OFF Topic/ Question on veins in hands

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Hi I have a question this is Off Topic but thought I ask.
      I always had one vein on top of my left hand that really was noticable and sticking up when my hand is open. Recently I notice a lot more of this on both hands. The veins are very noticable. Sometimes they aren’t sticking up.

My family DR told me I have Raynaud’s and I know that I might of had Hypothyroidism last year because the blood test showed a problem then a few months later it was normal except for my antibodies #. So does anybody know what it may mean? Especially since my hands bother me a lot more it makes me wonder.

I go see my Neurologist on Wednesday will ask her but wanted input from other people so I know what questions to ask her.
      Also sometimes I get twitches in my right hand.

Thanks
      Sue

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2007 at 9:03 pm

I don’t know about the veins. The only thing that I can think of is as we get older our skin gets thinner so maybe your veins are showing up more.

I know that with CIDP some people do shake or tremble a bit. The last neuro kept asking me if that ever happened to Emily. We were lucky in that it did not.

Let us know what the neuro says about it. And good luck at your appointment.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2007 at 9:41 pm

Sue,
      The veins on the backs of my hands have always been very visible. I am now 33. Was diagnosed with GBS on May 15, 2005. They are not any more visible now than they were pre-GBS. I don’t know if this helps.

Tonya Correll

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2007 at 6:22 am

Thanks everyone 🙂 Will let everyone know what happens at my DR visit tomorrow.

Sue

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2007 at 8:59 am

When I am more tired than usual (ha!) the veins in my left arm become very visable. I use it as a “barometer” of sorts in planning my day ~ usually mostly on the couch 🙁 There are so many “just crazy” residuals! 😮

• March 6, 2007 at 10:45 am

My older son Nick has this and has since birth. They said it is a type of hemangioma. If he puts his hand down and the blood goes to it, it gets bigger. The dr. compares it to cauliflower like in appearence. If he puts his hands up, it gets smaller. Since his is a vascular issue, she said to watch it and if it ever becomes a bigger problem, they would remove that vein and redirect it. Currently it is not a problem other that cosmeticaly. I don’t know if this is what you are describing, hope it helps. Dawn

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2007 at 5:11 pm

Hi Sue – I notice that when I become really symptomatic that the veins in my hands bulge. It’s as if all the liquid in my hands is gone and the veins look HUGE! After IVIG they aren’t so prominent. But think it is also an age thing with the skin getting thinner. And we are very aware of any changes in our bodies, yes? I sometimes think every little thing is a new symptom! But has anyone else experienced itching? My hands and feet itch so bad sometimes it drives me crazy! Guess I need to see a dermatologist, but sure don’t need another medical bill right now! Good luck and good health!

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Thanks everyone. Maybe also due to the fact I have Raynaud’s it maybe that my skin is whiter then usual so it make it more noticable.

Sue

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Sue: I have noticed as I’ve aged that my veins in my hands are more visable. Also, my arms look horrible with veins on the inside and a very mottled look on the outside.

DeeDee: Is this a type of ‘underground’ itching? If so, you might want to do some searches on this site and see what a lot of us have experienced. I find when I get very tired that my ankles and feet really flair up with itching that cannot be resolved. Good luck!

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Thanks Chrissy will ask my family DR for more info.

Sue