Pain mgmt dr and leg shock therapy

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 8:09 am

Hello gang.

I went to my pain mgmt dr yesterday. I have to say, I love this guy. He is very smart, takes his time with me and he’s one that you can tell is truly in it for the patient. I have physical therapy in this office too, so I am there quite a bit. I have asked other staff what they think of him and they all love him. My PT told me that he sees patients even when he knows they have no money or insurance. He’s the kind that wants to help everyone.

Anyway…so, yesterday he did his usual on me…the grip test, arm extension, etc. Then he looked at my legs and was worried about the one I bruised the other night. The bruise on it is absolutely huge and the whole leg is swollen.
      He measured it and told me it was hot where it’s bruised. I cant feel it b/c I cant feel my shins nor my fingertips so hot and cold…what’s that ? :confused:

He asked me if I wear any braces. I told him that I have an AFO but I dont wear it. His assistant asked me why. I could have cried. WHY ? B/c I’m not ready yet…b/c I dont want to ? B/c somehow the shoe that it was made to go in no longer fits it and I cant find one that’s comfortable and fits. There’s plenty of reasons. Mostly…vanity and denial. I’ll be the first to admit it. I hate being put on the spot like that.
      I told him I have just now started using the cane regularly even tho I needed to long ago.

The DR is also a physiatrist and explained to me that he could make me one…well, two…need both…that are a bit more flexible. I tuned some of it out b/c that’s how I am. I still ride the denial boat when it comes to these aides. He told me, “sweety, dont you realize how much better you will walk?”
      He was compassionate and could tell I wasnt taking to it that well.

I will try the braces. I guess with the new year coming that can be my resolution…give up the vanity ?

He also was very concerned about my foot drop and hand strength. I can lift my left foot a whopping 9 degrees and the right 15. He mentioned the electric shock stuff with physical therapy that has been mentioned in another thread. I start that on Monday.

One last thing he wants me to research is Glutathione. I just looked briefly at this thruough google…if anyone knows anything about it, please let me know. He said they use it with cancer patients and HIV patients but was pretty uncertain of use with CIDP. He said he really wants to help me and said, “you are the real deal, young lady…I want to get you better”.
      I think he sees a few folks that fake stuff for pain meds, maybe…I dunno.

I have confidence in him…I’m willing to try whatever he suggests. Like I mentioned before, he was the FIRST doctor in I dont know how many I’ve seen…including other pain mgmt docs…and besides a neuro, that knew about CIDP.

I left there positive. Now I need to make an appt with the old neuro to get back on the aggressive train. I just worry about my insurance …it’s a 2million cap lifetime.

My meds…1 med for 30 days is almost 600 bucks. I dont pay that much but that’s what the ins gets billed.

I do hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving !

Stacey

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2008 at 6:50 am

Hi Stacey! Well this guy seems to be a very caring person and might actually help you out in getting your strength built back up. You are like me! I am supposed to wear a back brace for at least 6 more months and I hate wearing it. Plus after my surgery they gave me a walker and I hate using that too. Then they gave me a cane. I do use that but hate having too! So I know how you feel there. It is very easy to get into denial! I too have also seen myself in denial not wanting to face what is in front of me.
      All I want is to be healthy and free of illness! And I am pretty sure we all in here feel the same way.
      Wishing you alot of good luck for 2009! Will pray that you get alot better and that you no longer have to see those AFO’s!
      Happy Thanksgiving my friend! Eat Drink and Be Merry!
      Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2008 at 6:55 am

Stacey,

I’m so happy you are finally on the right path. I understand the vanity issue with the appliances, while I think you need to take your time working yourself up to wearing them maybe you could start with some positive affirmations. Think of all the things you will be able to do, or do better, when you wear them. A couple of weeks of inserting positive affirmations when you start thinking how ugly and obvious they are and you will find your thinking is starting to come around. It’s not hard to change your thinking, you just have to want to – that’s the hard part. I think it’s terrific things are coming together for you, really gives you something to be thankful for tomorrow doesn’t it?

Julie

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2008 at 7:39 am

Hi Stacey,

So glad you found someone who is on your side, willing to help you, that is important no matter what the specialty. He is going to help you.

We all know about how not being totally normal makes us feel. Us men have lots to swallow there too. Keep positive and don’t worry about the insurance.

These companies switch group insurance plans every couple of years. Mine Just Changed for 09, was unlimited, now 1 mil max. They all trim it back to keep there precious costs down. anyway, it’ll work out. we are all in the same boat. Lets see what our new President Elect Does for Us. Big issues with HC and pre-existing conditions that need worked out. C ya!

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2008 at 8:08 am

While so many other things are going wrong, yes, things coming together for me with the CIDP, let’s hope anyway, is indeed, something to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving all. 🙂

Stacey