Physics Question.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 1:12 pm

—————————

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 1:21 pm

Hi,

How long have you been in the music biz? I thought every bass player new this one. Lower tones produce stronger vibrations threw the air, and they travel farther then higher tones. A human can’t hear an elefants low tones they admit, but can be heard by another miles upon miles away. The pics in your room staying straight, are because you straighten them to throw the wife off. ๐Ÿ˜€ Or, your bass cabinit doesn’t face any pics in your room.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 1:40 pm

I play by ear, I never had any kind of training…I was not even in the school band, cause they didn’t have a guitar.. hehe .. Not in the music business. Playin bass is just something I was able to pick up, while stranded in the Army. I really enjoy it. I love the vibration that it puts thru your body. Everything viberates. Maybe it will fill this bod with enough good vibes, this cidp nightmare will just be another story for soapy to tell one of these days. Thanks for the info. Your right, the cab does not face any pictures in the bedroom.. They are doing construction not too far from here… Honey, I think I heard em using dynamite! yeah! thats the ticket.. I went ahead and straightned the pics up in here..Your welcome , I luv u too…

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 1:47 pm

I play by ear, I never had any kind of training…I was not even in the school band, cause they didn’t have a guitar.. hehe .. Not in the music business. Playin bass is just something I was able to pick up, while stranded in the Army. I really enjoy it. I love the vibration that it puts thru your body. Everything viberates. Maybe it will fill this bod with enough good vibes, this cidp nightmare will just be another story for soapy to tell one of these days. Thanks for the info. Your right, the cab does not face any pictures in the bedroom.. They are doing construction not too far from here… Honey, I think I heard em using dynamite! yeah! thats the ticket.. I went ahead and straightned the pics up in here..Your welcome , I luv u too…

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 2:04 pm

Hey,

I started as a sound man. Believe me, what sounds good to a bass player with other players on a stage, is a tottal different story when standing 100 feet plus back from the stage. Especially when dealing with a lead guitar player who thinks more is better, and the rest have to keep up. Now we have a guitar too loud for the room, and a bass that’s too loud 3 buildings over. ๐Ÿ˜€ Ahh, the good ol days.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 2:09 pm

I reckon its like that with most guitard players… Do you think its personality, that drives wat a musician chooses as his “calling” Maybe they never got enough attention as a child? hehe
      peace..

BTW I saw Prince on HBO not too long ago. If I remember correctly, he played guitar, drums and keyboards. People like that amaze me. I would think someone like that could play bass easy… I didn’t see him do it tho.. Maybe its not enough of a challange? *plays drum with an ink pen*
      have a good weekend friend..

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 3:58 pm

Hey agin,

I’ve amazed people how I can pick musicians out of a crowd, and in most cases I also get right what instrument they play. Drummers are the easiest. Musicians are a breed apart from the rest of us not so good players. Take the 1st(E) and second (B) stings off your 6 string guitar, and what do you have? A bass guitar in a higher octave. I had lessons as a young kid on guitar, then picked up everything the rest of the way just hanging around better players, and by ear, just through sheer exposuse for so long. Musicians aren’t the most punctual people on earth, so to get practices going on time, I’d sit in on bass, drums, rythum guitar to fill the hole while we waited. My first concert I ever went to, was the Beatles in 66ish. Two nights later, they played their last concert in San Fran. That’s what started it for me, like so many others. I also attened Jimmy Hendrix’s funeral. He was buried a mile from where I grew up. Just walked down and joined the crowd.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 4:51 pm

Cool Racer13,
      Nice. I like those kind of stories.. Check This.. My neighbor, a real woman music buff, knows more music history and stuff like that.. She came by to ask for help on selling some stuff on Ebay. She has a ticket to Lynrd Skynrd that was never used, because the plane crashed on the way there. She is going to put it on E bay soon… I was like, let me see it………… I think that was 1977, cause I can remember war I was at, and what I was doing when I heard that…
      Pretty wild huh?

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 5:52 pm

that would be an auction i would enjoy watching, soapy. i’m not musical-tone deaf-told so by my hubby, but my husband is a drummer, plays the bass guitar, keyboard, and trumpet, by ear. really talented i think. my daughter likes to play the drums, keyboard, organ and recorder, most by ear also. we will be setting up the drumset soon, so my son can play them also. he plays on everything, just like his dad.:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 5:59 pm

———–

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 6:17 pm

Soapy,

Just curious, 4 or 5 string bass?

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 7:10 pm

*bows* grettings princess ali. It is a four string fretless. I almost bought a 5 string, but after watching Jack Bruce (cream) play with a 4 , I couln’t bring myself to do it, 1. never have. 2. might not like it.. ya know… It was new one, lots of $ for me, and I can pluck a 4..hehe I got my fretted 4 string out yesterday, for a freind, which I hadn’t played in years… I doubt I will ever play it much again. ( too heavy also) It felt awkard.. the frets felt like they were in the way, after playin that fretless. the fretless feels good, like it was custom made for me. My old pickin buddy told me I was playin better than he ever heard me, ๐Ÿ˜€ While I have been practicing, I believe most of it is the new setup..
      have a good weekend princess..

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 7:12 pm

Marc is it? I was just wondering if you ever met Rick Tuner or any of the small shop guitar/bass luthiers out there in Cali?

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 8:01 pm

Hi,

No, I haven’t met them. We have plenty of world class luthiers right up here in Washington. Mike Lull hot-rodded my strat for me though. He’s a local who did Pearl Jam’s guitars and a bunch of other big time groups. When bands come to town and have guitar trouble, they call this guy. Like Justin Hayword’s red Gibson from the Moody Blues and so on. I had another guy, who owns the patent on this, rewire my strat, so when I turn a knob to 10, it sounds like a Les Paul Hummbucking setup. More balls.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 10:01 pm

Kevin,

My hubby used to only play a four string, but he decided to take the plunge with a 5 string. Borrowed someones for a while, and its safe to say that it did take him a while to be comfortable with it, but now he says he wont turn back. Well, maybe he said that because a few years ago I spent quite a bundle on buying a 5 string for him, which is the only bass he now plays.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 10:52 pm

Princess,
      Is his 5 fretted or no? what kind did the king get?

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2006 at 9:57 am

This is a very interesting post for me because when I was coming down with GBS and had the major tingling going on in my hands and feet, the only thing that soothed me was going out to a club with a live band and putting my body on the amps. It really was the only thing that helped. Of course at this time I had no idea what was happening to me until after about a week of this I really started to bottom and loose strength and major nerve pain, etc., etc. It had to do with the frequency/vibration – Marc, I’m sure you could explain that to me?!?!

This just really freaks me out remembering almost 10 years ago.

Oh, and I always seem to try hitting on guys that end of being a drummer. Well, I should say I used to – I’m a bit older now, drag. I have always been a lover of musicians – maybe someday ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2006 at 11:18 am

Hi Chrissy,

After many years in the 70’s playing in clubs and every other assorted kind of dives, having a woman lay on amps is nothing new to me. Not one mentioned relief of the tingling feelings. Well, at least not until we got back to the motel.

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2006 at 11:41 am

yin is to yang like,
      heee is to haw..
      He Haw!
      Good action! u guys kill me.. lol

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2006 at 4:04 pm

Marc – I was looking for a REAL explanation of the frequency thing that related to the onset of GBS. But I did deserve your response. You all should know me by now… open mouth insert foot. I can be a real hoot to listen to with a few beers in me. :p

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2006 at 8:59 pm

Kevin,

Yes, his is fretted. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2006 at 10:00 pm

It’s really neat to see how many musicians we have on this forum, whose lives were affected by GBS. Ben plays the guitar and piano, mostly by ear, but can read music if he needs it (which he never does). He is really talented. One of the positive things this illness has provided is that it’s given him more time to play the music he loves. He hadn’t written a song in years, and now, within the last month, he’s written six or seven. He’s currently working on one about me because I bought him a new guitar last weekend. I’m really envious of anyone who can play. I love playing the piano, and I can play a song well when I know it, but my ear isn’t very developed. Ben can spot a wrong note a mile away and will tell me to re-read my music because I’m a half-step off. I wish I could be like that! Oh well, at least I get the free lessons!

Shan

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2006 at 12:49 am

Hi shan,

My guitar was my personal phyciatrist for 40 years. Sit down, decide what mood I want to be in, or get out of, and play. Writing was a way to keep things from building up inside. Came to a halt overnight 7 years ago. Going from a little finger that could stretch 5 frets and do little trills to not being able to even get the strings depressed now, is a bit disappointing. I always lived my passions, and only considered my working carreer as a way to pay for it. I never put things off and never said I’ll do that later in life when more time is there. When I had my first Christmas at home after 10 months, still fully quad, my daughter bought me a baby Taylor for inspiration to get better. A new guitar, although I had two very expensive ones already, always gives a player new spark. Keep playing and have fun.