Occasional Blood Pressure Spikes

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 11:01 am

Hello All,
      It has been awhile, 6 years since onset..GBS..slowly sliding off Neurontin… down to 100 mg. p/day at night…and on 1/2 tab .5 of metropolo for intermittent blood prressure spikes once a day in the a.m…..which brings me to my question. Have any of you experienced this ? I didn’t have any blood pressure problems before GBS, is this going to be a long term thing or still phasing out of my post GBS residuals ? Blood pressure normally 130-135 over 65-70, but will race to 145-150 over 80-95 for 1/2 hr. to 1 hr. I don’t like taking medicine for just occasional bouts. Any input appreciated…Bless all of you that have battled this terrible mystery syndrome, Sure Wish all of you could have come out on top like I did. Long road, lots of exercise, better diet and purely Gods Grace.

JT in Ohio

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 7:04 pm

hi jt & welcome,

i’d say your bp prob is a gbs residual. no one knows if it will ever go away. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 9:07 pm

I don’t know why you are so concerned with your blood pressure. it isnt dangerous and for 30 mins a day daaaaaaaaaaaaaa many things make it go up and down. some times mine is 160-175 over 90-98. it will go up and down for may things meds, stress, excitement, sounds like you are obsessed with your blood pressure. I would worry more about my GBS than my blood pressure. Have a great day (Lakoda)

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 12:06 am

It’s worth discussing this with your doctor. My blood pressure goes up considerably at certain time during the day. Of course that may have something to do with teaching middle school. High blood pressure isn’t something to fool with. Get it check out, but don’t get too stressed over it. That just adds to the problem.

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 4:54 am

JR the momentary rises in BP are trivial. Hypertension has to be sustained for many years to increase the risk of cardio-vascular disease. Of those with sustained hypertension treatment of a hundred may help just a few. For heavens sake stop taking your blood pressure, you might just check it once annually. Taking pills for BP every now and again is a waste of time and money. In the UK we are advised not to initiate treatment unless we record a sustained rise on three or more occasions. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 11:50 am

Yeah DocDavid! I have always suspected just as you say (good for a layperson, eh?) I have always known my bp was different when “more tired” and other symptoms were exacerbated but to get the medical people to not over react ~ oh my! Thanks for giving us some more “education” 😀

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Glad you posted this…… At my last Dr visit (one week ago) my BP was 160 even though I am on BP Meds……we decided to wait 2 weeks to see how it is, this is good info for me at this point.

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 4:16 pm

Hello Al,
      My husband, age 60, is still in the hospital, still on a vent, and still a quad since onset of GB June 4, 2006. He is still having blood pressure spikes, but they aren’t as frequent as they were. He did have blood pressure trouble before, but nothing like since the GB set in. How long were you hospitalized? Were you on a vent? John had a good healthy heart before GB. He had to have a pace maker put in because of the huge heart rate drops and accelerations after GB. Did you also have the heart rate fluctuations?

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 5:36 pm

Al,

I have blood pressure spikes too, but they last for a few days, then return to normal. In my case, I believe this is due to the effect of GBS on the autonomic nerves.

However, blood pressure spikes during the course of a day are to be expected regardless of GBS. As Doc David said – stop worrying and relax.

Suzanne