On my 1 year "Anniversary"

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2008 at 9:33 pm

I will be in Turks and Caicos in the Caribbean!!! January 14th will mark a year since I first went in the hospital and took this awful journey. Never would i have thought that a year later, I would be vacationing with my husband.

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Good for you Carolyn. Never let this get you down. Always strive for more.

Have fun

• November 16, 2008 at 2:59 am

Yes this is wonderful to hear and keep up good work, and remeber Rom was not built in one day 🙂
      xoxoxoxoo
      Helga

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Outstanding Carolyn! And for a change the feeling of sand between your toes WILL REALLY BE SAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Have a Dark and Stormy for us while you are down there……

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Alright Carolyn! I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing time. You deserve it!

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Oh my goodness… how exciting and what a wonderful way to re-create memories of January 14th! And a side note- how ironic- January 14th (2008) was also the date my son was admitted to the hospital with GBS???

Relax and enjoy your well deserved holiday!:cool:

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2008 at 3:27 pm

I’m so jealous.

You will have a fabulous time. Take lots of pictures…I went to the caribbean three times before being diagnosed. I was able to parasail over the ocean…it was absolutely beautiful.

what an awesome way to spend your anniversary…looking at how far you’ve come !

enjoy !!!!
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Kimbo: How is your son doing now? How old is he?

Thank you so much everyone! While i am not 100% better, Im still psyched to be going!!!!!!

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Way to Carolyn! Hope you have a wonderful vacation and enjoy every minute of it! It’s nice to see good things starting to happen for many of us! We need that strength from others like you to give us hope! Have alot of fun on that vacation! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2008 at 12:20 am

What a great way to spend your anniversary. Congrats on your recovery! 😀

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2008 at 5:03 am

[QUOTE=crlyn324]Kimbo: How is your son doing now? How old is he?

Thank you so much everyone! While i am not 100% better, Im still psyched to be going!!!!!![/QUOTE]
      Hi Crlyn324,

I bet by the time you go on your trip you will be right up there at 100% both mentally and physically! Great way to reward yourself for getting thru this. Have a great time… Deanop

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Thanks for asking about my son.

He was 18 when he got sick and celebrated his 19th birthday in October. He also had a very aggressive case of GBS. He was paralyzed from the shoulders down and had to have the ventilator and was eventually given a tracheostomy as well as a gastronomy. He coded three days after hospitalization…. this is a particularly difficult memory for his Dad and I. He spent 5 1/2 weeks in the PICU and transferred to a rehab in late February. He was able to speak again with a passy muir valve at four weeks. He first moved his hands at seven weeks and began lifting his arms in mid March. The road was very long and painful. He used the standing frame and eventually took his first steps with a piece of equipment to make him weightless on April 9th. From there, he worked so hard and was discharged from Rehab on May 1st. He told everyone he was going to walk out of the hospital and he did- using leg braces and a cane. He graduated with his class on June 7th- no cane! There wasn’t a dry eye in our family! He stopped using the leg braces in June and worked with outpatient OT and PT through the end of June. It has taken awhile for him to get his energy and strength back but he’s so stubborn he won’t admit this….:rolleyes:

Currently, he is a fulltime student at our local community college and is working part time. He has little or no physical signs now of what he’s been through except his trach scar. It truely is a miracle how far he’s come.

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 8:12 am

That sounds Great Carolyn!! Keep Up Your Positive Attitude and You’ll have one heck of an Anniversary celebration!!! Don’t forget to take lots of pics and have others take lots of pics of You enjoying yourself!!!:D

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 9:44 am

[QUOTE=Kimbo]Thanks for asking about my son.

He was 18 when he got sick and celebrated his 19th birthday in October. He also had a very aggressive case of GBS. He was paralyzed from the shoulders down and had to have the ventilator and was eventually given a tracheostomy as well as a gastronomy. He coded three days after hospitalization…. this is a particularly difficult memory for his Dad and I. He spent 5 1/2 weeks in the PICU and transferred to a rehab in late February. He was able to speak again with a passy muir valve at four weeks. He first moved his hands at seven weeks and began lifting his arms in mid March. The road was very long and painful. He used the standing frame and eventually took his first steps with a piece of equipment to make him weightless on April 9th. From there, he worked so hard and was discharged from Rehab on May 1st. He told everyone he was going to walk out of the hospital and he did- using leg braces and a cane. He graduated with his class on June 7th- no cane! There wasn’t a dry eye in our family! He stopped using the leg braces in June and worked with outpatient OT and PT through the end of June. It has taken awhile for him to get his energy and strength back but he’s so stubborn he won’t admit this….:rolleyes:

Currently, he is a fulltime student at our local community college and is working part time. He has little or no physical signs now of what he’s been through except his trach scar. It truely is a miracle how far he’s come.[/QUOTE]

That is great!! I saw my family suffer right along with me when i was sick too. Has his trach scar faded at all? Mine is still as noticeable as it was in the hospital.

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2008 at 1:39 pm

He thinks it looks just as bad as it did initially but he couldn’t see himself very well in the mirror back then. I think it looks a little better. The scar is not too large- maybe the size of a nickle, but it’s indented like a little “belly button.” He jokes that it looks like a gunshot scar! I think that if it doesn’t begin to show more improvement we’ll talk to a plastic surgeon. His doctor has encouraged him to give it more time and assured him a plastic surgeon could help if it doesn’t get better.