Nortriptyline?

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2006 at 4:13 pm

My doctor has asked if I would like to go on this for pain management, I have read the side effects and they are not very nice, anyones thoughts on this would be appreciated as always.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2006 at 4:49 pm

I used it from March 05 to about October 06. It never stopped any pain of any kind for me but it did mellow me out after the prednisone had me nutso. It was prescribed as a sleep aid but it never did that either.
      I took neurontin and still take it when I have neuralgia issues but I never had anything else help out with that so far.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2006 at 6:14 pm

i have been on it since May, it was prescribed to stop the annoying tingling sensations I had in my feet. It worked, and now I do not feel any tingling in my feet anymore. I am hoping they take me off of it in February. I have not noticed any side effects, however, I think on occasion it makes me feel dizzy for an hour or so, and I think it lowers my blood pressure (which is normally low already to begin with.) Other than that, I must say the benefits have outweighed the risks.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2006 at 10:09 pm

Nortriptyline is an anti-depresant and can stop some of the pain of GBS, however it can also make you very jittery and sleepy.

• Anonymous
      December 28, 2006 at 10:00 am

hi kiwi, i was on nortriptiline for awhile prior to gbs. in my opinion, there are better meds for pain control. like neurontin, lyrica and cymbalta. nor had me in a daze all the time, and that was on the lowest dose possible, used only at bedtime to help me sleep, it was a blessing to get off it. everyone has to find their own pain control routine, just like gbs/cidp, everyone is different when it comes to relief.

• Anonymous
      December 28, 2006 at 1:48 pm

Kiwi,

I take amitryptiline – I suppose they are in the same family. I take 25 mg. at night and it does help me sleep, sort of. It seems to take the edge off of some of the tingly stuff. I had been on it for about 3 years (at 50 mg.) and gained 30 pounds – eek, I know. Then when I saw a commercial for Cymbalta I HAD to try this and of course my doctor did. Big mistake – 3 months later I was asking my doctor to let me go back on Paxil and amitryptiline. It seems these old, tried and true medicines work just as good if not better than some new fangled ones. Plus the old ones are way cheaper. Good luck and let us know how it goes.