Numbness on one side – residual?

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 12:52 am

I’m 2.5 years post onset. Day before yesterday I started getting numbness on my left side – face, fingers and toes. When I woke up yesterday, it hadn’t gone away, so I went to the ER post haste. They were thinking stroke, and slammed me in the hospital for all the usuall tests, which of course were negative. Today they released me, and tomorrow I see the neurologist, who by phone is insisting it’s NOT a GBS residual. Now I am numb on my entire left side, but nothing on the right. Any one have this experience?

Thanks
      VMAC

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 1:09 am

Hi Victoria,
      I actually have more numbness on my right side of my body than my left. I was this way during the worst of my GBS and have continued to be 3.5 years post. So it can happen.

sherry

• June 15, 2007 at 8:43 am

I am learning that anything is possible with residuals. BUT it is a good thing you went in just in case. Remember, dr’s dont know much about GBS and have told almost all of us at one time or another that something we are experiencing is NOT GBS related. I say we seem to know more about each other, GBS, and ourselves than most dr’s. I also had more problems on one side than the other…and even then both sides were not equal with everything I went thru. My left side was more affected than my right, but my right leg was weaker than my left even though the left was number and tinglier and more painful. Even now, just about a year post, my left leg has more residuals than my right, but the right side of my face has more problems than the left. It’s all wacky and frightening at times and it is a good thing to get in to the dr just in case when things act up more than the “norm”. Keep us informed and dont let your dr tell ya it is all in your mind. Because if it is…than we are all nuts because we all experience things that “arent related to GBS”.

Lori

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 4:02 pm

Woo Hoo!!! We are all crazy 😮 NOT! I recently had problems with my right arm going numb. Never really resolved the issue with the neuro, but have found muscle relaxers help – I must have a pinched nerve in my neck or something. If it is not one thing, its another… but it doesn’t hurt to be on the safe side.

Take care and get a few extra naps in 🙂

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2007 at 11:14 am

I agree that most doctores don’t realize how many residuals we face. I too get the numbness, tingles weakness on one side, mainly right, and then when I’m really run down I can’t even swallow, and slur my words light a drunkard If it weren’t for my konopin and cymbalta I believe i would still be house bound. It is not in our imagination. xoxoxoxox Roxie

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2007 at 1:38 pm

Here’s the word from the neurologist. A mild stroke of the Thalimus gland. Whether it is or not, the tx is all good advice. Loose weight, exercise. lower blood pressure, drink a glass of red wine a night. Now I need something to eat.

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2007 at 11:31 pm

VMac I have learned one big lesson from your post. Don’t blame everything on GBS and ignore it. Better to be safe than sorry and go to the Doctors. I think it is because we have learned to listen to our bodies for so long with the GBS we can catch things much quicker. Hope things get better for you, soon. Take care and be well!

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2007 at 1:19 am

Kit,

Amen

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2007 at 4:56 am

hai, thats right as our friend said don’t blame GBS for every thing. I was effected mostly on my left side when i was diaognised. even now and then my left leg gets numb(because of l4 disc bulge). So numbness may occur due to the compression of nerves in our spinalcord also. Better to consult the doctor if it is serious and take medication and necessary things.

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2007 at 2:57 pm

I like the red wine part 😀

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2007 at 5:56 pm

My left side of my body was weaker than the right side and last week struggle most with my left side giving me trouble.