Oh no, a power chair? Not me!

• Anonymous
      December 6, 2007 at 6:58 pm

During my last visit my neurologist said she wanted me to get a power chair. Watching me with my rollator she felt that this was no longer safe for me. I have to admit that my symptoms have been getting worse over the past few months. My argument that I’ve been getting Rituxan and my situation might be getting better within the next few months did not convince anybody, especially not Carol. She feels frustrated that we can no longer do anything together. Okay so I’ve finally agreed to look at them. It does seem easy to maneuver around with them.

Because of new Medicare regulations I had to see a doctor at a rehab clinic this morning. after examining me she said that I definitely should have a power chair. I threw up my hands and gave up.

Looks like I’m going to join the ranks off all you power chair captains. I think I could use some words of encouragement.

• Anonymous
      December 6, 2007 at 7:35 pm

Hopefully the use of a Power Chair will give you more freedom to do and go more places.
      Hard to imagine ones self in a Power Chair. Just one more thing taken away.
      I maybe looking at a wheelchair.
      But, find that when I think of the alternate of having to stay HOME or use something, I’ll take the something.
      Pray that God will give you the strenght to carry on and you can teach us what works best in a Power Chair.
      I haven’t been on the forum long, but you have been an inspiration

• Anonymous
      December 6, 2007 at 7:39 pm

Norb enjoy the wheelchair. You will be able to do more stuff without getting so tired. You will be able to get around so much better and think of Carol. That will be a weight off her shoulders. Wondering if you will get hurt getting around with your rollator. She will be more relax and you will be less tired.

It is the best thing for you.

Good luck on choosing the right one for you.

Sue

• Anonymous
      December 6, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Norb,
      Do what you have to do to be safe. I don’t know if you ever watch the “Dr Phil” show, but he has a producer with a brain tumor, and just upgraded and “pimped out” her power chair (scooter) to make her life better.

None of us want to admit our disabilities — I still won’t use the 4-leg cane my husband bought me — but I do use the parking tag and hand on to him or my son for dear life when on uneven ground.

When I was youger, we had a saying … “vanity kills” … really didnt’ think it applied to situations like this but it does. Please do what you have to and be safe. we don’t want to lose you … I’ve lost enough this past few weeks!!! 🙁

Please take care .. we need you here ,;)

Caryn

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2007 at 12:01 am

OKAY, HEY NORB, I’VE BEEN USING A WHEELCHAIR SINCE 1999. I LOOK AT IT AS A BLESSING! WHERE WOULD I BE WITHOUT ONE (on the floor)! IT MAKES ME MORE MOBILE AND IT PREVENTS THE FALLS FROM HAPPENING. YOU CAN DECORATE IT AT HOLIDAY TIMES. I USE A MANUAL WHEELCHAIR ONLY BECAUSE I HAVE NO-ONE WHO WILL TRANSPORT ME OR NO WAY TO BE TRANSPORTED IN A POWER CHAIR.

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2007 at 9:24 am

Hey Norb. I understand how you feel. Like Caryn said, “vanity kills”. I fought with everyone about using a wheelchair. I was embarassed. I didn’t want to be a burden. My daughter has been in a wheelchair since she was 5 yrs old. I know how hard it is to transport, etc. but I never felt embarassed to be out with her. (she is 21 now and still in a power chair) It made our lives easier. So now I am using a chair and it is no different. It is just another pc of equipment to make life easier. [U]It does not define who I am.[/U] When it came down to it, if I wanted to go out I had no choice. I got tired of missing out on things! Put your pride aside and think of the advantages. Good luck.

Brenda

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2007 at 4:08 pm

Captain Norb, that has a nice ring to it!:D Like Liz said Norb, now you can decorate it, like I decorate my wheelchair!!!;) Just think, since its a power chair, you can get some really cool lights and things for it!!!:cool: and don’t forget to put a bumpersticker or 2 on the back!! might I suggest-if you don’t like my driving, stay off the sidewalk!:D
      You will save all that energy just so you can go out and use it on Carol! She won’t be able to keep up with you. I know how thick that German Pride is, it’s in my veins also, but you know everyone is only looking out for your welfare, especially your Sweet Wife! and you know how much fun Sydney will have riding around on Captain Opa Norb’s lap!!!
      I’m Proud Of You Norb!!! Big Hugs!!

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2007 at 9:06 am

Congratulations, Captain! Now you can get out there and experience more fun with your wife and family. I can just picture Sydney 🙂 Will you wear your “ears” ?? 😉

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2007 at 11:11 am

Wow, thanks for all the encouragement. I wonder if there is a snow plow attachment. We just had the first snow. — I am afraid the ears fell off shortly after I’ve finished treatment. Decorations have to wait until my hands get better. As it stands now I cannot even write good X X instead of a signature. Carol has power of attorney and has to do it for me.

If it was pride at all, I think I got over that earlier this year when I had to use a wheelchair for six weeks because of my fractured knee. I also started using electric chairs long time ago at Sam’s or grocery stores. I think it is denial, not wanting to face the fact that eventually I would become disabled enough to need a wheelchair.

I would have preferred a manual wheelchair but I always have to look at my hands when I want to grab something. If I don’t look the last two fingers may end up bent and only the first three will be around the wheel. In addition to the sensory nerves there also appears to be damage to the proprioceptor nerves or whatever they’re called. They are the ones that tell me where my hands are.

Anyhow, thanks again. It is so great to have people like you around.

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2007 at 11:56 am

Norb, I posted once before to you about fun in a power chair. I had a manual and when my legs didnt improve I ordered me a birthday present about a year and a half ago. I love it, can go everywhere now. It does take time to get in tight spaces, but soon it just comes natural. Of course, this was after I destroyed alot of wood work and sheet rock. (ooops)
      Larry found some ATV ramps at a local Bomgaars store for only $69, they work just fine for loading into a vehicle. We are all ice here, I went out yesterday and was terrified when transferring to vehicle. We are expecting 10 inchs of snow today, hey it Christmas time!! I have to find a Twins and a Husker sticker to decorate mine before I head to Mayo’s. THink I will have fun in the tunnels. I got a Pride Jazzy 600 and is good out in the yard, etc. I do suggest a chair instead of a skooter. Have fun and feel better. Regina

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2007 at 4:27 pm

Regina, how to get it into our car is still an open issue. We have an SUV with plenty of loading space. How to attach a ramp is not clear to us. The Mobility store where we will buy the power chair has one for sale for about $6-$700. The ATV ramp you mentioned is a lot cheaper and we have to look into that. What kind of car do you have and how is your ramp attached?

Actually, I’m not worried about maneuvering. I tried out several at two different stores and I was doing fine with them. Our SIL built a long wooden ramp in our garage earlier this year when I had to use a wheelchair. So it should be easy to get into the house.

It’s been snowing here all day. Fortunately we don’t have to go anywhere. Take care.

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2007 at 11:52 pm

Norb,
      I have had a Jazzy 1113 since July of 2002 & I just love it. For the first 2 1/2 years I had to use it all of the time & since the summer of 2004 when I began to walk again I use it mostly in the house & around the yard. Make sure to get the better suspension package for outdoors so that you can climb hills, small curbs, etc. It is about $800 more, but have your doctor write a rx stating that it is needed.

Now about transporting them, back in 2003 we were told that the only lift we could get would be for a minivan (for the necessary clearance.) We were so fortunate that a classmate of mine, who had just lost his father, talked his mother into donating her minivan with a lift to us. I haven’t had to use the lift but a few times in the past 3 years, but it is nice to know we have it just in case. If I know we are going out to a store that requires a lot of walking, I will limit my walking in the home until we leave. Then I can walk around Target or the grocery store.

Vanity? Perhaps. It never bothered me to be out in a powerchair when I knew I couldn’t walk at all, but now that I can, I refuse to go in the chair. We live in a small town of 7,000 & always run into so many people we know. I used to be a high school teacher here as well, & run into so many ex-students as well as friends of my 3 children. Many know all that I have been through (my youngest writes for the local newspaper) & I guess people are so happy to see me walking. Anyways, it is great in the house, especially in the morning when I am less sure about my balance. Good luck!

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2007 at 5:55 pm

Hi Norb, We have a Dodge truck. I just stand and get up in the seat. Larry takes the chair to back. The ramps have a strap and a hook, he just attaches it to the tail gate and he powers it up. I have an outdoor chair cover to put over it. You may have something in you SUV they could hook on to. I loved the price after shopping on line. We have some smaller ramps I got on line, and they were $170 or so, and we can run the chair into the back of our Van. I didnt want to invest alot of money into a lift van, cause I still hope to walk someday. Most places are nice and let you try them. Good luck and get out there and look like you’re you gonna run people down if they get in your way:D Larry wants to put a long pole with a red flag so he can find me when I take off in a store—no way. Happy shopping Regina

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2007 at 6:34 pm

this all, as I just don’t want to be caught up short when the time comes?

What I suggest is webbing up, ‘wheelchair lifts’ and see what all is out there. Do not let the costs intimidate you! Take a good look at what is out there, then do a google or something and I’d bet you’d find something suitable used.

For me the more disconcerting aspects of being in a wheelie, are the DOORS? I don’t know about you, but my house was not built to ‘accomodate’! The thought of planning and having construction done before I need it gives me the willies? But better before than after, when it’s truly needed and, well, I don’t know about you…but telling the ‘remodel’ workers to ‘clear out’ while one needs to use the facilities… is too much to take!

It’s all insult to injury to me in so many aspects. ON the other hand, being able to get around without injury or broken things is sure a better choice than others.

I just hope you get a ‘super-charged’ model? One that goes better than two miles per hour….I do know your mind is far faster than that! What’s it they say at race tracks? GO BABY GO! I expect nothing less from you.

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Norb, I was that way for a while about not using a wheelchair but don’t fight it. Work on PT and work on the strength part of it and soon you will be back to the rollator. This takes TIME to get over and don’t rush it. Sometimes some of us make a great recovery and some make a small recovery. I think it is the determination of the person. I am in this crohnic problem of getting better then a relapse where I can’t lift a 13 ounce bird. Just don’t give up!

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2007 at 12:07 pm

Getting a power chair is still about a week or two away. The doctor’s evaluation takes two weeks and after that there has to be a home inspection. All this because of new Medicare regulations that went into effect this year. Fortunately, when we built the house in 2002 we already made sure that the doors were wide enough because we both were getting up in age. Little did I know then that five years later I would be in this position I am in now.

Since we don’t have a truck like you, Regina, we have to find another way to attach a ramp. I don’t want to order it on the Internet because we need to see it first. So we probably are going to wait until we go back to the store.

And John, I’m pretty determined and don’t give up that easily.:D

Thank you all for the feedback.

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2007 at 6:05 pm

I haven’t been in here for a while, so I read this thread just now. Kapitän Norbert Hoffman – you should be proud of you new “promotion”:D !

Now you will have the opportunity to be happy twice: first when you have got the vhiecle and you see how much easier a lot of things become – that one is for sure – and second, when\if the day comes when you no longer need it!

I often think about all the other sufferers of nerve diseases, who came before us, or are not as “fortunate” as we are, who had no internet, no Dragon Dictate, no cars, no wheel-chairs (man or machine powered) and last but not at least the medication that might help us get better or make our symptoms easier to cope with, more or less. (Who said that Polly-Anna was fiction;) )

Oh, yes – I almost forgot – I clearly picture you in a red metallic power-chair!

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Allaug, you’re right I probably would pick the red one if they have it available.

Yes, we are very fortunate to live in a time when science and technology have made tremendous advances offering us more choices than just a few decades ago. 50 years ago nobody probably would have thought of creating an artificial antibody from hamster and human. Power chairs just didn’t exist yet. I’m confident that this is not the end for development. One of these days they will find a cure for us.

• December 12, 2007 at 6:54 pm

Hey Norb,
      Maybe you could put some chains on it and go snowmobiling!!!!!
      Dawn Kevies mom:o

• Anonymous
      December 13, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Norb.
      I have harmyer power lift that has a ramp that comes out of the back of the van and then lowers. you then drive the chair on it and if you are able to walk a little you get off of it and run it up and back into you car. really works great.
      If you want to know where to get more info contact me at
      [email]larthur@valornet.com[/email] and give me a phone number and I will call you.
      Larry
      PS I DONOT SELL THESE I JUST US ONE.

• Anonymous
      December 14, 2007 at 11:19 am

[QUOTE=Dawn Kevies mom]Hey Norb,
      Maybe you could put some chains on it and go snowmobiling!!!!!
      Dawn Kevies mom:o[/QUOTE]
      There’s a thought. At 5 miles an hour it would be pretty safe. I probably would make the news 😀