numbness in fingers

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 7:36 am

I’ve developed numbness in my fingers — like they’ve gone to sleep. It’s especially noticeable when I grip the steering wheel or grip anything, period.

Anyone else experience this?? Is it related to my cidp?? I have an emg scheduled next Monday — my neuro thinks it’s carpal tunnel — but that sounds crazy to me.

Cathy

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 8:06 am

Hello Cathy,
      YES, you do get a numbness, tingling and prickling in hands and feet. The numbness in my hands was the first thing that happened. This is part of CIDP and it may never go away. I am still extremely numb after eight years. Some of our members say that neurontin helps.

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 10:10 am

[QUOTE=cathyb]I’ve developed numbness in my fingers — like they’ve gone to sleep. It’s especially noticeable when I grip the steering wheel or grip anything, period.
      [/QUOTE]

My CIDP started with numbness and tingling in my hands, and all sorts of strange sensations in affected areas are not unusual.

That doesn’t mean that it [I]isn’t[/I] carpal tunnel or repetitive strain though.

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 10:16 am

Hi Cathy,
      After 5 yrs. I still have numbness in my fingers and feet. It all started in my hands with numbness and “funny feelings”. It still may be carpal tunnel though. Good luck
      Connie

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 1:56 pm

๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for your replies and for the good luck wishes. I’ll let you know what my neuro says after my appt on Monday.

Cathy;)

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 2:54 pm

Cathy, numbness in my fingertips developed earlier this year. Since then it has gotten worse and spread to my palms. When I move my hands it feels like the skin is tight. It has become difficult to pick up small items and often I let things in my hands slip out. Two days ago I tried to cut an orange since I no longer am able to just peel it. The orange slipped and I sliced into my left index finger, nasty cut. I am still adjusting to the new symptoms learning what I can and cannot do.

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 8:38 pm

My cidp started out with numbness in fingers and feet. It spread up my arms. I didn’t notice that my legs were getting it too. ๐Ÿ™ My next neuro decided to do an emg and he tested my wrist nerves. He said it waws NOT carpal tunnel. (I was disappointed because I thought that might be an easy fix.) My arms are weak, I cannot hold anything if my arms must be raised. I am dropping things all the time, sometimes flipping them out of my hands. My shoulders and back are in constant pain. And my neck and head.

At a family reunion they wanted a group picture. I was on the back row and they wanted me to kneel for the sake of composition. I could not. If I tried I would fall kaplunk on my knees. My son helped me down. It took two of them with all their strength to pull me back afterwards.

Right now my face is numb; my smile is crooked; I have constant rhythmic muscle tensions all day in my throat–I feel like there is a rubber band hooked to the inside of each ear and I’m playing them like a mandolin. I can stop it if I notice. It comes back when my attention goes on to something else. It is connected to a severe blink of my eyes. I really hate this.

Am I wierd or does anyone else have a stupid thing like that? Is there anything anyone can suggest that might help me get rid of this? I didn’t discuss this with my neuro but he could not have missed seeing it. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 9:00 am

[QUOTE=Patricia ANN]
      Am I wierd or does anyone else have a stupid thing like that? Is there anything anyone can suggest that might help me get rid of this? I didn’t discuss this with my neuro but he could not have missed seeing it. :eek:[/QUOTE]
      Patricia, I am not a doctor but your symptoms sound like just one more manifestation of CIDP progression. It usually starts in the feet, then the legs, after that hands and arms – apparently face is next. There is no treatment that can single out one specific area – at least I cannot imagine it based on what I know about available treatments. IVIG or PP (can’t remember if you are getting any of that. Are you?) are not specific. Doctors don’t even know how it works. They just have theories.

Definitely mention it to you neuro.

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2006 at 10:03 am

Patricia,

So sorry you’re having a hard time and wish you all the best. Thanks for responding to my post. ๐Ÿ™‚ Wish I had some words of wisdom.

I’m hoping that this isn’t cidp showing up showing up somewhere else…guess that’s why I’m having an emg on Monday.

Cathy

• Anonymous
      July 22, 2006 at 7:55 am

cathy,

my CIDP first presented as classic carpal tunnel syndrome. matter of fact, since i’m a computer programmer, the doctors were dumb enough to look for confirmation of cts instead of diagnosing the problem.

i had ct relase on both wrists. needless to say i never got any better. stick to you guns kiddo, cts rarely presents as symmetrical (both sides). if you don’t have pain in your wrists and fingers, it’s probably not cts.

besides, ct release is treating the symptoms, it’s not even close to an attempt to treat the cause – inflamation of the tissues around the tendons which causes pressure on the median nerve within the ct. – ct release is where they just cut the transverse carpal ligament ([url]http://www.scoi.com/handanat.htm[/url]) to make more room for all of the tendons and nerves. just another debacle of medicine and knife happy doctors.

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2006 at 10:37 am

Well, I had my emg on Monday — a friend said they should be outlawed by the Geneva Convention!! ๐Ÿ˜ก I agree ๐Ÿ˜€

My “numbers” in my legs, arms, wrists, fingers aren’t good. I do have carpal tunnel and decreased reactions, according to the emg.

Don’t know where I go from here…guess I knew this was coming but it’s still numbing…psychologically…at least for me.

I can’t take Cellcept right now and my neuro’s hesitant about ivig — I have lots going on in my life and a lot of stress…so she wants to wait.

Just trying to keep on keeping on…guess that’s all I can do — like everyone else here!:o

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2006 at 3:49 pm

Cathy
      I am so sorry you had a terrible experience. I have had 3 EMGs but they don’t bother me much–my arms and legs are too numb to care. I do like to see that doctors are really trying to find out what’s wrong with me. :confused:

It gets them so they can say “You have CIDP but we don’t really know what that is.” I guess I am in agreement with my doctors–we don’t know what that is.:rolleyes:

I am in agreement with you–we just go on. And on.I am old though, so I in the morning I just wake up and see how the day is going to be. I am doing a little gardening the last few days–I actually enjoy it and it is helping. My physiatrist would be thrilled that I sometimes get out of my chair. :rolleyes:

Be well
      Patricia

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2006 at 12:26 am

Cathy,

My neuro put it this way, If the numbness comes and goes (like when you are driving, or holding the phone) then it probably isn’t the cIDP causing it. The CIDP would be a thing that kept it numb all of the time, not just 20 minutes here, or a couple of hours there. I have the same thing. It is aggravating for sure.

I could aggree that if the nerves were damaged, then symptoms might present themselves more quickly, or more often. But their cause would be different.

That was one thying that made my diagnosis more difficult at the beginning. I had damage to some discs in my back. It was causing numbness to move from my spine downward towards my feet, while the CIDP was causing numbness from my feet upwards towards my spine. I had three EMG/NVC tests done at various intervals prior to diagnosis. They are not fun.

Dick S

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2006 at 9:41 am

My numbness waxes and wanes just a little bit–it is always there. Numbness in my fingers is always there–they can barely feel at all. They are getting harder to move, as are my hands.

I have a slipped disc in my cervical area–C6 and C7 and am about to have a consultation with my neuro about surgery for that. Since I have the most difficulty with my arms I wonder if they can be improved with surgery. The last 6 months my legs, which have always been strong, have suddenly weakened so I can’t get down to do anything because I will not be able to get up again. It is getting worse all the time, as are my arms. I hope I don’t eventually become quadroplegic like my dad did.

I need something to cheer me up.:(

Patricia

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 1:01 am

Patricia Anne

I had a destroyed disc at c6-c7, plus a bone spur. When the disc finally gave way and collapsed, it caused the vertebrae to pinch on the right side nerves. I had a bone spur pinching on the left side at the same level. I was a mess.

Fortunately I had a relatively quick response surgically, and I have completely healed from that occurrence.

Neck pains, nerve pinches that run down your arms all stink. I really sympathize with your condition. There are some thyings that you can do to strengthen your neck, and take some pressure off the disc area.

Remember the same thing we always talk about with CIDP– over doing it is never fun. I am still guilty of the same thing. I just spent the weekend off my feet because I was on them too long through the week. “How was your weekend?” they will ask tomorrow (Monday). “In bed, in pain.”I will reply.

Losing the ability to do something that you could once do easily stinks. Especially when it is something you loved to do. Having an additional numb area, or more pain, or more weakness, is a terrible thing to deal with. It might be easier to say to your CIDP, “Take what you are going to take, then leave me the ##@% alone.” BUt it won’t be that way. Losses mount, and it takes a toll on you and then on your loved ones as you deal with it.

I don’t like it either.

I know that I will end up in a power chair full time. I need one now for distances longer than a football field. I rest as I can, and I do what I can. I know I am going to lose, but I am determined to get what I can while I still can. Within reason, of course. I now try to be as positive as possible and enjoy whatever life I can. I have become much more comfortable with my faith, my family, and my spouse. (She gets extra mention, family AND spouse) I try not to be bitter anymore, it doesn’t help.

It sounds like some of your arm problems can be traced to your neck, not totally CIDP. Hopefully the progression with your legs will slow and give you some time to do some of the things you like to do, at least for a while yet.

Take care, keep up hope, I will keep the faith for you !!

Dick S

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 10:41 am

Dick S and all,
      Thanks for all your wise words and sharing. I have been off the computer for several weeks. I was leaning over a short retaining wall made of concrete blocks, when my body decided it could not manage it and I tipped sideways and could not break my fall. I left part of me on the driveway, managed to not break my scull or harm by lovely:rolleyes: 73 year old face. I got a huge hunk taken out of my elbow and heel. So, I have made a rule I cannot touch any plant that I have to lean over. If I take my cane I can lean a little uphill but NEVER downhill. That was my 3rd fall so I should have known better.

I have given up painting, playing flute, playing piano. The Polyanna side is I can look out my window and admire the gorgeous bank and hill and path through the middle of it that 25 of my descendants carved out and planted for me during the July 4th holiday. I can sit and practice piano for 5 or so minutes, and am giving that bit of painful muscle to my favorate hymn that my son arranged for a quoir that all of them that came, for them to sing in my Church service and it about melted me down.
      Patricia
      So, Pollyanna still lives!:)

“Use it up. wear it out, make it do, or do without.
      (Motto of the American pilgrims.)