October Holidays

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2008 at 10:55 am

October 1st is: [B][U]World Vegetarian Day [/U][/B]

World Vegetarian Day encourages us all to eat our vegetables and fruits. Countless studies have proven that a diet filled with fruits and vegetables is good for our health. Vegetarians, have taken this path either for their health, or from a conviction that they should not eat, and therefore, kill animals.

A vegetarian, by definition, eats no meat. That includes fish and other forms of seafood. Bottom line is, a vegetarian eats no animal. Their diet consists of plants….fruits and vegetables. They are ethically and morally opposed to killing animals for food. They are also against poor treatment of animals at farms ad slaughterhouses.

There are plenty of groups and organizations that support the vegetarian effort. If you are considering becoming a vegetarian, a quick web search, or a look up in your local phone directory should produce a group near you. While you are online, check out the wide range of sites offering vegetarian recipes.

This day is used to promote awareness of the issues, and encourages others to become vegetarians. Seeing as fruits and vegetables are very healthy for you, World Vegetarian Day is a good day to try a vegetarian diet. You might just be surprised at how good it tastes, too.

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2008 at 10:57 am

October 2nd is: [B][U]National Custodial Workers Recognition Day [/U][/B]

National Custodial Workers Day is today. Give your custodial worker a big thanks. At your school, church, place of employment, and a variety of other places, your custodial support are silently at work all year long. They are the workers who clean and keep in good repair, the facility that you enjoy. They seldom get recognition. They are usually in the background or “behind” the scene.

Take a minute on this day, to seek out custodial workers at your facility. Give them a big “TY” for all that they do to keep the facility sparkling and running like a top.

If you are a custodial worker, we wish you a very happy National Custodial Workers Day!

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2008 at 11:00 am

October 3rd is: [B][U]Virus Appreciation Day[/U][/B]

Virus Appreciation Day is today. It gives us the opportunity to show a little respect for nasty viruses.

Respect!? You want to give viruses respect? I should think not. Rather, let’s give them a good dose of penicillin.

Unfortunately, the creators of this day did not identify themselves. Nor, did they leave a record of what kind of viruses we are supposed to appreciate on this day. Human, animal and computer viruses readily come to mind. We sure can appreciate the seriousness and significance of both human and computer viruses. And, we can worry that animal (aka bird flu) viruses may jump over to affect humans.

So, let’s dedicate today to appreciating that viruses can be very serious, if not deadly. Let’s then take measures to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and even our computers. to minimize the risk of serious viruses.

Perhaps Virus Appreciation Day would be better if titled Virus Awareness and Protection Day. That would make much more sense. If, and when, we find the creators of this special day, we will recommend the name change to them.

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2008 at 11:27 am

October 4th is: [B][U]National Golf Day [/U][/B]

National Golf Day is a major charitable event, sponsored annually since 1952 by the PGA.

On National Golf Day, all of the over 4,300 professional members of the PGA are encouraged to play golf with contributors. The entry fees of contributors goes towards a wide range of charitable causes. Each year, a top ranked golfer is made chairman of this event. This is a truely admirable and worthy event. Many golf course hold their own events, with the proceeds going to charities.

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Ohh my goodness! Virus Day! Nope I agree with you on that one. That would be a day I would never celebrate! Thanks for sharing!

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2008 at 5:14 pm

October 5th is: [B][U]World Teacher Day [/U][/B]

Teachers deserve a little recognition, and some thanks and appreciation. Aside from parents and direct family, who else has as much influence on the hearts and minds of a child… your child? Teachers not only educate, but they help to shape and frame your child’s beliefs, values, and behaviors.

Parents and students are encouraged to offer thanks and recognition today. A simple “thanks”, or a card is sufficient.

BTW: An apple a day may keep the doctor away. But, teachers love to get apples.

If you are a teacher [or a retired teacher], Happy World Teacher Day!

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2008 at 11:23 pm

October 6th is: [B][U] National Physician’s Assistant Day[/U][/B]

National Physician’s Assistant Day celebrates and recognizes the importance and skills of this career. The highly trained Physician’s Assistant is an invaluable aide to physicians and general practitioners.

The profession of Physician’s Assistant was created in 1965 by Dr. Eugene Stead at Duke Medical Center. The first physician assistants graduated from Duke University on October 6, 1967. Since then, this job has grown to tens of thousands of people.

If you see your Physician’s Assistant today, wish him or her a happy day. And, let them know they are appreciated.

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Awww, my daughter is a Physician’s Assistant and I just found out it was her day…:(

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2008 at 10:12 am

October 7th is: [B][U]World Smile Day [/U][/B] ๐Ÿ™‚

World Smile Day celebrates the ever popular yellow smiley. It also offers us an opportunity to do an act of kindness. According to the World Smile Day website, a proclamation of this day was made by the U.S. Congress. Now that should put a smiley on your face.

The smiley face became so popular, that the U.S. Post Office issued a stamp with the smiley face.

The intent of World Smile Day is to do an act of kindness, or help one person to smile. Why not do both!?

The yellow smiley stands brightly smiling upon this day, offering it’s stamp of approval ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2008 at 10:24 am

Yes I think I like this day, haha!

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2008 at 1:45 am

October 8th is: [B][U]American Touch Tag Day [/U][/B]

American Touch Tag Day is a day to play Touch Tag. That’ s right the child’s game of Tag. Touch Tag is probably the most popular child’s game in America. Almost all kids have played some version of it.

We are uncertain as to why this day was titled “American”. Tag has been known by many names, including: Tag, Touch, Touch Tag, It, Chasey, and Catching. The game has been played by children for thousands of years, going back as far as Ancient Egypt. If it was ours to call, we would certainly name this day World Tag Day.

Celebrate American Touch Tag Day today. No matter how old you are, go outside and play Touch Tag…..You’re it!

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Hey Jim! I certainly enjoy reading the everyday adventures of our calendar! So fun learning what each day stands for! Thanks for sharing!

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 10:00 am

October 9th is: [B][U]Curious Events Day [/U][/B]

Curious Events Day kinda peaks one’s curiosity. Why does this day exist? Who created it? What curious events are held today? The questions go on, and on, and on……

If you have a questioning and curious mind, this is your day. It encourages you to hold some kind of event that peak’s one’s curiosity. The topics are broad and seemingly endless, from philosophical subjects, to the existence of aliens. The only requirement is that the event must tantalize, and cater to our curiosity.

We are wondering if you will have a happy Curious Events Day. We think you will!

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Well that must be me today! Full of curiousity! Thanks Jim!

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2008 at 9:22 am

October 10th is: [B][U]National Angel Food Cake Day [/U][/B]

National Angel Food Cake Day is a great day to bake a cake with your little angels. Watch the smiles on their angelic faces, as you hand them the mixing spoon to lick off the batter!

Angel food cake is a sponge cake. It can be simple, or fancy. We suggest a jello angel food cake, for a real treat.

Its really easy to enjoy National Angel Food Cake Day. Make or buy an angel food cake. Making an angel food cake is the best way to celebrate this day. A homemade cake beats a store bought one. Then, enjoy it with family, friends, and at work.

Here’s wishing you a very Happy National Angel Food Cake Day

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2008 at 10:37 am

October 11th is: [B][U] It’s My Party Day [/U][/B]

It’s My Party Day is today. Let’s have a party and celebrate. Do you really need a reason to have a party? Me neither, so let’s get this party started!

What a great opportunity to have some fun. It’s a party day. You can make it simple, or elaborate. Invite family and friends. Being mid-October, a Fall or Halloween theme is in order.

Did you Know? Teen star Lesley Gore sang #1 pop music song It’s My Party in May, 1963. At the time, Lesley was just 16.

Life is too short. Today is It’s My Party Day. So, let’s party on into the night!

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2008 at 9:06 am

October 13th is also: [B]International Skeptics Day [/B]

International Skeptics Day is the perfect day for you…the “doubting Thomas”.

Perhaps the earth isn’t really round!? Maybe, the sky isn’t truly blue!? Does he(she) really love me!? ……..These are the words and questions of the classical skeptic.

By definition, a skeptic is a person who questions or doubts facts and theories. He, or she, is a mis-believer. A skeptic does not accept the “Given”. If you are inclined to doubt things that you see or hear, then International Skeptics Day is for you.

If you practice a little, I’m sure we can make a good skeptic out of you. Go ahead, give it a try. And, what better day to practice skepticism, than International Skeptics Day?

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2008 at 9:08 am

October 12th is: [B][U]Old Farmers Day [/U][/B] [I]sorry got a little busy yesterday[/I]

Old Farmers Day honors the hard labor of farmers throughout American history. Early American culture was heavily a farming culture. Early settlers cleared fields and pristine woods, to farm the rich land. They brought seeds and farming methods with them. They found new seeds, and learned new methods along the way. Many of those new farming methods came from Native Americans, who were already farming the land. Most notably, was the concept of hilling, or mounding soil.

The month of October is a very appropriate month to celebrate and honor farmers. At this time, the harvest is largely complete. It means that farmers can take a break from their labors, to enjoy this celebration.

A farmers’ work is long and hard. It certainly doesn’t make a person rich. It has its good years, and its bad ones. There is no guarantee of a good crop. Weather, pests, and disease problems often prove disastrous. But, through it all, farmers have persevered. And, their ceaseless hard work sets an example for all.

As Americans, we tip our hat to all farmers for their contributions to American culture, values,society, and the economy. Happy Old Farmers Day

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Be Bald and Free Day. For all those with a perfect Head.

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2008 at 4:02 pm

October 20th is: [B][U]National Brandied Fruit Day [/U][/B]

National Brandied Fruit Day celebrates sweet tasting fruit, soaked and marinated in brandy. This is a day that you have most certainly booked on your calendar, in eager anticipation. Well, it has finally arrived.

Brandied fruit…now that’s cause for a celebration! As a matter of fact, I’ll drink to that.

Enjoy a little brandied fruit on this day. Do so, with family and friends.

We hope you have a blissful National Brandied Fruit Day.

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2008 at 10:23 am

October 21th is: [B][U]Babbling Day [/U][/B]

Blatherskites, mark this day on your calendar. For today is Babbling Day. This isn’t a day to remain silent. Tell everyone you know about this special day.

What’s all the chatter about over this special day? Well, on Babbling Day, we celebrate those of us with a glib tongue. You know them when you hear them. They’re talking gibberish. They never stop talking. They babble on and on. They can turn a simple one sentence statement into an endless dissertation.

Spend this day babbling like a baby, if you must. As for me, I will spend it by a babbling brook.

BTW: In case you didn’t know, a “Blatherskite ” is a person who babbles.

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2008 at 12:52 am

I enjoy the holiday’s keep them comming.

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2008 at 8:10 pm

October 22nd is: [B][U] National Nut Day [/U][/B]

National Nut Day is today. It’s a little kooky and crazy if you ask me.

One can go a little bit batty contemplating the meaning of this day. Our research came up empty on information about this day. So, we can’t be certain as to the meaning of this very nutty day. There are two very obvious possibilities:

1. This day honors (???) all of the nutty people in the world. It gives recognition to all the kooks, loony birds and daffy people in your life. Show them you care today.

2. This day celebrates nutritious and healthy nuts (food) of all kinds. Celebrate today by eating lots of nuts, either as a snack, or in baked goods. May we suggest Chocolate Almond Ice Cream?

Of course it is always possible that this day celebrates the “Nut” that screws onto a bolt for fastening things.

A couple of nutty facts:

Peanuts are not really nuts. They are Legumes, a member of the “Pea” family.
      The center of seeds, like pumpkins and squash, is called a “nut”.

Are you a nut case? If so, you probably understand and enjoy Count Your Buttons Day

Have a happy National Nut Day !!

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2008 at 8:58 am

October 23rd, from 6:02 a.m., to 6:02 p.m is: [B][U]National Mole Day [/U][/B]

Chemistry majors, teachers and Chemistry buffs, this special day is for you.

National Mole Day commemorates Avogadro’s Number (6.02 x 10^23)

To thoroughly enjoy National Mole Day, one must first understand what a “Mole” in Chemistry is.

A “mole” is a basic measuring unit. It equals the atomic mass of a single molecule. It is measured in grams. This measure was discovered by Italian Amadeo Avogadro.

Chemistry teachers celebrate this day, by getting kids more interested in chemistry. They create special lesson and lab experiments around the theme of chemical measurements.

Why celebrate from 6:02 a.m., to 6:02 p.m? Look at the chemical formula for a mole. It starts with the number 6.02.

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2008 at 9:05 am

Its funny you mention this one. My son’s school celebrates this day. The kids design t-shirts and everything. They also celbrate pi day….can you tell my son goes to a geek school? I keep telling him geeks rule the world though! :p

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2008 at 11:00 am

October 23rd is: [B][U]Tv Talk Show Host Day [/U][/B]

Tv Talk Show Host Day celebrates and honors all Tv Talk Show hosts.

This very special day is celebrated on the birth date of legendary night time talk show host Johnny Carson. Carson is considered the “King of late night Television”. He hosted The Tonight Show from 1962 to 1992. His reign lasted a record 29 years, 7 months, 21 days. There were 1,859 episodes.

While this day is celebrated on Johnny Carson’s birth date, it is intended to show appreciation to all Television talk show hosts, daytime and nighttime.

Celebrate today, by having a television talk show marathon….watch them all day and night.

Have a happy Tv Talk Show Host Day !!

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2008 at 6:33 pm

Indeed that is a strage holiday… Talk Show Hosts… Hummm

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2008 at 11:09 am

October 27th is: [B][U]Navy Day [/U][/B]

Many nations around the world celebrate their navies, with a special day dedicated to them. Each country selects a date relevant to their navy, often the birth date of the navy.

In the United States, Navy Day is commonly celebrated on October 27th. This date was selected as it was the birth date of President Theodore Roosevelt, an avid supporter of the U.S. Navy. In the 1970’s, research determined that the birthday of the U.S. Continental Navy was October 13, 1775. At the time, efforts were made to move Navy Day to this date. However, Navy Day in the United Stares is still largely recognized as October 27th.

On Navy Day, give some well deserved attention to your proud U.S. Navy, and to the sailors who serve our country…….Salute!

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2008 at 2:40 pm

October 28th is: [B][U]Plush Animal Lover’s Day [/U][/B]

Plush Animal Lover’s Day is today. It’s a day to enjoy your plush, stuffed animals.

The objective of this day is simple: enjoy and appreciate your plush animals. Give them a little love and special attention today. And, if they’ve lost a little of their “plush”, that’s okay. You still love ’em.

Have a happy and loving Plush Animal Lover’s Day

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Hey Jim! Really enjoy reading about each day of the week! Great articles! Thanks for sharing!

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 12:46 pm

October 29th is: [B][U]Hermit Day [/U][/B]

Hermit Day is today. It’s a quiet day to spend quietly in seclusion, all by yourself.

For some people, being a recluse is a way of life. They spend everyday by themselves, in peaceful seclusion. For whatever reason, Hermits prefer living away from the crowds and the sea of humanity. For many of us who lead an increasingly busy lifestyle, the idea of being a “Hermit for a Day” is very tempting. The thought of getting away from it all, even if for just one day, is very appealing.

If you are a Hermit, celebrate your lifestyle today. If you’re one of the many, who yearn for a break from your hectic lifestyle, be a Hermit on this day. Chill out by yourself where no one can find you.

Spend this day in a secluded area or environment. May we suggest you do so with a good reading book. We hope that no one interrupts your the calm and serenity.

Have a happy, secluded, quiet, and peaceful Hermit Day.

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2008 at 12:28 pm

October 30th is: [B][U]National Candy Corn Day [/U][/B]

National Candy Corn Day is today. Enjoy a handful of this sweet Fall treat. And, what perfect timing. National Candy Corn Day comes just a day before Halloween. That means you can eat plenty of it, before you go out Trick or Treating.

Candy corn is enjoyed all year long. Place it in a candy dish any time of the year, and watch it disappear by the handful. By far, the vast majority of candy corn is consumed during the Fall months, with both Halloween and Thanksgiving being the biggest times to eat it.

Candy corn was invented in the 1880s by George Renninger, and first manufactured by the Wunderle Candy Company. The Goelitz Candy company was the first to manufacture mass quantities around the turn of the century.

Candy corn consists primarily of corn syrup, honey, and sugar. There’s lots of carbs(sugar), but it’s fat free!?

Have a happy National Candy Corn Day.

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2008 at 12:30 pm

October 31st is: [B][U]Increase Your Psychic Powers Day [/U][/B].

Go ahead and guess, errr read my mind….if you can.

I’m thinking of a number from one to ten. Okay, take a guess…….what number is it??

Nope, it’s ten. Sure, I fooled you. But, if you truely have psychic powers, you would know I was up to something.

The reason for this little exercise(above), was to show you that you need to improve upon your psychic powers. And, today is “the” day to increase your psychic powers.

Now, let’s get on to “How” you can increase your psychic powers. There are a number of ways. And, there is no shortage of psychics, groups and websites to help you.

Here are a few ways, to improve your psychic capabilities:

Get out the Ouija board. Use it with some friends.
      Practice makes perfect. Get out a deck of cards. Shuffle them well. Think of what the top card is. Then, turn it over. Keep going.
      Flip of the coin, too. Guess heads or tails while the coin is in the air. As your psychic power increases, you should guess correctly more than 50% of the time.
      Hone your ESP skills – When the phone rings, guess who it will be. As you go through the day, guess what people are going to say, or what is going to happen next.
      Tip: Concentrating and clearing your mind of other thoughts, is essential to successfully developing your psychic powers.

I’m getting a reading in my mind that you will have a happy and fun filled Increase Your Psychic Powers Day.

October Holidays

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2006 at 7:25 am

October 1 is . . . . . World Vegetarian Day and Magic Circles Day

October 2 is . . . . . Name Your Car Day

October 3 is . . . . . Virus Appreciation Day

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2006 at 10:21 am

This is personal but… my grandmother’s birthday was 10/1, my oldest sister is 10/13, next sister is 10/23, mine is 10/26, my mother’s was 10/28, and my other sister’s is 10/31. Wow what a cold month of February it was in Michigan!

Happy Virus Appreciation Day to All :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2006 at 1:54 pm

[FONT=”Book Antiqua”]My sons birthday is 10/15. My daughter has a baby girl due around that date also ! ๐Ÿ˜‰ [/FONT]

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2006 at 7:16 pm

Chrissy,

My birthday is Oct. 31 too. I don’t know too many other people with that date.

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2006 at 11:00 pm

๐Ÿ˜‰ October 4 is . . . . . National Golf Day

October 5 is . . . . . National Storytelling Festival

October 6 is . . . . . German-American Day and Come and Take It Day

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 7:13 am

October 4 is . . . . . National Golf Day and I thought that was every day!

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 9:19 am

Oct 7 — Coffee-a-holics Day

Oct 8 — Wall Paper Day

Oct 9 — Chocolate Milk Day

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2006 at 8:34 pm

October 5 is . . . . . National Storytelling Festival

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2006 at 6:52 am

October 6 is . . . . . German-American Day and Come and Take It Day

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2006 at 10:04 am

October 7 is . . . . . National Frappe Day

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2006 at 8:07 am

October 8 is . . . . . American Tag Day

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2006 at 8:35 am

October 9 is . . . . . Moldy Cheese Day

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2006 at 8:37 am

October 10 is . . . . National Angel Food Cake Day

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2006 at 8:37 am

October 11 is . . . . It’s My Party Day

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2006 at 8:44 am

October 12 is . . . . International Moment Of Frustration Scream Day

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2006 at 8:47 am

October 13 is . . . . National Peanut Festival

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2006 at 7:38 am

October 14 is . . . . Be Bald and Free Day and National Dessert Day

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2006 at 11:18 am

october 20th—-[COLOR=red]Sweetest Day!!!:) [/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2006 at 10:02 pm

[FONT=”Century Gothic”]October 15 is . . . . White Cane Safety Day

October 16 is . . . . Dictionary Day

October 17 is . . . . Gaudy Day

October 18 is . . . . No Beard Day

October 19 is . . . . Evaluate Your Life Day

October 20 is . . . . National Brandied Fruit Day[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2006 at 7:16 am

8-15 National Metric Week

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2006 at 9:06 pm

[FONT=”Franklin Gothic Medium”]Now for the rest of the Octobers weird holidays. October 21 is . . . . Babbling Day

October 22 is . . . . National Nut Day

October 23 is . . . . National Mole Day

October 24 is . . . . National Bologna Day

October 25 is . . . . Punk For A Day Day

October 26 is . . . . Mule Day

October 27 is . . . . Sylvia Plath Day

October 28 is . . . . Plush Animal Lover’s Day and National Chocolate Day More Info On Chocolate

October 29 is . . . . Hermit Day

October 30 is . . . . National Candy Corn Day

October 31 is . . . . National Magic Day and Increase Your Pyschic Powers Day ๐Ÿ˜‰
      [/FONT]

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 2:22 pm

Oct 24-26: Eid Ul-Fitr (tentatively, actual date based on moon sightings)
      Holiday occurring after the completion of Ramadan, lasting three days during which Muslims celebrate with special prayers followed by community celebrations.

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 8:41 pm

October 16 is Department Store Day…

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 7:32 am

October 17 is Mulligan Day

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2006 at 8:21 am

October 18 — Get to know your Customers day!

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2006 at 11:12 pm

14-20th of October World Rain Forest Day

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 9:03 am

20 October Miss America Rose Day

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 9:53 am

[COLOR=magenta]Happy Sweetest Day to All!!![/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2006 at 10:07 am

October 21 is . . . . Babbling Day

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2006 at 8:38 am

22 October is National Color Day…

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2006 at 3:43 pm

oct 21st was Bridge Day, prayers go out to the Jumper who’s shute didn’t open properly yesterday.:(

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 8:35 am

23 October TV Talk Show Host DAY

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 9:51 am

24 October United Nations Day

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 9:14 am

October 21-27 — National Character Counts Week!

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2006 at 9:30 pm

October 26 Frankenstein Day

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2006 at 2:55 pm

27 October Make a difference Day

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2006 at 2:23 am

28 October National Choclate Day

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2006 at 7:22 am

29 October Internet Day