Nutrition

• October 15, 2006 at 9:38 pm

I was wondering what diet and supplements would be good to help the nerves heal. I take a multiple vitamin plus extra B-complex. I have heard that fish is good for your nerves. It has been 10 months since I first got GBS and six months since I got out of the hospital. Very slowly I am walking better and driving with almost normal confidence. I can go up the stairs without holding on to the railing and walk a lot better on uneven ground. I stopped taking Neurontin. I have a lot of annoying sensations such as numbness and burning in my fingers and feet and ankles but nothing real painfull. My fingers and legs(from my calves down) are real stiff at times. I wonder about the extent to which I might recover and what residual effects I might have especially after reading everybody’s posts. Apparently it is hard for nerves to heal so one naturally wonders how good nutrition might benefit the healing process.

• October 15, 2006 at 10:56 pm

Robert

I take multivitamins as well…and have added Alpha-lipoic acid but only one 100mg a day. Higher doses that are being tried for neuropathy can lead to very low blood sugar and heart palpitations. I also read that protein is supposed to help as well as the omega fatty acids…also read about adding lysine and other amino acids. One day I will take just the multivitamin, the next I will take the super b complex. I have also added Silk Soy milk in Very Vanilla for Kids because it has high protein and omega stuff (and it tastes really good). I dont drink a lot of this because i am still wierd about too much soy in my diet and we get so much of it in everything we eat these days.

Anyone else have a “plan” that has helped them? I am looking for info too and I am sure others could benefit from this. All natural ideas are great!

Lori

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 3:13 am

Good nutrition is helpful in any disease process! The more fresh fruits, vegies, grains, legumes and nuts, the better. My research indicates that we don’t get enough essential fatty acids which is vital in reducing inflammation in the body. Many disease processes contain an inflammatory component.
      Every processed food appears to contain sugar, corn syrup and many other forms of sweetener (watch for any word with ‘ose’ as in sucrolose).
      That is terribly hard on the immune system! And artifical sweeteners are so foreign to the body that the body responds as to a toxin (inflammation).

I am not a Registered Dietician. Any knowledge I share is from my nutrition certification and much research.

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 10:16 am

Judi Z,

What is the word about the SuperB Complex? I have been taking it on the advice of my PCP. How much and how often is good?

And thanks for the Info on the sweeteners. I have been using artificials for last year and will cut them out now.

And I need to rework my diet, my doc recommended high protein as that helps to regenerate the nerves. But I have problems digesting too much protein. I love my fruits and veggies and try to eat 5-6 servings per day. Going organic at the present time as well. Want to give my body the best chance it can have to regenerate in this Post GBS environment. If it can regenerate…..

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 12:20 pm

If your doc advised a B complex (my acupuncturist did), usually you follow the amount on the bottle. Those numbers are purposefully low so that you don’t get to much. Vitamin A is #1 for regeneration of nerves and yes, you need protein. Any live foods (fruits, vegies, etc.) all have a protein component. And nuts are great ~ just not to many because of the high fat. Legumes (beans, lentils, etc) are excellent protein. This is why a well varied vegetarian diet is great! All animal products contain residue from any “treatment” (antibiotics, hormones) they have received and is passed on to humans. The same in live foods (pesticides) wherefore food that you can get organic is best. All food that you purchase grown close to your home is best. (It has been proven that food “trucked in” from other areas contain residue from the exhaust 😮 )

I personally believe that nerves can regenerate (we’re walking again!) but there are so many variables in each person. No 2 people are exactly the same in their recovery. Self education, making the changes you feel will help, and a positive attitude go along way! (many times I have to rely on my husband’s positive attitude :p !)

• October 16, 2006 at 12:21 pm

Here is some info…
      [url]http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA50582[/url]

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 9:52 pm

Ah, Dr. Weil, know him well. Used to be my home page. I have always strived for optimum health, but I couldn’t give up chocolate…..

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 11:29 pm

I am not a dr in any way but do agree that nutrition besides rest is all we have to heal ourselves. What we eat is as important as what we don’t-while healing avoid msg or any preservatives, caffeine, alcohol, or anything artificial or processed. Keep a positive attitude and surround yourself with positive people and avoid stress and rest alot. A quality whole food multi supplement certainly cannot hurt either. I tried to eat alot of b vitamins, protein, omega 3’s as these are supposed to be good for myelin sheath repair. I am a firm believer in the vita-mix machine-it’s a fair investment but when it comes to recovery we have only one chance. I make a drink every day containing flax seed(omega 3’s), wheat germ(folic acid,vit e), bee pollen(b vitamins, protein), carrots, oranges, celery, cabbage, broccoli, blueberries, and spinach. I don’t know how much these ideas helped, but being 1 year post gbs I feel pretty good most of the time. I now have an occasional glass of wine and coffee or tea. This site to me was the best avenue for info on what to expect and certainly has a lot of supportive people. Ted