the workforce, or in everyday life?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Maybe someday we’ll be accepted,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]And not pitied.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]For you see we are different because,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]We live our lives in a chair on wheels.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER][/CENTER]
      [RIGHT][RIGHT][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT][COLOR=red][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3]-[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=’Freestyle Script’]Dave Shafto[/FONT][/COLOR][/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT][FONT=’Courier New’][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]June 2002[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/RIGHT][/RIGHT]
      [/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2006 at 1:35 am

[COLOR=”Purple”]Congratulations, Dave on being published. It’s beautifully written and will hopefully make a lot of people think………….Vicki[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2006 at 12:17 pm

When I was told that CIDP was very rare, I felt “special”… I wish that feeling could have lasted longer than it did… Your poem reminded me of when it disappeared… 🙁

Aimee

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2006 at 8:41 pm

[B]Congratulations Dave, this is wonderful.[/B]

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2006 at 9:04 am

Go Dave! Awesome!

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 1:38 pm

[COLOR=red] I had a second poem published, WOO-HOO![/COLOR]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][/COLOR]
      [B][U][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]These Wheels[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/B]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][COLOR=red] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]Hello, is someone there[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]I’m down here, in this wheelchair[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]Please, don’t go away[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]I don’t bite, please stay[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]I need a friend, someone who won’t leave[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]My world is this chair, it’s very lonely[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]Maybe we could talk for a little while[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]I’ll try to be silly, and make you smile[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]We could share a laugh or even a cry[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]It might be fun let’s give it a try[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]For I am a person, just like you[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]I have wants and needs, and desires too[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]And just like you I can love and feel[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]Even though I walk with these four wheels[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER][/CENTER]
      [RIGHT][CENTER][FONT=Amaze][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]-Dave Shafto[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/RIGHT][/CENTER]
      [RIGHT][CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]July 2002[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/RIGHT]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE] [/CENTER]

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 2:30 pm

Wow … big-time Congrats? Can I offer you a virtual girly, watery beer such as a Coors Light? Oh, heck … such great accomplishment I think we should open a bottle of single malt.

Very well done, sir.

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 5:19 pm

Congratulation Dave I loved reading both. Right now my Father is in a wheel chair in hospitals since May 23 this year.

Sue

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 8:21 pm

[SIZE=”3″][COLOR=”Purple”]Congrats Dave. Your words never cease to move me! Vicki[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2006 at 8:58 pm

Thanks so much for sharing them Dave…So eloquent and heartfelt. Keep em coming. Single malts in the Tavern for the boys!

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2006 at 1:51 pm

That is AWESOME CaptainDave!!!!!!!!!! I’m feel honored to know you!!! Keep up the Great Work!!!

since you have had 2 published, why don’t you put all your works in a book format and try to get them published!! i would want a signed first edition, of course!!!!!:)

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 9:52 pm

Congradulations Dave on being published. It is a wonderful poem, very thought provokig. I was in a chair for a short time. God blessed me with medicines that helped. I did not have the privelige of reading the first one. could you reprint it again for us to read?
      I am not only K C’s Mom, but also the mom of a fire captain in Va. Bch.
      I have printed up this post so I can share it with him.
      Mary Ann

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2007 at 12:36 am

perfect! SO true

Thank you

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2007 at 11:34 am

[COLOR=red][QUOTE][COLOR=#000000]Congradulations Dave on being published. It is a wonderful poem, very thought provokig. I was in a chair for a short time. God blessed me with medicines that helped. I did not have the privelige of reading the first one. could you reprint it again for us to read?
      I am not only K C’s Mom, but also the mom of a fire captain in Va. Bch.
      I have printed up this post so I can share it with him.
      Mary Ann[/COLOR][/QUOTE] [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]sure which poem?[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2007 at 4:54 pm

Congratulations Dave. Much luck in you publishing ventures.

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2007 at 4:54 pm

Congratulations Dave. Much luck in you publishing ventures.

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2007 at 12:20 am

[COLOR=”RoyalBlue”][B]Congratulations Dave. 🙂 🙂 [/B][/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2007 at 7:43 am

Dave that’s awesome. Congrats

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2007 at 1:34 am

[B][I][U][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]Awaken in the Night[/FONT][/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]
      [CENTER][CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman]In the depths of a cold and starless night,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]A lone fire alarm warns of trouble in sight.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]The firefighter wakes in a hurry,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]Donning their gear in a flash and a flurry.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]On board the engines they’re ready to go,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]To face a danger only they can know.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]Racing down the street and outta sight,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]The engine with its siren and flashing light.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]On scene there is confusion,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]But the fire chief has the solution.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]There are flames to the left and to the right,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]Residents are trapped and possessed with fright.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]Heavy smoke billows aloft,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]As a mother and child look distraught,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]So many people to save from harm,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]The chief sounds an additional alarm.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]When the engine stops the men go to work,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]Pulling the hose with a heave and a jerk.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]The truck crew raises ladders in haste,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]And save some victims from a deadly fate.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]The engines are humming with water flowing,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]Soon the fire stops from growing.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]Firefighters search the building inside,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]Hoping to find someone alive. [/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]EMS will rush victims to emergency,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]While the firefighters fight with a sense of urgency.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]Finally the fire dwindles out,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]There’s a sense of calmness with no need to shout.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]The men pack their hose and their gear,[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]As the dawn of a new day draws very near.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]With the danger subsided the firefighters leave, [/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]And prepare to help someone else in need. [/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER][/CENTER]
      [COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Times New Roman]David Shafto[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 11:27 am

That is just AWESOME Capt Dave!!! keep up the Great Work!!:)

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2007 at 2:24 pm

Congratulations Dave. Your words are very thought provoking and inspiring.

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2007 at 2:31 pm

really very good:)

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2007 at 3:00 pm

Cap Dave , did you re-marry and move to SC. ? I remember talking to you a very long time ago and you were really having a bad time in the nurseing home and all. I don’t come here much anymore, because mainly I just don’t feel like it. I have severe weakness and also have a hard time controlling the pain. Good to hear from you anyway. Some good people on this site.
      Later all,
      Drummer