Occipital Neuralgia

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 1:10 pm

Just wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia, and what treatment was used to treat it? Ben’s had some ongoing headaches for three weeks, and his neurologist diagnosed him with it on Tuesday. The insurance company doesn’t want to pay for treatment, so I’m looking into other options. We go see the Pain Management doctor Wednesday, so I’ll found out about different options from him too.

Thanks!

Shannon

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2007 at 12:59 am

Hi Shan! A few years ago, I had Prolotherapy for it. It has worked well, well as well can be. The occipitals were, at that time, a very painful part of my body. I actually had a few things going on at once. The headaches(migraines), neuralgia, and fibromyalgia, on top of 3 car accidents that caused the neck injuries. but since having the prolo my neck at the occips is stronger, alot less painful. Now i just have degen disc disease in the c4,5 and 6 areas along with lumbar area. Why won’t the ins pay for treatment?

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2007 at 1:42 pm

Hey Cher!

Ben has lots of different things going on too. Degenerative disc disease in three discs, herniated disc, bulging disc, residuals from GBS, and now this. Just when we get one problem fixed, along comes another one. I’m heading out to go get him donuts to surprise him when he wakes up, but I’ll look up that treatment this afternoon. I don’t know what the issue is with the insurance company. It may simply be a case of a lazy billing person not wanting to get the documentation because I called the insurance company, and they said the billing person hadn’t even sent the paperwork. I got on her case after that, so hopefully everything will go through. I’ll be making phone calls tomorrow too.

Okay, I’d better git now! Thanks!

Shan

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2007 at 2:31 pm

Shan, I’ll take a couple crullers while you’re at it!!!:D
      If I can answer any questions about Prolotherapy let me know. Although I must tell you, If Ben is not crazy about needles, this procedure is not for him.:eek: I am really pleased with the outcome of my treatments, my neck is about 75% stronger then it was prior to doing it.:) HUGS!!!

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2007 at 3:45 pm

Cher, those are my favorite too! In fact, I’m about to go have one (or two)! I do have a question about Prolotherapy. How the heck does it work?! Where do they inject the sugar water because that sounds like something I could do at home for a lot less than the doctor will want to charge him! Ben really hates needles, but ever since GBS, he’s learned to be able to tolerate them a lot better, although he hates the idea of having acupuncture. I just want something done soon because my poor sweetie has been taking so many meds and has slept the last three days.

Thanks again! HUGS!

Shan

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2007 at 1:18 am

Sorry Shan, only a handful of drs are certified to do prolotherapy, it is very intense but the out come is worth it for many. A really fine needle is used, the size a diabetic uses, its filled with a numbing agent and sugarwater, and injected(I had 30 to 40 injections) into the occipitals. isn’t really pleasant, and hurts for a day or 2 until the swelling goes down. I had i think about 6 treatments. Yes it is fun trying to get the ins co to pay, mine did, but only after my drs worked them over, and it was my last therapy to try. I’m actually thinking about trying it on my knees next. Only thing holding me back is the dr who did my neck/occ is now in Virginia teaching, and my hubby was just laid off, can’t justify spending the money right now. There are draw backs to prolotherapy also, and I’m not sure if a gbs/cidp person should do it, I don’t know of any studies done for that, not much is wrote on prolotherapy in the first place. I just read an article on it the other day on mayoclinic dot com, it didn’t say alot of positives about it, but I have to disagree with the figures they mentioned. It would be something to talk over with Ben’s drs. Give Ben a Big Hug for me! Take Care.

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2007 at 8:35 am

Is the occipital at the base of the skull in back of head?? Nursing school education is starting to fade away a bit! I get headaches there too, and they can be nasty. I usually get them w/sinus pain, which is usually above and behind the left eye.