Overnight hearing loss … hasn’t come back

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 12:29 am

I woke up this morning and had lost 60 to 85% of the hearing capability in my left ear. By the end of the day, I am still quite hearing impaired. The loss is complete in the low tones, and bad in the hjigh sounds. The mid-range is tinny and subdued. I have, for the past 10 years or so, suffered with high pitch ringing in the ears, but this is a slammer.

Usually for me, an increase in the ringing in my ears is a precursor to a more active CIDP period. Losing my hearing so severely leaves me at a loss. More than a hearing loss !!

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I am going to start looking into the nerves of the ear and their myelination. I thought CIDP was more peripheral( feet and hands), and that it was infrequent, or rare, that it affected other areas.

I would appreciate any input or advice….

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 7:03 am

Dick, the most likely cause is wax in the ear canal. The auditory nerve is the 8th cranial nerve and most unlikely to be involved in demyelinating neuropathy. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 11:32 am

I used a syringe to flush my ears because of hearing loss and was shocked at the 30yrs of baggage that qtips didnt touch. I couldnt believe how much I was missing due to the longterm blockage.

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 1:07 pm

Hi Dick,

Hearing loss could also be from taking pain killers for long periods of time.I
      don’t know if you take any pain killers. Look your meds up online and search for side affects such as hearing loss. There could be any number of reasons.
      This happened to me( mild hearing loss) when I was on percocet for over a year for my spinal stenosis, once I didn’t need the meds anymore my hearing returned and the ringing in my ears stopped.

Search all venues for your problem, it could be a simple one or something more serious.

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 5:23 pm

Hi Dick,
      I also have a hearing loss and ringing in the ears. However mine is from things that went bang in the night. The dramatic loss you described could also be caused by a middle ear problem. You might want to get it checked out. A bone conductivity test show if there is a problem with the middle ear bones.

• Anonymous
      February 18, 2007 at 6:50 am

Thank you all for replying.

This is still a mystery. It has gone away this morning. No explanation, no reason.

Since the ringing has gotten worse (8 years), I have been quite conscious about keeping my ears flushed and clean. I don’t think a wax problem.

David, I checked about the nerve, it is not meyelinated is it?

The ringinf still persists, maybe a touch louder than normal, or maybe I am just quite sensitive to it right now.

I hope it doesn’t re-occur.

Thanks again

• Anonymous
      February 18, 2007 at 11:58 pm

Dick, maybe you just needed to hear the ROAR of engines again!!:D glad to see your doing better.:)

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2007 at 11:58 pm

Absolutely !!! Everything came back just in time for all the Daytona races. The duels I heard “half”, but the rest was pretty good.

Thanks for caring