over reaction: I think I have a cold causes trip to ER

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2010 at 9:24 am

First of all, I am recovering from slow onset GBS and doing well after 8 months. I am back to work full time with some numbness and fatigue. Yesterday I needed to leave work due to light headedness, clamy hands, fatigue and misfires. I contacted my GP and his offices said to get to ER right away. Went to ER and spent 7 hours laying on a bed with blood test, chest xray and observation. My heart appears fine but they still scheduled me for a stress test next week. Here’s the point, I think I might have a head cold which is kicking in some past symtoms along with the light headed feeling. I haven’t had any illnesses since onset of GBS. Is the medical communty overreacting. Anyone with pass experience with the common cold
      Harryb

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2010 at 11:01 am

A plain old cold & sore throat is what “triggered” my GBS both times!
      Perhaps if I had gone to the emergency room it would have been averted? Who knows? No, you did not over react. You followed common sense (or your Dr. did). We are now living under a “new” set of rules.

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Harry,
      I wonder if getting the stress test next week is a smart move….IF you are suffering from a cold. Years ago I felt so tired that when I finally went to my doctor, he said I had Walking Pneumonia!! I said, “Thank goodness..I thought it was all in my head/psychological!” Since I take high doses of vitamin C, it keeps the symptoms away. What’s bad, is that you do not stay home and rest like you would if you knew you had a bad cold. So when I actually get symptoms, I know it is something BIG!!!
      With your symptoms of clammy hands, it is good that you eliminated heart problems. CoQ10 is a miracle supplement for the heart and the rest of the body. But you have to take enough….and most of the products you see in the pharmacies are not readily absorbed. So with 100mg..you might be absorbing only 30-50mg. Dr. Steven Sinatra is a leading cardiologist who has some fantastic books. I started taking CoQ10 and it helped my gums, so a loose molar is much improved….80%. They do not have it with the pharmaceuticals at CVS..instead when your doctor gives you a prescription for it, you buy it off the shelves and it is picked up by your insurance.
      Good luck with your cold…we GBSers have to be on top of things….

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2010 at 4:06 pm

My Neuro told me today when he put me on Cellcept that I am to go to the ER immediately if I get any kind of fever, cold, cough anything out of the ordinary to not take the risk and just go to the ER

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2010 at 7:08 pm

[QUOTE=jasonscamera]My Neuro told me today when he put me on Cellcept that I am to go to the ER immediately if I get any kind of fever, cold, cough anything out of the ordinary to not take the risk and just go to the ER[/QUOTE]

I hope you have very good insurance because Cellcept is an absurdly expensive medication ($800-900 per month for generic, depending on dosage).

I’ve been on it for almost 7 months now. According to my doc, it takes 6 months to “fully kick in.”