Not hungry anymore at all… Normal residual?

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2007 at 11:03 am

Hi, everyone. I’ve been offline for a while because of computer troubles coupled with a big move to a new house. We needed to get into a ranch house that was all on one level so that I could access the whole house again, as I can no longer climb stairs easily anymore. THank you, GBS! :rolleyes: Anyway, life is much sweeter in a one-story home, I must say!

But on to the point of this post…

Over the past three or four days, I have completely and totally lost my appetite. Like, I do not EVER feel hungry, and I’m lucky to force myself to eat one small snack-sized meal a day (like a cup of yogurt, stick of cheese, or an apple), and even then it’s hard to make myself eat the entire serving.

We just moved a week and a half ago, and then we discovered that both the furnace and water heater have to be replaced soon thereafter, so I’ve been under a great deal of stress both physically and mentally. The pins and needles have increased in my hands, feet, and face, and sometimes my tongue (which is weird, let me tell you!), and I feel more fatigued, too. But that’s happened before, whereas the lack of hunger thing hasn’t.

I know I need to eat, but I just can’t. Is this a normal aspect of a residual “flare-up” due to stress, and will my appetite come back with rest? Or should I be worried enough to call the neuro and talk to his nurse about it? I can tell I’ve lost a few pounds already over the past week because my clothes are looser.

What would you do?

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2007 at 11:21 am

Suzanne, no appetite and weight loss have plagued me since the onset of GBS (nearing 3 years now). I think the lousy hospital food kicked off the initial weight loss. My primary care Doc has always insisted on tests to make sure nothing else is wrong, internally. Upper GI, Colonoscopy, etc. Everything always checks out. So I have deduced that the appetite thing is one of my residuals. On days I am totally fatigued I notice the lack of interest in eating even more so. Stress seems to trigger nervous eating with most people, but it works just the opposite with me.
      I make sure that what I eat is going to help with energy and don’t waste eating on worthless calories such as sugars and sweets. They tend to bog me down. I eat small amounts, but try to have something on hand to munch on for energy most of the day.
      I was a comfortable size 12 most of my life. I’m now a 4 and not proud of it. I know this is not my natural weight, but am getting a hold on handling it.
      Good Luck, eat healthy when you do eat. Some people live to eat. We need to eat to live.
      Jay Dee

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2007 at 11:41 am

Hi Suzanne, a new house sounds very stressful. I would call the nurse and let her know of your symptoms, that way you have crossed all your t’s. Rest and more rest would def help, and maybe just sitting and thinking of where and what color would look good in that room and where all your knick knacks are going to look their best. Enjoy your new home and destress for at least the amount of time you have been stressing-equalize the time. Keep track of your residuals and if they start getting worse or new things keep popping up, kind of compare from one day to the next. If they get out of hand let your dr know and go from there.
      During my flare ups I loose my stomach feelings, among other things, with a few days of rest it usually comes back gradually. I don’t mind it-I could use the help to loose weight.:o I’m trying to recover from the crudes(summer cold, lung congestion, fever and some other crap) it has increased my residuals somewhat but with days of rest it seems to be kept under more control.
      If you can, take some time for yourself, rest, rest and then treat yourself to some ice cream-it always helps me:D Get feeling better and enjoy your new home. 🙂

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2007 at 6:47 am

I have a decrease in appetite too! I never get hungry and it is easy if I am traveling or busy that I don’t get hunger pains as a reminder to eat. Never did. So I try to eat something healthy 5 or 6 times a day. I eat a variety of good choices from as many food groups as I can. I wish I could give you a few of my EXTRA pounds! If I knew the secret of how to find more energy I would share that with you too! Hang in there and make sure you do mention it to your family doctor too!

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2007 at 8:58 am

Suzanne,

I have had residuals for a while. When I lost my appetite, I figured that something else could be wrong, too. I was right (unfortunately). Kidney stone, too large to pass, inhibiting digestion. So, I don’t think it hurts to have these things checked out.

Good luck!

Kelly